[REQ] remember playlist position

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

tobbbie

[REQ] remember playlist position

Post by tobbbie »

This is a long runner for all platforms and I need to keep on requesting this for my favorite players. Though I do not use any Apple products, I was told (by the author of my favorite Android Player - "Just Playlists") that the iPod has the feature right from the start and he only made his program to get playlists with memory back.

So here it goes, my request also for the upcoming MM for Android:
- Remember the position in the playlist (or other collections which exist by tag, like Albums, Artists, Genre etc...)
- define a default per such "collection" to either "always ask", "always start from Begin", "resume from last position"
- permit a "per collection element" (dedicated name of "collection") override of the default

The above is a general concept, for me the treatment for playlists to be "always resume" would be sufficient and so far there is only ONE(!) player who does it on Android - "Just Playlists" :-)
heronheart

Re: [REQ] remember playlist position

Post by heronheart »

+1 for this.

I would also request the option to always resume songs where they were stopped, the same as we have it in MMW.
tobbbie

Post by tobbbie »

Please mind that I want to link the "resume" to the context, not to the title itself!

So I do explicitly NOT(!) want a per-title resume, but a context driven "collection" based resume feature.

If you would have a "per-title-resume", then any skipped titles in any of your playlists or albums or other collections made (mood-playlists, recent PL or other collections) would also resume in any other context - finally creating a lot more work for the user as any temporary skip of a title would suddenly become permanent until you have once listened to a title completely.

For the implementation part this means that such resume features have to be stored at the "collection" level (playlist, album, artist) and NOT at the title/track level itself. Naturally any dynamic created collection cannot have a resume feature.

For me - just for playlists is enough!

For MMW (I guess Media Monkey Windows) I do not use that feature, but I guess that there only the "now playing" list is resumed. This is what most players do, but they loose track when step from one PL to another PL - and THIS is what I want. Basically PL are like radio stations for me which I can put on hold, so I have a podcast PL (interleaving several podcasts with different topics), a classical music PL and a Pop Music PL - each of which I want to resume where I left off when getting back them.
BigInJapan

Post by BigInJapan »

I'd like to revive this old request.

I've found several scenarios where I would like to listen to a few tracks from Playlist A, then listen to something else, then return to Playlist A and continue listening from where I left off. Not necessarily at the same point in the song. Just at the same place in the list. Perhaps at the beginning of the track that follows whatever I was listening to when I left.

Any interest in this from MM team?
Remember when Last.fm had those cool imagegen charts for use in signatures?
toyzrme

Bookmarks for Playlists

Post by toyzrme »

I'd like a bookmark feature for MUSIC playlists on MMA.

What I mean by this: when I select a given playlist on MMA, it picks up where I last left off for *that* playlist.

Since playlists (even autoplaylists) are static on MMA, why can't *each* playlist have a bookmark? That way, I'll eventually listen to all my tracks in the playlist, instead of always starting over, or having to re-randomize and getting some recent repeats.

If I choose a new playlist to play, let me choose whether it starts from the bookmark position, or the beginning (which resets the bookmark).
Reset the bookmark if resync'd (it would be nice if this was durable between sync's, but would have to assume the playlist is stable on MMW, too). Or, let the user choose to reset it.

Sure, you can add tracks to the "Now Playing", and you get this, in effect - but I can't switch playlists (e.g. classical in the morning, jazz at lunch, rock at night) without losing my place on each.

Of course, if MMA had autoplaylists that could adjust based on last played date, that would also solve the problem of "I just played this track recently" - but it doesn't :-)
Environment:
MMW: ~25,000 tracks, MM.DB on 16Gbps PCIe SSD (Samsung 950 Pro) - up-to-date, not Beta
MMA: ~12,000 tracks sync'd to phone - up-to-date, not Beta
PC: Windows 10/64, Skylake quad+HT @4.2GHz, 64GB RAM, 14TB RAID6
Phone: Galaxy S10 (128GB) + 400GB mSD card (Samsung EVO+)
Sync: all tracks rated >=3 sync'd to phone
.........all playlists only use tracks rated >=3
.........thus sync'ing is 99.99% playlist update - no tracks are sync'd, other than new purchases
Playlists: ~59 synced
..........most are auto-playlists
..........use attributes Rating, Last Played, Date recorded, Genre, Genre "contains", Path "contains"
..........many are nested, i.e. "Top AutoPlaylist" includes "Level 2 AutoPL #1" + "Level 2 AutoPL #2" etc.
BigInJapan

Re: Bookmarks for Playlists

Post by BigInJapan »

Remember when Last.fm had those cool imagegen charts for use in signatures?
toyzrme

Post by toyzrme »

Yes, but I just wanted to differentiate from tobbbie's "bookmark attached to collection/context" idea.

Bump? Anyone listening? Really want this!
Environment:
MMW: ~25,000 tracks, MM.DB on 16Gbps PCIe SSD (Samsung 950 Pro) - up-to-date, not Beta
MMA: ~12,000 tracks sync'd to phone - up-to-date, not Beta
PC: Windows 10/64, Skylake quad+HT @4.2GHz, 64GB RAM, 14TB RAID6
Phone: Galaxy S10 (128GB) + 400GB mSD card (Samsung EVO+)
Sync: all tracks rated >=3 sync'd to phone
.........all playlists only use tracks rated >=3
.........thus sync'ing is 99.99% playlist update - no tracks are sync'd, other than new purchases
Playlists: ~59 synced
..........most are auto-playlists
..........use attributes Rating, Last Played, Date recorded, Genre, Genre "contains", Path "contains"
..........many are nested, i.e. "Top AutoPlaylist" includes "Level 2 AutoPL #1" + "Level 2 AutoPL #2" etc.
rusty

Post by rusty »

We're listening...after we release 1.2.0 we're going to be planning our work for 1.2.1 and 2.0. When we do so, we review all of the open requests and prioritize.

I personally think that this would be a useful feature.

-Rusty