Setting up Roku 3 to stream MM?

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

litlfrog

Setting up Roku 3 to stream MM?

Post by litlfrog »

I've seen passing references to people using MM4 to stream to a Roku device. The Roku Soundbridge used to the only compatible hardware, but since 1. MediaMonkey can share files via UPnP/DLNA and 2. the Roku 3 added DLNA support to the native Roku Media Player channel, this should be a piece of cake to set up. I've followed the instructions here: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... ervers/4.0. I've tried Plex before and didn't like it. The free version of PlayOn Media Server has worked great for streaming video, so I was hoping music would show up similarly. No such like. So . . . what obvious step am I missing here to see my playlists, or at least my music, on the Roku?
Lowlander

Re: Setting up Roku 3 to stream MM?

Post by Lowlander »

Which version of MediaMonkey and where does it fail (see Server, see files or play files).

It may be limited file format support on the Roku, you should check what's supported and then see Auto-Conversion (Gold feature) in Media Server settings in MMW to see if it matches.
litlfrog

Post by litlfrog »

I'm on MM 4.1.4.1709. MM definitely sees that the media server exists; when I look under Media Servers in the sidebar, PlayOn shows up. I can certainly point the Media Server to the folder with all music files, but that just makes the files available--not the playlists and other neat features of MediaMonkey.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You'll need to browse to the MediaMonkey Server and then whatever you've shared in MediaMonkey should be available including Playlists. You setup what to share in the Media Server configuration under Tools > Options > Media Sharing.
litlfrog

Post by litlfrog »

OK but there is no MediaMonkey server that shows up on the Roku. That's the problem. I presumed that since I've set up MediaMonkey for UPnP/DLNA and I have a DLNA server installed I should see SOMETHING show up. I'm not married to using PlayOn's media server and would use any workable server software that the Roku can show. I've been trying to get this working on and off for months and haven't made any progress.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Do you have any other client (WMP, smart TV, smartphone, etc.) on your network you can use to test if the MediaMonkey Media Server is seen or not? I'm on the latest beta (you're on an old release) and Roku Media Player sees the MediaMonkey Server.
litlfrog

Post by litlfrog »

I'm still not clear on this: does MediaMonkey have its own capability to act as a server, or is it always just interfacing with something else? In any case my smartphone doesn't see anything from Media Monkey either.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey can act both as server and as client, nothing else required. If clients can't see the server you'll need to check your settings under Tools > Options > Media Sharing: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... ervers/4.0
litlfrog

Post by litlfrog »

It's not as if there's a ton of options on that screen. There's a single item in that list called MediaMonkey Library, marked as running. Please assume that I don't know anything about UPnP/DLNA, because that's close to the case. If I have sharing enabled in MM, why wouldn't I be able to see the share on other devices?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

That you can configure and has all the options.
litlfrog

Post by litlfrog »

Lowlander, I'm going to need to ask you to stop responding to my questions. Either you're not reading what I'm actually asking, English isn't your first language, or at this point you're just deliberately being obstructive. I work in tech support so I really AM trying to be as precise with my questions as I know how to be. I have MediaMonkey Gold installed on my home computer. I want to be able to listen to that music through the Roku 3 connected to my television. What do I need to do to make that happen?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Configure the MediaMonkey Server. Did you try that? Did you read the link? Is MediaMonkey on the same network as your other devices? Is your Firewall allowing MediaMonkey through?
litlfrog

Post by litlfrog »

This problem is fixed now, just wanted to update this thread in case anyone searched for it. MM was configured correctly per the instructions. The only thing I changed to make it suddenly work was to switch the port number.
ifishnc

Post by ifishnc »

I went to this post for help setting up Roku. I know it is old. But "litifrog" needs to apologize to Lowlander.
That was a really nasty post by him. I have been helped by Lowlander several times and consider him/her to be a fantastic asset. Remember the help is free. Try calling Capitol One and see what kind of service you get.
THANK YOU LOWLANDER!!! :wink: