Sync re-downloading unnecessarily

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

mcow

Sync re-downloading unnecessarily

Post by mcow »

Since updating MMA to build 287, I've sync'd twice with no change to the sync list, and both times files were re-downloaded to the device, unnecessarily. I just sent a log for the instance of this that just occurred: TI88YUJNTD
BigInJapan

Re: Sync re-downloading unnecessarily

Post by BigInJapan »

Similar here on 287.

On a recent sync, I didn't pay very close attention, but I think it downloaded around 800 tracks from a sync list of around 2,000. There were changes in the sync list, but not nearly that many.

On the latest sync, it said it had 600+ songs to download, but it failed after the first few. Log JUAH3FFPI3 submitted.
Remember when Last.fm had those cool imagegen charts for use in signatures?
BigInJapan

Post by BigInJapan »

There seemed to be a specific file that was causing my sync to fail. When I took that one out, the next sync worked fine. Oddly, on that next sync, it only downloaded the tracks that were new to my sync list. It didn't try to redownload anything else.

So I guess I'm good here for now.
Remember when Last.fm had those cool imagegen charts for use in signatures?
mcow

Post by mcow »

The symptom continues for me, but I haven't wiped the database on the tablet since the 1.0.6 betas. I'll give that a try over the weekend.
mcow

Post by mcow »

Since reinstalling, syncing has not been re-copying files. so this seems to be a non-issue.
romulo_BR

Post by romulo_BR »

Same here. All the time it download 2000 files at least. If i click to sync from MMW to MMA, it deletes EVERYTHING and start all again.

And it's just with me that i have to plug and unplug the USB cable, close and open MMW and MMA, a couple of times... even close MMW, unplug everything, turn off Android Phone, then turn on, after turns on, open MMW, then plug the USB cable, then open MMA, so MAYBE will work.
Peep_Jerky

Post by Peep_Jerky »

I'm having the same problem. When I sync, MMA redownloads every track that has been played since the last time I synced. I've tried updating the app, and then tonight I tried uninstalling MMA but it still did it after reinstalling. I submitted two logs, one from when I first noticed it a few weeks ago, and another one tonight, the codes are below. Is there a way to wipe the database besides uninstalling? Did you uninstall the mediamonkey pro app too? Is this an official bug?

Before reinstall: HV99FOQF2X
After reinstall: SIRHNIUR60
mcow

Post by mcow »

I did not delete the Pro app. I uninstalled the beta, deleted the MediaMonkey folders from both drives and the Music folder from the SD card, which is the sync target, then reinstalled the beta.
Peep_Jerky

Post by Peep_Jerky »

Thanks, I did not think to delete the MediaMonkey folders. I deleted the MediaMonkey folders on both the phone and the SD card, which forced MMA to rebuild the db and that seems to have fixed it. I did not delete the Pro app or the Music folder, and it found all my songs and did not have to redownload anything. I just tested a wifi sync and it did not try to redownload a song I had just played. It did ask to delete one playlist that is still in my sync list, but that is a different topic. :D
thelabaffs

Post by thelabaffs »

I just installed MMA free version on my phone to test it out and every time I plug it in it tries to resync everything again. So first started off was 1 of 4000 songs. Next time I plugged my phone in it says synching 1 of 8000 songs. Next time 1 of 12000 songs and it redoes all of them all over every time. I have made no changes to any of the songs at all.

It is also not putting my playlists on the phone and if I try to drag it to the phone it tries to copy the songs on there. UGH! I love MM so want to get it working on my phone.

Yes, I have playlists selected under auto sync to device. No, I have not made changes to the songs selected to sync.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Which version of MMA and MMW?
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)
thelabaffs

Post by thelabaffs »

media monkey is 4.1.4 I believe (the most recent as I just updated) and just downloaded the free version of media monkey for android from google play. It puts song the way it is on my computer, then when I plug my phone in to the computer, it puts it with 00 in front and 01 and 02 and so on. Everytime I plug it in it adds a new one until the card is full. I tried clearing the DB on the computer. I have reformatted the card several times. I am obviously missing something.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Can you install MediaMonkey for Windows 4.1.5 from the beta forum and let us know if you're still experiencing this?

When you test it out, please configure your sync list to only sync e.g. 1 artist and/or 1 playlist. If the bug still occurs, please send a debug log and post the ID here (Options | About MediaMonkey | Send debug log).

Thanks!

-Rusty
thelabaffs

Post by thelabaffs »

Ah Ha! Sometimes the obvious troubleshooting steps completely escape you and you just need a nudge. I choose my country music playlist (which is just all country music) and artist Aaron Tippin. It is copying every song from my playlist and the artist Aaron Tippin. It is an auto playlist. Some artists like the Judds I have only three songs on my computer, but it put in two copies of each adding numbers on the end of the file name making 6. So I looked at the playlist and sure enough, when I sort by artist there are multiple listings for the same song. The reason is I choose to look in "Entire Library" and I had a folder I was testing volume leveling and other stuff to keep from effecting a song in a way I did not like and could not reverse. So the multiple song mystery is solved by changing the folder to not include the ones I was testing.

Changed to a smaller playlist of recent added that had 3 songs. When I look under playlists in Media Monkey, nothing is listed, but it did copy those three songs to my card. The Samsung music player shows the playlists, yet the playlist folder I asked Media Monkey to create and put playlists in is empty so I don't know where Media Monkey has put it and why it does not show the playlist. Any troubleshooting pointers for that?
rusty

Post by rusty »

thelabaffs,

Some Samsung devices that have been updated to Android 4.4 are unable to write to certain directories on an SD card--that's probably the root of the missing files/empty playlists.

To solve:
1) Update both MMW and MMA to the latest beta versions
2) If that fails to resolve the problem you'll have to make sure to save the content to a directory that supports write access. For details, see:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... teddeleted

Please let me know if this resolves the issue.

Thanks.

-Rusty