How to stream from outside the home network

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

nohitter151

How to stream from outside the home network

Post by nohitter151 »

Requires MediaMonkey 4.1 or higher

1. Options > Media sharing

2. Add new server (using [Add] button)

3. Under "UPnP/DLNA" tab check "Share automatically with all new devices". Also check all devices already listed in box below (or at least the device you plan on using if it already appears there)

4. Under "Server" tab, ensure IP address set to automatic and note the port number. MUST put a check by "Accept external IP addresses"

5. Under "Shared content" make sure that at least something is checked (whatever you want to share)

6. Auto-conversion tab - whatever you want, default should be fine

7. Critical step: Open the port on your router (same port as noted from step 4) (don't install any software to "automatically forward ports", there will be ads all over offering to do this. Don't install this junk and just follow the guide provided for your router model)

8. Check if the port is really opened with http://www.canyouseeme.org/

9. If you passed step 8 then the server will now be available. You can test with a free iOS app like 8 player lite:
  1. - Install the app
  • - Settings > Browser > Servers > Add > Manual > Name: whatever you want | Server: http://YourExternalIPAddress:port/DeviceDescription.xml
-----------------------------

To manually add a server from MediaMonkey itself (for example if you want to listen to your home library using MediaMonkey but from outside the home network)

1. Right click "Media Servers" in the MM media tree > Add server

2. In the Device destination field enter the address, for example: http://YourExternalIPAddress:port/DeviceDescription.xml
  1. (where YourExternalIPaddress is the IP address of your home server)
3. The server will appear under the "Media Servers" node
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
dtsig

Re: How to stream from outside the home network

Post by dtsig »

Thanks for that nohitter151 .. going to love trying this as soon as i can
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
ehart

Post by ehart »

Please reply to this thread if you get MMW working as the external client -- I would like to hear what version you are using. I have been able to get the server working, but not the client. Thanks, Eric
philmfao

Post by philmfao »

This hasn't worked for me. Any Apps for android this would work ? I dont think this is possible with MM for Android, correct ? I have tried with Ultrasinc.. but no luck
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

philmfao wrote:This hasn't worked for me. Any Apps for android this would work ? I dont think this is possible with MM for Android, correct ?
Hasn't been implemented in MM for android yet.
I have tried with Ultrasinc.. but no luck
You will need to find a UPnP app that allows to specify a URL

philmfao242

Post by philmfao242 »

I have a laptop running constantly with MM4 on Win-7. On the same network, I have a PC win-7 that accesses perfectly the laptop's MM4 db (except with sometimes errors I have to close MM and reopen -- still have to figure that out). I have a Nexus 5 trying to access the laptop's MM4 db. I have opened the ports on my router AND win-7.. Did the setup in MM for sharing.. All apps cannot access it outside the network; MM4 says that my app has accessed the server, but on the app itself it says 'connnection failed. didn't understand the reply'

Please help !
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

philmfao242 wrote:I have a laptop running constantly with MM4 on Win-7. On the same network, I have a PC win-7 that accesses perfectly the laptop's MM4 db (except with sometimes errors I have to close MM and reopen -- still have to figure that out). I have a Nexus 5 trying to access the laptop's MM4 db. I have opened the ports on my router AND win-7.. Did the setup in MM for sharing.. All apps cannot access it outside the network; MM4 says that my app has accessed the server, but on the app itself it says 'connnection failed. didn't understand the reply'

Please help !
The app needs to understand a descriptive XML file. Maybe your app doesn't support this (you never said what app you are trying to access with).

lotherius

Post by lotherius »

Is there any security at all in this? Or can anyone who connects have full access to my library?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

lotherius wrote:Is there any security at all in this? Or can anyone who connects have full access to my library?
On the UPnP/DLNA tab of the server options you can enable/disable devices at will, and choose whether new devices are allowed to connect automatically or only after asking permission on the first connect.

mhendu

Post by mhendu »

I am trying to access my home MediaMonkey UPnP server from my office, using MediaMonkey on my laptop. I can access the server just fine when I bring my laptop home. Also, I can load the XML file in my browser from work so I know that the port is open. I can also see in my home MediaMonkey server that the work IP is allowed access. However, when I click on the arrow to try to view my UPnP library when at work nothing happens - the arrow disappears but nothing expands below the server name.

Any idea what might be going on here?

I've also tried from XBMC and no luck there either.
ehart

Post by ehart »

Hi mhendu,

I had (and still have) the same problem. See this thread: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 20&t=75018

If you have an iPad, I suggest you install "8Player Lite" (the free demo version) on it and try connecting from a public hotspot to your home Media Monkey server. I was able to get that working, which confirmed for me that everything was OK on the server side. Ultimately I concluded that Media Monkey works as an Internet SERVER, but only as a local CLIENT.

I believe this is a bug, and eagerly await a report from someone who is actually using an updated Media Monkey version to successfully use MMW as BOTH the client AND the server over the Internet. In the meantime you may be able to get an alternate client to work, if that meets your needs.

Cordially,

Eric
mhendu

Post by mhendu »

ehart wrote:Hi mhendu,

I had (and still have) the same problem. See this thread: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 20&t=75018

If you have an iPad, I suggest you install "8Player Lite" (the free demo version) on it and try connecting from a public hotspot to your home Media Monkey server. I was able to get that working, which confirmed for me that everything was OK on the server side. Ultimately I concluded that Media Monkey works as an Internet SERVER, but only as a local CLIENT.

I believe this is a bug, and eagerly await a report from someone who is actually using an updated Media Monkey version to successfully use MMW as BOTH the client AND the server over the Internet. In the meantime you may be able to get an alternate client to work, if that meets your needs.

Cordially,

Eric
Thanks Eric. I guess I'll stick with Subsonic for now but really wanted to be able to use my home playlists while at work. I don't have an iPad - was attempting to find a UPnP client for Windows that would stream over WAN but so far no luck.
ehart

Post by ehart »

was attempting to find a UPnP client for Windows that would stream over WAN but so far no luck.
Let us know if you find one!
acraigbray

Post by acraigbray »

I am having the same issue as reported by Eric and mhendu. I have exposed my MediaMonkey server's devicedescription.xml by opening a hole in my firewall and mapping the port to one that is forwarded by my router. I am able to browse to devicedescription.xml from outside of my home network and this works just fine. I am also able to then open MediaMonkey from a remote location, add this server and receive a successful notification that "New media server has been added". The server will then appear in the MediaMonkey client but when I attempt to expand the node I find that there is nothing to expand and that I cannot receive any content from the Server. Anyone have any suggestions for this?

Thanks,
Craig

mjlenox

Post by mjlenox »

Thanks for all of the info. Unfortunately, I cannot seem to find a client windows phone 8.1 app that will stream UPNP over the internet. There's one called Smart Player that comes oh-so-close. It allows manual input of the upnp server address, finds my home MM Server, and even loads all of the folders and playlists! Alas, it shows every folder and playlist has 0 items in it, so it's then quite useless. (Could this be because the music at home is stored on a network drive?)

If anyone knows of a WP client app that does truly configurable upnp, please let me know! MM is my musical life, with all of my genres, artists and AutoPlaylists set up just the way I want. It's just a shame I can't play this stuff while traveling.

Ciao,

Mark