Feedback on Android app for MediaMonkey

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

Degeim

Feedback on Android app for MediaMonkey

Post by Degeim »

Hi there!

I've been working on an Android remote for MediaMonkey for a while now, and after some persuasion from my friends, I finally got around to publish it on Google Play last week. And, to my surprise, it looks like there is a lot of people interested in such an app!

However, I realize that it is still a very simple app, and I would like to hear what people would want in such an app. And where is better to ask such a question than in the MediaMonkey forum? :D

If you haven't seen the app yet (and you probably haven't), you can take a look here:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... remotefree

I would love to get suggestions for further improvements of the app!

Last edited by Degeim on Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pomozki

Re: Feedback on Android app for MediaMonkey

Post by pomozki »

oh, for a moment I thought this was an app for controlling the music on your mobile? that's what I'd love to see, a MediaMonkey app that filters music on a mobile phone with the same advanced search function (filtering by tags) that MM Gold has
am I asking too much :D
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

pomozki wrote:app for controlling the music on your mobile
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 19&t=57366
Degeim

Post by Degeim »

Yeah, this is a remote for your computer. It does not support streaming music to your Android device. ;)
MMuser2011

Post by MMuser2011 »

Magic Nodes v4.3.3 (2018-10-03) last free version SQL Viewer v2.4 (2009-10-25)
ExternalTools v1.4 (2011-05-09) iTunesMonkey 1.0 + Acoustid
Calculate Cover Size v1.7 (2012-10-23) RegExp Find & Replace v4.4.9 (2018-10-03) last free version
pomozki

Post by pomozki »

Lowlander wrote:
pomozki wrote:app for controlling the music on your mobile
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 19&t=57366
thanks for the link - but it is more than 1 year old - so nothing's happened about a MM mobile app for more than a year?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

That was just a discussion including comments from developers that this is being worked on. This is currently still being worked on.
Canule

Post by Canule »

Thumbs up, another guy released an app for MM but it comes a lot shot to control MM, this one looks promising with out hanging up MM once a while and slow response, thanks!
What kind of script language - compiler did you use for your app, necessitas @ Qt ?
Degeim

Post by Degeim »

Thank you, Canule. I will release a quite large update soon now, which hopefully fixes the sporadic hangs and slow response.

The server is made in C#, and the app in Java (Dalvik).
jas.lop

Post by jas.lop »

Please Please have a way to seperate album artists from artists. I havent been able to find a player that does this
Degeim

Post by Degeim »

jas.lop: Where do you want this distinction to be made?
sirandar

Post by sirandar »

Curiosity led me to try out this Android Remote.

Setup was easy, the only problem I had was with my own firewall blocking requests.

Works like a charm.... very responsive and a good control feature set.

Both server and client was written very well written with good instructions.

The only small issue is a practical one ...... wifi sucks the battery life out of android phones (mine at least) so it really isn't practical so you have to remember to turn it off and on where appropriate. Fortunately reactivating wifi seems to reconnect everything reliably

The PC server software is also very compact and simple ...... no bloatware like Itunes uses

Five Stars.
Peace through music
Degeim

Post by Degeim »

Thank you, Sirandar, good to hear that you liked it!

As for your wifi/battery concern, I am planning to implement bluetooth connection later (which may help you if bluetooth is kinder to the battery -- I don't know).
AdmiralCrunch

Post by AdmiralCrunch »

Degeim,
Awesome job! I was planning on working on project almost exactly this, since I need to replace my dying Apple TV. I've just donated on the project site as a reward for saving me from having to crawl through a ginormous NDK book. So yeah, thanks!

The only feature I need is a audio stream so that I can use hear the audio through the headphones on the Android. (The video I want to leave on my projector/monitor 2. I have volume issues where I am now.) Do you plan on implementing something like this soon? (If you need funding to complete this extension, please let me know.) Or alternatively, do you know if this would work one of the mediamoney streaming apps?
sirandar

Post by sirandar »

After using MM Remote more I am even more impressed with it.
It is very polished considering it just came out.

Being able to control the windows system volume is a very nice touch.

The search works very well too. It would be easier if ratings were searchable by stars instead of percent but that is a small point.

When I activate wifi on my Android and start MM remote, it actually starts MM and connects reliably.

Playlists and adding songs to playlists is very well implemented.

I would be very hard pressed to find any improvements without turning this app into bloatware. You could offer a few skins maybe.

It is ready for prime time and you should be charging for it, but it may not be a large market.

sirandar wrote:Curiosity led me to try out this Android Remote.

Setup was easy, the only problem I had was with my own firewall blocking requests.

Works like a charm.... very responsive and a good control feature set.

Both server and client was written very well written with good instructions.

The only small issue is a practical one ...... wifi sucks the battery life out of android phones (mine at least) so it really isn't practical so you have to remember to turn it off and on where appropriate. Fortunately reactivating wifi seems to reconnect everything reliably

The PC server software is also very compact and simple ...... no bloatware like Itunes uses

Five Stars.
Peace through music