Is MMA development functionally dead?

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

DRMMR76

Is MMA development functionally dead?

Post by DRMMR76 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:37 pm

I know every couple months or so I see an update for MediaMonkey Android in the Android play store, but the release notes for each update seem to only be bug fixes or adding support for some version of Android auto. Is actual development, in terms of adding new features and improving the app itself, functionally dead? It's been years since I've seen this app actually add a feature or improve in a noticeable way. I know there is still some sort of development going on for under the hood things like bug fixes, but for instance, I made a thread here two years ago asking if there would be any increased functionality for the audiobook part of the app. Just adding things like a + 30 or + 15 fast forward button to the player, or giving the podcast part of the app the ability to add new podcasts, sync, and download on its own without needing to be syncef to a PC. Features that other audiobook or podcast apps have had for a decade or more. I was told that those features were in development, but that was 2 years ago and I have not seen a single new feature added to the app. We still can't even do something as simple as having a different color scheme or a daytime interface with white instead of black.

I know with operating systems like Windows, Microsoft will say that they are stopping full support of an OS on a certain date. They'll say that they will continue to put out security fixes or antivirus updates for that operating system for another couple of years, but that active development for that operating system is being shut down so they can move on to the next one. Is MediaMonkey for Android in that state? Has actual development just shut down at this point and the only thing we can look forward to now is minor bug fixes?

It seems like MediaMonkey as a whole is stuck in the early 2010s, and it does not appear that it will ever evolve or add new functions or features that have been apart of other apps for many years already. Is it time to try to look for something else?

Peke

Re: Is MMA development functionally dead?

Post by Peke » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:48 am

Hi,
MM5 https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 86639&sd=d is already in hammering/polishing state.
MMA 1.x is in stability fixes states and MMA 2.0 is in internal testing that will be released for testing as soon as MM5 gets released due the fact that using current MMW 4.x do not have improvements and means to support all the wishes and things we made.

We at MM team over the years have set very high bar for MM quality and stability and we are glad that we managed to explain to users that half build product is not an option. Stability of implemented features needs to be done and working as designed, which will allow us much need time to further improve and add new features instead just fixing bugs and half designed features.

Personally, I would be the first that would not allow/trust app with all my music collection (I collect for more than 27 years) unless it is safe. As the old saying tell "Better be safe, than sorry." no matter how small the chance is I have 200k+ and 15 years of statistical reasons to be couscous.

ATM Only thing I regret is that I can't post images of MMA 2.0 UI and all the improvements we made across various usage cases and device types.
Best regards,
Pavle
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to add SCREENSHOTS to forum

dtsig

Re: Is MMA development functionally dead?

Post by dtsig » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:14 am

Keep up the great work Pavle... and thanks
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig