Confused By Terms. DLNA vs. STREAMING.

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

Agrajag

Confused By Terms. DLNA vs. STREAMING.

Post by Agrajag »

I'm trying to understand the various terms at play with respect to my goal. I own mmw gold and mma pro.

I would like mma to be able to see my mmw library anywhere. That mainly means on my Android phone (or tablet) when outside my network. I have a Plex server setup that works just fine but I like the features of mma better for music playback (access to my Playlists and lyrics mainly).

However, I can't get that working so far and the FAQ seems to hint at UPnP not working outside the local network. There's also the references to remote control. To me that means controlling mmw while away but having it playback at my desktop (which doesn't make much sense so I wonder if it's just the term that's throwing me).

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Lowlander

Re: Confused By Terms. DLNA vs. STREAMING.

Post by Lowlander »

DLNA is a certification for UPnP capable device. DLNA/UPnP is a local network auto-discovery and streaming protocol. It allows any DLNA/UPnP capable client to see and stream from any DLNA/UPnP server. It also includes control protocols so that you can control a client from another location.

MMA can only stream from a local DLNA/UPnP server, it is not possible to stream from one outside the network. If you want to stream outside the network see: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 20&t=75088