MMA wifi sync (sometimes) failing

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

bkenobi69

MMA wifi sync (sometimes) failing

Post by bkenobi69 »

I've been noticing that wifi sync works great when it connects right away. Sometimes it displays "connecting" for around a minute and then fails. When this happens the only solution I have found is to reboot the phone. Nothing on the MMW side seems to make a difference.

I generated 2 logs. The first is starting MMA and trying to sync 3 times. The first 2 were with MMW in service mode and the third was MMW loaded. The second log is after I rebooted the phone. Sync starts immediately. This is repeatable every time the phone decides not to connect.

Droid4 4.0.4 ICS
MMA 217
MMW 1683

Log ID: ZL9BDGWB7K
Description: wifi sync fail

Log ID: ZAVLML9W1A
Description: wifi sync works after reboot
Lowlander

Re: BUG: MMA wifi sync failing

Post by Lowlander »

Are you sure you're connected to the correct wifi network? You can test if the connection itself works by using UPnP in MMA to browse the MMW server you're trying to sync with. If that fails it is likely a network issue (like being on the wrong wifi).
bkenobi69

Re: BUG: MMA wifi sync (sometimes) failing

Post by bkenobi69 »

There are no other networks nearby. I have 2 wireless routers, so I'll verify it's connecting correctly. Thanks for the suggestion.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

For me it's always the wrong wifi when having trouble as I have a guest network separated from the home network. A reboot would resolve this as it would then connect to the preferred home network.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Based on the log, it appears to be a network/connectivity issue.

-Rusty
bkenobi69

Post by bkenobi69 »

Interesting. Then it must be connecting to the second router. They both should provide the same access, but obviously that's not the case. I'll debug my network then.
bkenobi69

Re: MMA wifi sync (sometimes) failing

Post by bkenobi69 »

This is very strange. I have 2 networks available in my wifi settings. Both access points serve the same router and both provide a valid connection which is how I designed the network. I have different names for each AP just to see which one is being used, but I could change that if it were necessary. I can connect to my network devices via RDP and SSH perfectly, yet for some reason I cannot connect with MMA without rebooting.

I have not tried DLNA yet (forgot to try that test).
rusty

Post by rusty »

Solution by bkenoki69 is posted at: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 21&t=74733

-Rusty
bkenobi69

Post by bkenobi69 »

Yes, that's the same solution I posted a few months back but I was hoping there might be a fix on the MMA side. That's still the solution I'm using, but it seems like it must be MMA that is not connecting since my phone can still connect to other network equipment.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Hi bkenobi69,

As I read through this, it sounds as if restarting MMW isn't relevant--whereas restarting the device is the critical aspect to solving the connectivity problem. Is that correct?

Also, could you generate another MMA log using the latest build, and for that same attempted connection, can you also send a debug log for MMW?

That'll tell us what's happening at both ends, and hopefully give us a clue.

Thanks.

-Rusty
bkenobi69

Post by bkenobi69 »

It's possible this is a MMW issue, but I'm not sure. I reset my phone yesterday several hours before attempting to sync (provider forced an update). When I tried to connect to MMW, it did not let me. I then tried to connect to PNP and it listed 3 devices on the network, but not MMW (2 of those were windows media center items on the same machine MMW is located on, the third was the DirecTV receiver). MMW was not loaded, but it was supposed to be running in service mode. I started MMW and tried both sync and PNP worked.

I keep my music collection on a Windows based networked file server running a multi-disk raid. I have been having some issues with that machine that I have just repaired. Turns out that the SAS cable running from the RAID adapter to the drives had a faulty wire. Is it possible that MMW was not happy with network interruptions for some reason? I doubt this is related since these hardware problems have only been an issue for around a month and the failed connections have been an issue for longer.

I will try to generate some debug logs and upload them.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Please wait until we've posted MMA 222--we've improved the logging. That should be later tonight.

Thanks!

-Rusty
daodb

Post by daodb »

I am having the same problem. Furthermore.... what is MMA and MMW? MediaMonkeyAndroid and Windows????
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MMA is MediaMonkey for Android (this forum) and MMW is MediaMonkey for Windows (main program).
bkenobi69

Post by bkenobi69 »

I just had this issue again today.

MMW in service mode
Started MMA
Selected Sync (wifi)
Sync failed
Back to start page
Selected UPNP, no servers popped up (should have listed MMW, Directv, and 2 windows servers)
Selected second wifi connection (both work on laptop)
UPNP still shows no servers

Log sent: HZBBSTLMZD
MMA 224
MMW 1683

I also tried going to manage apps and force stopping MMA. WiFi sync still fails.

For reference, without changing any settings I can connect to a networked file server via PocketCloud. I can also connect to my RPi using JuiceSSH. This is not a problem with the phone connecting to the network. I reviewed the MediaMonkey Library->Server log and the last item in the list is several days ago (the last time I synced). There is nothing in the MediaMonkey Server->Server log.

I am going to hold off on rebooting the phone which will fix the issue in hopes that there might be some useful info that someone could glean by having me try something and send a log.