Unsupported format for Chromecast?

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

MabelVanA

Unsupported format for Chromecast?

Post by MabelVanA »

I run MM-server on a Win10 computer and use MMA to find files. All works OK until I try to 'cast' a FLAC file to my Chromecast; then I get the message that the format is "unsupported by the receiver". Which is patently untrue, since I can 'cast' the file with MMA when using a different Mediaserver (like Plex), or even when using no mediaserver at all (with VLC for Android). But both methods have other serious drawbacks and I'd much prefer to use MM-server and MMA. I presume the mesage is generated by MM-server; is there
something wrong with the 'profile' of the Chromecast? Can someone maybe suggest what I can do about it? I'd be really grateful.
Mabel
Ludek

Re: Unsupported format for Chromecast?

Post by Ludek »

Hi,
are you sure that your are casting really the same FLAC file as with Plex and that auto-conversion isn't involved on neither side?

You can check in MMW > Options > Media Sharing > double-click the server > Auto-conversion tab : https://www.dropbox.com/s/x388jotms7zya ... 2.png?dl=0

Try to temporarily uncheck all checkboxes there to see if that makes any difference?
MabelVanA

Post by MabelVanA »

@Ludek: Apologies for not reacting sooner (not for lack of interest, I assure you!).
Yes, I am sure it's the same FLAC files. But indeed I was wrong, MMA and Plex doesn't work either. Although no error message: the file seems to be playing OK, with the progress bar progressing, but no sound is heard.
VLC directly (that is: not using a mediaserver but only the file system) works. VLC and Plex works too.

Following your suggestion I unchecked all the options under the auto-conversion tab. Made no difference.
I then tried to fiddle a bit with the other options (on the auto-conversion tab) since it struck me that FLAC was not among the 'supported formats on UPnP/dnla clients'. I did manage to add FLAC, but that didn't help. Oh well, it was already clear I didn't know what I was doing, since the files play fine on my phone (using MM-server and MMA) so these 'supported formats' must have a different meaning.

I much hope you have other suggestions. Other settings to check maybe? Somewhere, there must be a kind of 'profile' for the Chromecast dongle which leads either MM-server or MMA to think that it doesn't support FLAC files.

I'm really at my wits end since after many months of trying out a number of mediaservers ánd android players I still have no useable combination for casting my music to my audiosystem. Only mp3 files work kind-of OK, but I also have a lot in FLACS (44.1K/16 and 96K/24). VLC with Plex works, but this combination presents me with an unuseable userinterface.
So far, the only option to play all files is by not using a mediaserver but browsing the files on the (Windows) computer where the files are stored. But I really can't find my way around my music anymore without a mediaserver and after years of judiciously adding consistent meta-data it's just a LITLLE BIT frustrating to find i can't make use of them :-)
I'd be so grateful if you could help me to get this to work!!
Mabel
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi,
so the issue happens only when MMA is the control point?
If VLC is the control point (on Android) and MM is the server (on PC) then the same FLAC file is playing OK ?

Does the issue happen when you cast the same FLAC file directy from MM5 (on PC)?
Viz https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... t_Renderer
The last MM5 build here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=86639&sd=d
MabelVanA

Post by MabelVanA »

@Ludek: Thanks to you I know a lot more now and I think I can solve my problem.
I've got 2 dongles:
- 1. A ChromeCast Audio on my sound-system (connected with WiFi).
- 2. A Chromecast on my TV (connected with wired ethernet).
Stupidly, I didn't try casting to my TV anymore since I got things setup right; now I tried - and it works flawlessly!

So, I now think the problem is in a difference between 'Chromecast Audio' and 'regular ChromeCast'. (I wouldn't think the other difference, WiFi connection, could be the problem since it works fine for all mp3 files and, like I said, with VLC and bypassing the MM-server it works fine for ALL files.)
As the (much under-valued and often misunderstood) Chromecast Audio seems the be on its way out I wouldn't think the MM-team would be willing to spend more time on it. But at least I have a way out now: I'll buy another 'regular ChromeCast' and a device to split-off the sound channel from the hdmi-output to an optical output. (And I'll connect with an ethernet cable, just to be sure.)
BTW: as per you instruction I installed MM v.5 and what a treat it is!
Mabel
MabelVanA

Post by MabelVanA »

Oh BTW, I forgot to answer your first question :"If VLC is the control point (on Android) and MM is the server (on PC) then the same FLAC file is playing OK?".
No. VLC and MM-server don't seem to work together. Although 'albums' etc. are displayed, they are mostly 'empty'. Same for 'location': empty.
Only a few albums show tracks. I tried to figure out what set these albums apart, but couldn't.

But all FLAC files are playing OK with VLC when I do not use a mediaserver (but simply the file system).
mabel
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
MabelVanA wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:07 pm But all FLAC files are playing OK with VLC when I do not use a mediaserver (but simply the file system).
That is because VLC uses own custom codecs and it is not dependent on native device supported codecs for streaming. Do MMA play FLAC by simply the file system (Folders browser in MMA)?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
MabelVanA

Post by MabelVanA »

@Peke: sorry Peke, 'Play OK' was shorthand for what I described in my question: 'casting' to the ChromeCast Audio. Codecs for MMA or VLC are not involved; the relevant codecs reside in the ChromeCast. MMA with MM-server works fine to play files just on my phone.
mabel
MabelVanA

Post by MabelVanA »

It still seems like a bug which could so very easily be remedied. Simply regarding the 'ChromeCast Audio' as the same device as 'ChromeCast' would be enough, it seems to me.
Mabel