PS3 vs PS4 media server access.

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

HANNTHEFTAUDIO

PS3 vs PS4 media server access.

Post by HANNTHEFTAUDIO »

I'm having an extremely hard time with this one all the way around. I have no clue how to even search for the solution to this, so I'll probably be the first to ask about it.

As if the title didn't give this away, I have an issue to work out that seems to literally make no sense. How is it that my ps3 can access my mediamonkey server no problem, yet my ps4 is denied at every turn, regardless of the fact that I allowed it? I Quad-checked to make sure that the IP address was in fact allowed, I rebooted my ps4 from scratch, i stopped/restarted the server 6x.... My ps4 can see my server, but access is denied no matter what I do. My ps3, on the other hand, can access the server and contents no problem.... just can't play any of them yet as they are in flac and ps3 can't play flac but still access is granted. But oh no, not my ps4. How is this possible? And How can I fix this? At least the ps4 plays flac ok, i just need to grant access somehow.
Lowlander

Re: PS3 vs PS4 media server access.

Post by Lowlander »

Have you tried removing any unrecognizable clients as well as the PS4 from the client list. It should then request access again in MediaMonkey (make sure to share automatically is enabled in MediaMonkey Media Server settings).

This may work better for you in MediaMonkey 5.
HANNTHEFTAUDIO

Post by HANNTHEFTAUDIO »

Lowlander wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:22 pm Have you tried removing any unrecognizable clients as well as the PS4 from the client list. It should then request access again in MediaMonkey (make sure to share automatically is enabled in MediaMonkey Media Server settings).

This may work better for you in MediaMonkey 5.
I'm just now seeing this, so I apologize deeply. To answer the question, there were no other clients to start with. All I remember is that my ps3 picked it up right away with no issues at all, but I couldn't play any of my media because the ps3 only supported mp3 and i only had flac. the ps4, on the other hand, wouldn't even try to find it at all. If I recall correctly this was using MM on my phone (that was 3 or 4 phones ago.. oops) while I've been using MM on pc for about a couple years. I think I was on MM4 at the time as well. I went Lifetime gold some months ago
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can install MMW5 as a Portable Install to test this out.
HANNTHEFTAUDIO

Post by HANNTHEFTAUDIO »

I was able to check just now at the time of this reply and found that my ps4 can in fact find the pc version of mediamonkey with very little difficulty if any. i am also able to play my FLAC files (i had to set rules for FLAC files with higher bitrate then what the ps4 can handle). the bad news is that the ps4 still doesn't exactly like playing them (it takes about 2 or 3 tries before the ps4 media player will just play the file). This is only preliminary testing and will want to test this against long term gametime, and online gaming. overall my music listening experience wouldn't have been such a pain in my backside if I could just use a USB drive in the first place. problem with that is i also use an external drive as extended storage which means it's either one or the other. so my only other options are to either stream Spotify or access my music from a server.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
THX for feedback, delay/fail to play maybe is not neither fault of PS4 or MM but actually bandwidth issue and playback times out. Also as you have conversion active it is possible that it times out while MM convert Flac, would be interesting that you try with MP3 files just for testing (Debug log would be most welcome).

If you send log file it should show us bottlenecks where we can improve if possible.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts