New install .. still can't install service

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

dtsig

New install .. still can't install service

Post by dtsig »

Because of the problems I have been having (sure support is tired of hearing from me :) ) I decided to reinstall. So uninstalled and wiped the registry and files clean of anything MM related. Then installed the new beta.
Restored the database and all is fine.
Now try to install the service, get prompted with password .. fine ... get prompted with uac .. fine .. the POW SC StartService: OpenService FAILED 5: Access denied.

This is STILL FAILING
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
Blomi

Re: New install .. still can't install service

Post by Blomi »

I am also gett this trouble. Still waiting for a solution. I think the problem stays behind the User Account in Windows 8. This ist something like billgates@outlook.com but MM still seas the name: Bill Gates.
MMA, always currently beta
MMW4, always current Beta (Currently the last stable build, since it is a long time ;-) )
MMW5, alpha testing, but not in combination of MMA
OnePlus 3, Citrus-CAF
Android 8.1
Windows 10
meljmartin

Post by meljmartin »

With Win 8.1 I have to run MM as administrator in order to install the services... otherwise it "installs" without error, but it's not actually installed. I then have to "uninstall" before MM will try to install again. It's a bit confusing and I'm not sure it should actually work this way as i would have though MM would have attempted to elevate before installing a service and fail if it couldn't.
dtsig

1717 Install service still not working

Post by dtsig »

Band new computer, win7 (current). 3 programs installed.
I install MMW then tools/options/dnla/install service. Enter my password, accept COM message and 2 seconds later error message it couldnt be done. After OK on error message box, button changes to UNINSTALL???

Service doesn't appear to be there (task manager/services) so I go back in and click uninstall, accept com message, button changes to INSTALL. So I INSTALL, add password, accept COM then things just lock up. About 2 minutes later the error message comes back up. but after clicking OK this time, button turns to UNINSTALL and the service appears to be in services. WHAT?? But of course the service doesn't start when MMW is shut down

[SC] StartService: OpenService FAILED 5:
Access is Denied.

This has happened and reported on before over and over ... This really needs to get fixed. Again .. brand new computer and only 4 programs installed now.
Last edited by Lowlander on Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing topic
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

DTSig
nohkul

Post by nohkul »

I kept getting the error that it failed to install due to invalid login as well. I got it to work by going into the Windows Services Microsoft Management Console and re-entering my password.

After installing it as a service in MM:
1. Click on Start and search for "Services"
2. Click on "Services" shortcut with gears icon
3. Double click on "MediaMonkeyService" to open properties
4. Click on "Log On" tab
5. Re-enter the password and confirm password.
6. Click on OK.
7. Restart computer and test.

Running Windows 7 and MM 4.1.5.1719.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

Yes .. that is the only way it seems that it will work. MMW just isn't up to the task itself
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

DTSig