[REQ] Gapless playback [#10611]

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

mcow

[REQ] Gapless playback [#10611]

Post by mcow »

This is apparently a capability in the Android JellyBean core player.
http://www.pocketables.com/2012/06/andr ... -apps.html

I'd like to see it used in MMA. Is there a Mantis issue for this?
jiri

Re: Gapless playback?

Post by jiri »

Yes, it's planned for MMA 1.0 or very soon after.

Jiri
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

This will be a great addition/enhancement to MMA. Things like speeding up scrolling the tracks etc will be nice but this effects the Music itself.

Thanks
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
imagehopper

Post by imagehopper »

Make it optional
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

Optional?? okay. I am just not sure why you would want any gap placed between tracks that don't exist already. Where would that be good?
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

DTSig
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Plenty of people request that in MMW with the ability to add gaps between tracks. Thus it should be an optional feature as some need gaps. I personally prefer gapless crossfaded music play.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

Lowlander wrote:Plenty of people request that in MMW with the ability to add gaps between tracks. Thus it should be an optional feature as some need gaps. I personally prefer gapless crossfaded music play.
<G> i don't generally mind crossfade but when playing albums already designed to flow together it might sound off. But as always ... different strokes for different folks
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

DTSig
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I don't play Albums, I play random tracks and prefer the continuous audio of crossfade and gapless.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

I play random tracks also but want gaps i dont play whole albums as seperate tracks i will re record the album in to one long track when the songs are to play as one.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Lowlander

Re: [REQ] Gapless playback?

Post by Lowlander »

djshack

Re: [REQ] Gapless playback [#10611]

Post by djshack »

Any updates to the lack of gapless playback? This missing feature kills MMA for me, as I have quite a few albums with gapless tracks.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

djshack wrote:Any updates to the lack of gapless playback? This missing feature kills MMA for me, as I have quite a few albums with gapless tracks.
You can see any updates in Mantis by clicking the links in the post above yours.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
djshack

Post by djshack »

nohitter151 wrote:
djshack wrote:Any updates to the lack of gapless playback? This missing feature kills MMA for me, as I have quite a few albums with gapless tracks.
You can see any updates in Mantis by clicking the links in the post above yours.
Thanks. I guess it's at least good to know it's "in the queue."
greggw

Post by greggw »

I would like to add my support for the inclusion of crossfade in MediaMonkey for Android.
Gregg W
dmcritchie

Post by dmcritchie »

I'd like to add my vote for supporting gapless playback on Android 4.1+ with the MM app.

I did a little research since not everyone is able to make gapless playback work with music apps on 4.1+. For some they had to revert to the stock Google OS. For others they needed a special file format. Some could not get it to work at all.

In my case, I have a Galaxy S3 (Verizon) running 4.1.2. I tested with WMA (basic), OGG, and FLAC files. The stock app, Google Play Music, and Amazon MP3 were unable to play any of the 3 formats gapless. I was not able try WinAmp, since gapless playback is only supported in their Pro bundle. However, I was able to get a trial of PowerAmp, and found that I heard gapless playback with OGG and FLAC formats, but not WMA. This makes me think that they are correctly supporting the Android 4.1 API, and not merely stripping out silence at the end and beginning of tracks.

From the 4.1 API: "You can now perform gapless playback between two separate MediaPlayer objects. At any time before your first MediaPlayer finishes, call setNextMediaPlayer() and Android attempts to start the second player the moment that the first one stops." This approach would be expected to work with OGG and FLAC, and not WMA (basic).

So hopefully, MM Android can support gapless playback with OGG and FLAC as well.

Dennis