Utlimate Home Network Setup - Is this possible?

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

Luddite

Utlimate Home Network Setup - Is this possible?

Post by Luddite »

Greetings and thanks for the resource. I've been using MM for a number of years now to manage my personal music collection. I am now looking to make it accessible to anyone on my home network, and I am a little stumped as to how. I am only concerned with music, not video, and have them separated to different collections in MM.

Here is my goal:

Management system - Files & DB reside here, MM is running and managing files. Full RW access.

Client Systems:
iTunes running on Mac. I use iTunes for some minor Video management and syncing iStuff. I would like iTunes to see my music collection, but with Read Only access.
iStuff - What client(s) would be good. Again, read only access
Ubuntu Desktop(s) - another read only client.

So basically I want to be able to access from any reasonably modern platform read only, and mange from the central hosting system. Is this possible with DLNA, some other MM plugin, or what?

Thanks in advance for any help/guidance/etc.
nohitter151

Re: Utlimate Home Network Setup - Is this possible?

Post by nohitter151 »

Yes, it's possible. Just enable Media sharing in MM (Options > Media sharing). Though iTunes is not compatible with standard DLNA (they opt for their own proprietary sharing solution) so that won't work. You could use some other app on your Mac as a client though: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UP ... s#Mac_OS_X
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
heronheart

Post by heronheart »

I have my old Windows XP box running MM 4.1 Beta and have it streaming to my android phone, other Windows computers and to to my WDTV Live. Unfortunately, I can't get it to stream to my main desktop computer which runs Ubuntu 13.40. I've tried several DLNA players including Banshee and VLC. they can "see" the MediaMonkey server, but it's greyed out and clicking on it has no effect. Any ideas on how I can get this working?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey 4.1 is no longer beta so you should start with checking if you're running the final release (or the latest beta of MediaMonkey 4.1.1).

Then in the MediaMonkey Server settings make sure the Linux PC is allowed access and that conversion rules are passing songs in a format understood by the Linux PC (the DLNA client software).