a simple script for genre/s management?

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

LX M

a simple script for genre/s management?

Post by LX M »

Hello all,
after years of trying to deal with genres in many mostly frustrating ways + now looking at potentially making my music collection accessible on the go using either Emby or Plex I'm feeling the urge to get a handle on my genre tagging even more. :-?

@trixmoto's GenreFinder appears to be defunct (at least it's not doing anything for me), so I'm getting desperate enough to try my hand at scripting.
Which sounds like I know anything about it.
Which I don't. :(

I tried looking at several potential start points dealing with MM scrpting for beginners but so far couldn't make head nor tail of any. But I'm thinking, if someone could help me get the first bits right, I might be able to continue from there.

Basically, all I want to do is build something that will look into a song's genre tagging after play and do simple sh..tuff like

if
Genre contains ("Pop|Rock")
and
Genre !contains ("[Pop/Rock]");
then
alter Genre to {previous content(leave unchanged+append)};"[Pop/Rock]"

to add some classifying "larger style brackets" for interfaces as incapable of fine filtering such as the abovementioned platforms.
(
If I find a way of mastering this simple stage, I'd go for BPM brackets in a later stage as a bonus, like
if
BPM is between x and y
then
set {some_field} to {some_value}
)

Is there a relatively easy way to get this cobbled together? I have no qualms to just add rules later into the script file's body as I think of them (= no need to fiddle any fancy frontend to display in MM itself).

Thank you very much in advance for any help you may be able to offer.
Cheers - LX
Peke

Re: a simple script for genre/s management?

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I would suggest that you first try to create Auto-Playlist by your criteria needs?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
LX M

Post by LX M »

:) that's viable as long as I remain inside MediaMonkey's cosmos.

My question aims at using music also in dumber surroundings such as Emby or Plex. They have nowhere near enough means to filter as smartly.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
You can export each Playlist so that other apps read it as normal playlist.

Right click on any playlist in Tree -> Send to -> M3U Playlist
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
LX M

Post by LX M »

that would still involve a lot of manual undertaking/s. I'm looking for a way to automate.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

This can automate Playlist export: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... d+playlist

You can for example have all Genre's exported as Playlist if I'm not mistaken.
LX M

Post by LX M »

thank you; I'll have a look at that.
sterlingm

Post by sterlingm »

You may find this conversation in the forum useful.
https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 14#p465814

I've been dealing with genres for a couple weeks and it's a complicated issue. As you can see from the links I provided a guy was working on this way back in 2009.

Regardless I've decided to use the top 25 as a start and go from there.
To assist with this, I'm using the QuickMood vbs script (all credit to the original developer who made this in 2014: https://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/brow ... uickmoods/ ) and simply modifying it to use the top 25 Genres.
I figure it'd be easier than going into the properties each time.

Never wrote a MM script before and am looking at how to create the mmip install file now. Maybe in a week or so I'll have it working. If someone beats me to it, no harm no foul. Please do. I'm not a huge VBS coder, so ....

I hear MM5 is javascript and html5. There is a lot of controversy surrounding that move. It may be the reason for the delay in MM5.

Regardless check out the post above for the genre research articles I found after learning that last.fm isn't the greatest for auto-tagging.

Be well.
-Sterling
sterlingm

Post by sterlingm »

Hello,

I was able to rewrite the script for QuickMoods and created a GenrePicker extension. It shows 24 Genres as default and allows for multiple selections, just like QuickMoods.

While it works there are a couple things I was hoping to fix, with some guidance.
The list of genres in the panel do not show the ampersand unless I double "&&" them in the vbs script. Then you'll get the correct view. But when selecting them you get R&&B instead of R&B in your genre list. I don't know how to fix this. I thought of creating a function that checks and search/replaces but I'm not that big a vbs coder and it quickly got "scary" and I didn't want to break what was already working.

So if anyone knows how to have the display show correctly and also insert correcting in the mp3 tags that'd be great. I'll think on it but no promises. For now the display panel just doesn't show them. "RB" or "Alternative _Punk" for example.

I'll look through what I need to do next to submit for inclusion in the extensions section.

As an aside this works just as I was hoping. It makes tagging genres for the music that is playing super easy. Now I can tag at my leisure.

Once I get it online, hope it is useful to you as well.
Later,
-Sterling