Need advice for listening outside of home

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

elmerbumpkin

Need advice for listening outside of home

Post by elmerbumpkin »

Hello-
I have MM Gold, lifetime license, and am running XP SP3 on my music computer. The computer is hard wired into my router.

The router is an ASUS Wireless Router RT-N66U, and has a USB port on it. My music is on a 1TB USB ext. drive currently hooked up to the computer.

The Router has 'AiDisk' which shares a connected USB drive, but I'm not sure if that would allow access through the internet, away from my wireless router.

I'm mainly interested in using MM on my Nook HD+ to stream from my library when I am at work or traveling.

1 - do I switch the USB drive and use the functions in the router?

2 - do I leave the USB drive hooked up to computer and 'share' the drive from there?

Any help, or directions to threads is appreciated, thanks!
dtsig

Re: Need advice for listening outside of home

Post by dtsig »

If your router has the ability to serve your files externally then that might be your best/quickest bet.

There is a topic on the board (don't have the link handy) to have MMW use it dlna service to serve externally. This might also take care of your problem. This would require MMW to be running at all times etc. If you travel a lot then the router option is probably your best bet.
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
elmerbumpkin

Post by elmerbumpkin »

Thanks for the quick reply.

Ok, I removed the USB drive from the computer and plugged it into the router.

When I open the AiDisk tab on the router interface, it says this:

FTP server is not enabled. Enable the FTP server in here.
For advanced file-sharing configuration. Click here
Warning: The AiDisk had been set. If you set the AiDisk again, the previous account/password and access permission will be reset. To add more account, Select here to edit the account profile.

Do I need to enable the FTP to use DLNA with MM?

When I click the advanced file-sharing, it has options to enable FTP, Share without account, and refresh. The drive shows up, but I don't have a good understanding of my options here.

Not sure what the Warning means, either.

ALSO- How do I get MM to 'see' the drive where it is now?

Thanks again!
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

Okay .. i might have confused you about using the router/external and vs using MMW. These are really 2 different things (unless you mean mmw as a client from outside your network).

First, to use your router and external drive. You don't want FTP. This allows upload/download of files. The advance filesharing is the right direction. The real question is does you router support dlna? It might be possible to share your files externally. My first NAS drive had this capability but it did not support dlna. Sharing files might just mean that you can connect too your drive/files like you do internally. So you need to see if your router supports dlna.

If you want to use MMW as a 'server' then you need the link I mentioned. It is supposed to allow mmw to be connected to from outside your network. I have to admit I haven't set it up yet but it is written by one off the MMW heavyweights so ..

I will look for the post and put it in this thread.
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

DTSig
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

It wasn't a long search. Look at the first topic in this section here
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

DTSig
elmerbumpkin

Post by elmerbumpkin »

Thanks again, dtsig-

My main goal is accessing drive from outside of home network, and was hoping to use the MM I have installed on my Nook HD+ or on my laptop. I can use something else on either if that is what needs to happen.

At the house, I don't really care about within the wireless network streaming. This is all for remote access.

Here are the specs on my router: UPnP, DLNA, DNS Proxy, DHCP, NTP Client, DDNS, Port Triger, Virtual Server, DMZ

Thanks
elmerbumpkin

Post by elmerbumpkin »

Okay, that thread looks like what I am after to get access from 'outside.'

I'll give that a try here in a little and report back, thanks again!
elmerbumpkin

Post by elmerbumpkin »

I just upgraded to the latest version, 4.1

In order to re-see my files after I moved the drive to the router, I went to OPTIONS | LIBRARY | FILE MONITOR and navigated through My Network which showed the workgroup which showed the router name which showed the drive letter and name, so I checked the drive, clicked Scan Continuously and Scan at Startup, clicked ok, and my library is repopulating.

Is that an okay way to do that? I'll find out if the playlists still work shortly.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

That's not the way to do it. Either use File > Locate Moved/Missing on the files or: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... w_computer

The only way Playlists would work in your method is if they were exported on your PC and re-imported with the scan (AutoPlaylists should still work though).