Reconfiguring for streaming: MM Server, or NAS DLNA server?

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

kvon

Reconfiguring for streaming: MM Server, or NAS DLNA server?

Post by kvon »

Hi all,

Need some advice on how to (re)configure my system for server/streaming. Up til now it's been simple - MM & music library both on one machine, plugged directly into the stereo as the primary audio system. I have a NAS on the network, which has a DLNA Media Server but until now I've used it only to backup my music library, haven't used the server. I'm going to upgrade the stereo system and stream all content through a Sonos device, and need to separate the computer from the stereo system.

I see several different ways to do this, not sure about pros & cons:

I could host MM and the music library on another computer on the WiFi network, stream that to the Sonos. I don't think I need the MM Media Server function to do this - but would it help?

Or - Run MM on that computer with the music library on the NAS, using the NAS DLNA server. The NAS is hard-wired to the WiFi router by ethernet - would this affect streaming speed? (i.e. music streams by ethernet to the router, then by WiFi to the Sonos - vs - by WiFi from the computer to the router then by WiFi from the router to the Sonos?) Also, how to manage the library: Where does the MM.DB file live with this arrangement? Would MM playlists be available to the DLNA server, or would I have to manually export them to separate files on the NAS?

Also, I just now found out that MM5 exists - Currently running 4.1.30. Any benefit to this scenario of upgrading to the v5 Beta?

Lots of questions - any info appreciated. Thanks!
Lowlander

Re: Reconfiguring for streaming: MM Server, or NAS DLNA server?

Post by Lowlander »

If you want access to MediaMonkey features (like Playlists, AutoPlaylists and Play History) I'd recommend using MediaMonkey as your DLNA Server, this is what I do instead of the NAS DLNA Server. Which PC you host this on is up to what works best for you. You do need to enable the Media Sharing server in MediaMonkey for devices to access the MediaMonkey DLNA Server: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... ervers/5.0

To get Playlists on the NAS DLNA Server you'd need to export them from MediaMonkey.

MediaMonkey 5 added Chromecasting besides DLNA casting: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... 7s_New/5.0

In most cases wifi is more than sufficient for music streaming.
kvon

Post by kvon »

Many thanks Lowlander - I got the MM server set up and it's working, at least from the MM end. There's a weird glitch in the Sonos system - Sonos will only allow me to select one track at a time to add to the play queue. Bizarre. I've got this posted in the Sonos forums but don't expect there's a fix, so I need alternatives.

You said MM5 can do casting - sounds like an option but don't want to go to the computer doing the casting to manage the play queue. Can the MM app do that - control the server/casting on that computer?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey 4 can also DLNA cast, MM5 adds Chromecasting to the capabilities.

You can have a DLNA Server, a DLNA control point and a DLNA client. MediaMonkey for Android and MediaMonkey for Windows can both work as the control point casting media to a DLNA client from a DLNA server.

Documentation: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... ervers/5.0