Feature request: Podcasts

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

Bouchehog

Feature request: Podcasts

Post by Bouchehog »

Hi - I tried searching to see if this had been requested before but I couldn't find anything to suggest that it had. I use your excellent software to sync my phone with the music on my PC (mostly in FLAC - love the way that the sync/conversion rules are handled BTW). I also listen to a lot of podcasts. My main problem with the current build 1.0.4.0245 (and previous) is that if I have a lot of podcasts on my 'droid (which is usually the case) then I can't tell which I have listened to and which I haven't. I appreciate that you can go into the properties and it (usually) tells you the play-count but that's a very clunky thing to do. I can't simply delete them after I've listened to them as they will then reappear when I next sync the device...

Suggestion: Podcasts which have not been listed to appear in white text in the playlist; partially-listen-to podcasts appear grey and podcasts that have been listen to to 95% or more appear dark grey.

Alternative suggestion: play-count information column on playlist.

I say 95% because a lot of podcasts have credits at the end and I often skip on at that point. Currently it seems like you have to listen to the complete file to get the full play-count recognition.

Ben
Bouchehog

Re: Feature request: Podcasts

Post by Bouchehog »

No great love for this idea then...! :(
palmcrash

Post by palmcrash »

I second the request for podcasts to have different color/bold for played/unplayed. I currently have to manually star a podcast each time as a workaround (quite a hassle for short podcasts).
sal

Post by sal »

I've been a registered user of MediaMonkey for years and have been using Android version for some time now.

I also listen to podcasts a great deal and would welcome an easier way to visualize play count to verify which podcasts have been listened to before deletion.

Thanks for such a useful application.
heronheart

Post by heronheart »

There's at least one app (I think it's Astro Player) that puts a white line indicating the played percentage under every file title. I would love it if we could have something like that.
palmcrash

Post by palmcrash »

Also, the list of podcasts only has "random play" option, instead of "play all" in order. And I can't--for the life of me--figure out how to create a saved playlist on the fly of the podcasts, other than manually "select-all, play" each time.
podcast listener

Post by podcast listener »

Seconding basically all these ideas. Also, a nice feature would be a '30s rewind' like other podcast players have.

Being able to see which podcasts you've listened to and (maybe) how far you are through them, or at least an indicator that they're in-progress, from the main podcast index would be amazing. This is all kind of basic ios 3.x era podcast functionality stuff. :)
mccracken

Post by mccracken »

I would love to be able to visually tell which episodes of a podcast I have already listened to, as the episode list for a feed gets appended on every sync. This creates a weird out-of-order listing of episodes.

Some other podcast related requests of mine:

For podcasts feeds that do not publish a track number, it would be nice if MMA would display/play a feed in order of oldest date to newest, or configurable if some people prefer newest first for some reason. Alternately MMW could have an option to auto number downloaded episodes.
Variable speed playback, with different feeds having a savable setting. Many of the other android podcast apps offer this.
Taliesin

Post by Taliesin »

mccracken wrote:For podcasts feeds that do not publish a track number, it would be nice if MMA would display/play a feed in order of oldest date to newest, or configurable if some people prefer newest first for some reason. Alternately MMW could have an option to auto number downloaded episodes.
+1 As this sorting ability is one of my most desired enhancements for Podcast playback on Android.

Also, the shading idea of podcast tracks with a playcount greater than zero is a great idea.

Integration Proposal: Basically, between playing podcasts on MediaMonkey on my Android and MediaMonkey on my desktop, the playback count increment recorded on my phone should update back to my desktop. Then, via my sync settings I should be able to exclude syncing podcasts with a playback count greater than 1.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Taliesin wrote:Basically, between playing podcasts on MediaMonkey on my Android and MediaMonkey on my desktop, the playback count increment recorded on my phone should update back to my desktop. Then, via my sync settings I should be able to exclude syncing podcasts with a playback count greater than 1.
Play count is already synced back from MMA to MMW. And Sync settings allow you to only sync unplayed episodes.
Isara

Post by Isara »

Adding my support for more podcast features, please! I love MM, but I HATE how MMA handles podcast playback. I would like to be able to see the date of the podcast, as many of my podcasts are newsy, and time-related. I can't really figure out how they're sorted when imported, either.

Doggcatcher is a pretty great podcast app, which shows the listened-to amount and lets you pick up the episode again where you left off. I just don't want to have to install another app.
Craig Rodger

Post by Craig Rodger »

+1 for this. I entered a similar feature request a little while and got no interest on that, hope you get more support here.
kj77sd

Post by kj77sd »

To be able to mark, display, a podcast or audiobook has having been played is (and ideally marking those as in progress) such an asset. Looking through long lists of podcasts or the many files in an audiobook and trying to guess where I left of sometime in the past is frustrating as hell. This is a pretty basic feature and will make the app so much better. Also reversing the order of podcasts would be helpful as I have the oldest showing up on the bottom so they do not play in order. Thank you!
rusty

Post by rusty »

Thanks. The next release (after 1.1) is going to be focused on improving metadata / display of metadata / sorting of metadata / usage of metadata. Hopefully we can fit this in. Added http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=12493 (the sorting is already tracked elsewhere).

-Rusty