MMA restarts song each time it reconnects to BT [#12983]

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

Vald

MMA restarts song each time it reconnects to BT [#12983]

Post by Vald »

Good day,

I use MediaMonkey in my car on my HTC One M8 as the primary media player through Bluetooth. I stopped using the beta version a while ago because I realized something: it almost always restarts a song when I restart the car stereo. When I switched back to the non-beta (whatever the release was prior to 1.1.2.0419) it never happened. Every beta for quite some time (a year at least) would almost always restart the song but not the non-beta.

Now 0419 is out and it restarts every time. I'm trying to find a backup of the previous version to go back to it but if there's a link somewhere, I'd really appreciate being able to roll back.

More importantly, though, is the bug that was introduced through beta a while back and is now in the official version. I can very easily duplicate the problem and can say for certain that it was not present in the previous non-beta version. It now is. Please let me know what information I can provide to help fix this.

Thanks!
rivorson

Re: Android version restarts song each time it reconnects to

Post by rivorson »

I see this or something similar often as well, but it's inconsistent and I've never managed to find a way to reproduce it on demand.

The exact steps you take to reproduce the problem would help. Include small details like what type of track you are playing (music, podcast, etc), and whether the track is already playing when you restart the car stereo.
mcow

Post by mcow »

I've seen similar problems; in my case, it almost always plays for a short while and then goes quiet, and I have to restart.
Some of it may be related to your BT device; I'm pretty sure the stereo in my car has at least one problem in its bluetooth driver.

You can capture a log as soon as it does this, send it in, and post the log ID here.
martialartsguy

Post by martialartsguy »

Same issue here with Subaru bluetooth and 1.1.2.0419 with MM Pro.

Really annoying since if I don't finish a song by my destination, I'm forced to listen to it again. This is particularly annoying with Podcasts.
MM Gold since 2006
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

It must be related to the bluetooth device. I never had this problem with my Ford Fusion's bluetooth.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
martialartsguy

Post by martialartsguy »

It's strange - I never had the issue previously, but after a full reset of my Galaxy S5, reinstalling MM Android and re-syncing, it constantly restarts...

Perhaps I'll try to uninstall and delete all MM references on my device, then reinstall and re-sync.
MM Gold since 2006
fcoulter

Post by fcoulter »

I'm having the same condition happen with the latest build from the Play Store of MMA, running on a Galaxy S6, playing on a 2015 Subaru Outback. I don't think of it as a bug but a feature. The easiest way to listen to a song again is to turn off ("mute") the stereo and then turn it back on. I get the song playing from the beginning again.
rivorson

Post by rivorson »

fcoulter, I think what you're experiencing is the track reverting to the start when the Stop command is sent, which your car sends when you turn off the stereo. That is the correct behaviour. The bug that the rest of us are seeing is tracks that should resume from the bookmark position (i.e. podcasts and audiobooks) revert to the start position instead of resuming from the last played position.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
If your assumtion is correct (I can't replicate) on my LG Head Unit as it sends PLAY/PAUSE instead of STOP and on Connection it sends also PLAY/PAUSE my guess is that this way app is left to decide behavior.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
rivorson

Post by rivorson »

For me the bug doesn't occur after either PLAY/PAUSE or STOP is sent. I think it's likely related to losing the bluetooth connection unexpectedly during playback because this is when it happens most often to me. The most frequent sequence of events is as follows:
  • Play podcasts over bluetooth
  • Bluetooth connection is lost (not allowing PLAY/PAUSE to be sent before disconnection)
  • Reconnect
  • Car automatically sends PLAY/PAUSE to start playback
  • Current podcast track starts playing from 00:00, even if the track has a bookmark position set
If the track does have a bookmark set then I can open the Now Playing list and press on the current track to get it to play from the bookmark, but any progress from the bookmark to the time of disconnection is still lost.
Vald

Post by Vald »

So to clarify, the problem does not exist with .0415 but happens 100% of the time with .0419, at least with my car. I haven't really tested it with my phone as I don't turn it on and off like I do with the car.

I've downloaded the latest beta 0.461 and will test it soon.

Vald
martialartsguy

Post by martialartsguy »

Vald wrote:So to clarify, the problem does not exist with .0415 but happens 100% of the time with .0419, at least with my car.
This might explain the disparity I had as well - my previous version of MM Android did not do this with my Subaru bluetooth, but .0419 does.
MM Gold since 2006
martialartsguy

Post by martialartsguy »

Any note if this bug might be fixed in the next RC or beta?
MM Gold since 2006
rusty

Post by rusty »

Thanks--it'll be fixed for 1.1.3. Tracked at http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=12893

-Rusty
martialartsguy

Post by martialartsguy »

Thanks so much Rusty,

Checked this out today and it works great.
MM Gold since 2006