How to stream from outside the home network

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

Lowlander

Re: How to stream from outside the home network

Post by Lowlander »

mjlenox wrote:(Could this be because the music at home is stored on a network drive?)
Share some local files to test this theory.
gguerra

Post by gguerra »

acraigbray wrote:I am having the same issue as reported by Eric and mhendu. I have exposed my MediaMonkey server's devicedescription.xml by opening a hole in my firewall and mapping the port to one that is forwarded by my router. I am able to browse to devicedescription.xml from outside of my home network and this works just fine. I am also able to then open MediaMonkey from a remote location, add this server and receive a successful notification that "New media server has been added". The server will then appear in the MediaMonkey client but when I attempt to expand the node I find that there is nothing to expand and that I cannot receive any content from the Server. Anyone have any suggestions for this?

Thanks,
Craig

I am having the exact same issue. DId you ever get this resolved? I set up server OK from MM at home, opened port on router, added a media server from MM client from my work PC. It does connect but shows no content. Same as your problem and I realize your post is old but just wondering?
gguerra

Post by gguerra »

I have MM 4 running as a DLNA server on a Win 7 PC from my home. It will work from my home laptop when I connect to the server using the public ip address instead of he 192.168.. IP address. It will connect to the server from my work PC but it will not list any contents as was mentioned previously. So this leads me to believe that it may be a permissions issue. I will keep trying...
acraigbray

Post by acraigbray »

In response to gguerra, I never got this working. I've tested this behavior with every subsequent released version of MM and haven't seen any differences from what was originally reported. If anyone has actually got this working I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to improve the configuration but it certainly seems like a bug.
Inserio

Post by Inserio »

I want to bump this as it is a feature I was really looking forward to using but haven't seen any further development.

I found related issues here: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/print ... g_id=11736 and here: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=12823

The second one shows a workaround to just use a different app to access your media server. This does work (and seems to work in a variety of different UPnP apps), but is not a real solution since I want to utilize the features of the MediaMonkey for Android app.

No attempts to fake MMA into thinking you're on the network when you are not legitimately connected via Wi-Fi are successful.
ehart

Post by ehart »

Will SmartPlayer play items from artist/album folders? If that works, I would give it a try, even if playlists don't work....
bensynnock

Post by bensynnock »

I've been using bubbleupnp on my android to stream my mediamonkey library over the internet. There's a windows phone app too, and I believe you can use foobar2000 to stream to a windows PC.
Daboa

Post by Daboa »

I would love to be able to do this from the Android app. For now, I'm trying to use BubbleUPnP to access my MM library remotely. I feel like I'm partway there, but it's not quite working.

When I try to connect from BubbleUPnP, it says "The remote server could be joined but returned HTTP error code 404."

Below is my configuration.
Looks like it can tell my device is trying to connect.

I've tried to connect multiple times

My router's port forwarding looks good I think.

In Bubble UPnP, I define the server as: http://<my_ip>:74
Edit: I've also tried http://<my_ip>:74/DeviceDescription.xml. Same result.

Any ideas? Thanks!
mrvegas

Post by mrvegas »

Is anyone successfully streaming to an app on their iPhone? I would love to be able to listen to my home library of 250 gig of mp3's and FLAC over my iPhone.
Nova5

Post by Nova5 »

Has this function come to MM for Android?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

No, MMA can only do in-network streaming.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I also suggest to move port outside 10000 or even forward same port.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Nova5

Post by Nova5 »

Lowlander wrote:No, MMA can only do in-network streaming.
Bummer.

Guess I'm stuck with syncing while at home for on the road.
jiri

Post by jiri »

Keep tuned though, there's a new solution in development, we hope to publish it soon... ;-)

Jiri
duffman84

Post by duffman84 »

When this happens and I can listen to my 4 TB Server at home from my Galaxy phone, my life will be complete. Oh, and also need to be able to stream different songs at once to my (soon coming) Sonos system.