Syncing Copies All Tracks Again

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

Acemac

Syncing Copies All Tracks Again

Post by Acemac »

Currently using MMA 90 & MMW 1617 using Windows 7 32bit syncing to a Samsung Galaxy S2 to 32gb external card.

The last two builds were pretty unusable to me as syncing either via usb or wifi had so many issues as detailed in a post elsewhere.

The problem with duplicate files has been resolved, but now every time I sync over USB it recopies every single track all over again. Not so much of a problem when only a small number of files were copied, but it prevents using MMA as it is intended. I haven't tested wireless sync as in the past this was way too slow to be useable for large numbers of files.

Apart from that everything else seems to be ok, although I have noticed on a couple of occaisions MMA spinning circle search doesn't always pick up newly synced tracks until the phone is restarted and ran again.

Thanks,

Adrian.
Acemac

Re: Syncing Copies All Tracks Again

Post by Acemac »

Just tested wireless syncing and like over USB it's recopying everything all over again.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

Yes i also got this re-copy instead of just running through the sync list and adding newly added songs.

I at first thought it was because of the songs all being updated with new ratings but i didnt play all the songs so they didnt get new ratings.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Acemac

Post by Acemac »

Just tried 92, it still writes every track again on every sync and is also not deleting individual songs from the test playlist i've been using that are no longer included in it.
Acemac

Post by Acemac »

After a couple of days playing round with 92 I've found even more problems on top of the existing ones I've been having.

When syncing over USB playcounts are not updated till it's sync'd a second time and it's removing album names from every single sync'd file included in the playlist from the tagged files on my desktop PC's database.

Adrian.
mcow

Post by mcow »

I played a number of sync'd tracks from the tablet's SD card, brought the tablet home, played a couple more, then used UPnP to browse to the UPnP server (NOT the sync server: I have two servers in MM4.1). Played a few cuts, stopped in the middle of the third one. Then I went to the computer: only the track that had been stopped had the play counted in the library. Then (1) imported plays from last.fm and (2) sync'd tablet. This sync apparently made a second copy of every track in the sync list.
Not only did a Sync turn into a Reload Everything, but the local tablet plays did not sync over. (Neither did the UPnP tablet plays, but I didn't expect that.)

One thing that happened in the interim was getting an update from ICS to JB on my tablet since the last sync, so that may be abnormal conditions.

Anyway, this was with MMA90, and MMW 1617. I then installed 92 and wiped the Music and MediaMonkey folders on the SD card. Starting again...
MarkODD

Post by MarkODD »

Just installed MMW build 4.1.0.1624 and MMA 1.0.2.0102

Synced 2 albums to Samsung Galaxy SII 16GB external SD card over USB. Played 1 song and rated it. Reconnected over USB and auto synced. All tracks were copied over again, the play count in MMW was not increased, the rating was not updated in MMW.

Sync has never worked correctly for me but the play counts and ratings were being synced back in earlier versions.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Can you check is if same thing happen using Wi-Fi? I wonder if there is some settings issues.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
captainmcl

Post by captainmcl »

I am having this issue via WiFi on builds 1625 and 104. Original sync was via USB. See my additional comments in http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 21&t=70329
CaptainMCL
Frisco, TX, USA
captainmcl

Post by captainmcl »

As I troubleshoot this further, I guess I'll put my comments here since they are more specific to the topic of duplication of tracks.

The song that was being copied when I killed the WiFi sync yesterday was "Amanda" by Boston. When I go into that artist on MMA I see three tracks: "Amanda" x2 and "We're Ready." However, I went into the folder just now via explorer and there were only two .mp3 files: Amanda and We're Ready. I went back to MMA and looked at the properties for the two Amandas, and they show the same path/filename. The file shows the date/time of yesterday's sync. So it appears that WiFi sync re-downloaded the song and added a second entry to the database.

Here's another strange one that might be related... or might just be due to stopping the sync. I added some audiobooks to my sync yesterday, too. Via USB I had previously sent audiobooks to a folder outside the Music folder. I did not specify this in my WiFi sync, and it created an Audiobooks folder inside the Music folder. There it duplicated a 30-track audiobook I already had loaded. (Which may not be an error, since the profile had a different location, although I would hope that the sync process would identify the existing copy and either remove it or not duplicate it. That's a different question, though.) Here's the strange thing: it is (correctly) only listed as a single book in the Audiobooks node in MMA, but with 60 tracks. But when I go into the book, only 30 tracks appear. Their properties show them to be the previously-loaded files, not the one synched yesterday.

Maybe that's not so odd... Audiobooks that I added to this sync that had not been uploaded before are also listed in the Audiobooks node with the correct number of tracks, but there are no files listed when I go into them. That probably makes sense to someone who understands the inner workings of the sync, since I interrupted the sync -- it appears that it adds the books to the database, complete with track count, before actually downloading the files. It appears that may be the case for podcasts also.
CaptainMCL
Frisco, TX, USA
billa123

Post by billa123 »

Acemac wrote:Currently using MMA 90 & MMW 1617 using Windows 7 32bit syncing to a Samsung Galaxy S2 to 32gb external card.

The last two builds were pretty unusable to me as syncing either via usb or wifi had so many issues as detailed in a post elsewhere.

The problem with duplicate files has been resolved, but now every time I sync over USB it recopies every single track all over again. Not so much of a problem when only a small number of files were copied, but it prevents using MMA as it is intended. I haven't tested wireless sync as in the past this was way too slow to be useable for large numbers of files.

Apart from that everything else seems to be ok, although I have noticed on a couple of occaisions MMA spinning circle search doesn't always pick up newly synced tracks until the phone is restarted and ran again.

Thanks,

Adrian.

Facing the same issue again. What to do next??
BigInJapan

Post by BigInJapan »

In some of my sync experiments, I've managed to confuse MM over whether it should be writing to the internal or external storage. When I did this, it looked like sync was recopying all tracks over every time I switched from WiFi to USB. I think I see what I did wrong, but I don't want to get into it here until I'm sure.

The issue in this thread may well be 100% different from my own. I'm curious though, for the people in this thread who see all tracks copied again, have you checked to see if you have files duplicated between your internal and external storage?
Remember when Last.fm had those cool imagegen charts for use in signatures?
MarkODD

Post by MarkODD »

I checked and the files are not being duplicated anywhere. MM just recopies them to same location they were already in (external_sd/music) every time I sync. Interestingly the phone refers to the path as /sdcard/external_sd/music.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi, I cannot replicate.

Tested MMW 4.1.0.1626, MMA 1.0.4.0106, Galaxy Nexus connected in MTP mode.

What is your phone/USB mode? Could you re-test with the newest versions whether it is still issue for you?
MarkODD

Post by MarkODD »

Hi Ludek

I tested using MMW 4.1.0.1626, MMA 1.0.4.0106, but I connected via USB mode. I will try MTP tonight.