Replaygain issue?!

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

Biggus_Dickus

Replaygain issue?!

Post by Biggus_Dickus »

Hi,
first of all, Mediamonkey Android is great and with MM Windows, it's nearly perfect. But RG isn't good implemented, in my opinion. As first, I can't choose between track and album levelling (most music player with RG support have this option). But my main problem is, that it levels down too much and some songs even sound quiter. I.e. the song "Machine" by Imagine Dragons is analyzed (tried with Foobar2000, MediaMonkey and Musicbee) with -11dB and is hearable quiter than other songs. I set gain value manually with Foobar2000 to -9dB, but it had no effect. The file itself is a flac and volume only analyzed. Am I doing something wrong or lowers MMA volume to prevent clipping?! MMA sounds as it set the output to 83dB. In my car, I've to turn output nearly to max, to reduce carnoise. Other players like Foobar or Rocketplayer sounding like they should, with 89dB levelling and no preamp.
Peke

Re: Replaygain issue?!

Post by Peke »

Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Biggus_Dickus

Post by Biggus_Dickus »

Hi Peke,
that would be great. But still my question. Why is MMA levelling down some songs noticable lower, like my example, while it's analyzed and tagged correctly and other player play it on same level and most of the other songs played in MMA are on same volume level? :-?

Best regards and still thank you for good Work on Mediamonkey
Peke wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:17 am Ok, I added https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=15205
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Do you have crossfade Playback enabled in MMA?
Best regards,
Peke
Biggus_Dickus

Post by Biggus_Dickus »

No. Only gapless activated.
Peke wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:05 pm Hi,
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Hmmm, I can't replicate. After track skips can you please post Debug log ASAP and write down LOG ID here, along with file that skipped.
Best regards,
Peke
Biggus_Dickus

Post by Biggus_Dickus »

They don't skip. But volume turns down more then other players, in my opinion. I don't think it's a real error. It seems like MMA limits output volume for some titles. My guess is, MMA does it, to prevent clipping :-?
Peke wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:09 am Hi,
Hmmm, I can't replicate. After track skips can you please post Debug log ASAP and write down LOG ID here, along with file that skipped.
Biggus_Dickus

Post by Biggus_Dickus »

Hi, Peke.

I think you was on the right way. I had once turned crossfade on, but switched to gapless, cause I wasn't satisfied with gapless. I switched off gapless also and now I got the same volume level and it's also louder, also when I use gapless.

Best regards
Peke wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:05 pm Hi,
Peke

Post by Peke »

HI,
Ok, then the problem is fixed?

As Crossfade in Beta state, we would like whenever you have free time try to replicate and make step by step what triggered the issue and what fixes it.

It is very possible that LOG file will not contain all the needed info :(
Best regards,
Peke
Biggus_Dickus

Post by Biggus_Dickus »

Yes. Problem seems to be fixed. Songs plays on same level now and also volume level is good now (but adding pre-amp and switching between album and track-levelling would still be good). I don't know why, but crossfade/gapless function must be cause of this issue. I didn't change anything (Replaygain value or something) within file. Just switched off gapless and there were no noticeable volume differences between mentioned songs.
I got a Nokia 8, with pure Android 8.1. Hope this may help you! And thanks for your help!
Peke wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:37 pm HI,
Ok, then the problem is fixed?

As Crossfade in Beta state, we would like whenever you have free time try to replicate and make step by step what triggered the issue and what fixes it.

It is very possible that LOG file will not contain all the needed info :(
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
This info is valuable for future cases so that we can compare and lower debugging time. Thank you.
Best regards,
Peke