Getting rid of duplicate songs in the library

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

Twisted Knobs Music
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun May 10, 2020 9:39 am

Getting rid of duplicate songs in the library

Post by Twisted Knobs Music » Sun May 10, 2020 9:48 am

I have been using Mediamonkey for years and always had a issue with getting rid of dups in my catalog on android.
It's really hard to do with over 15,000 tracks in my library.
Can we get this feature in the near future?

Peke
Posts: 13282
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2003 7:21 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Re: Getting rid of duplicate songs in the library

Post by Peke » Sun May 10, 2020 10:32 am

Hi,
Auto get rid of duplicates will most likely never be implemented natively in MM, there is no any certain way to determine what all users use as a criteria for duplicate track. We can as now make estimate what we think it is duplicate, but user need to decide which are actual duplicates and which are not.
Best regards,
Pavle
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
Image
Image
How to add SCREENSHOTS to forum

TheEmpathicEar
Posts: 154
Joined: Fri May 15, 2020 12:17 pm

Re: Getting rid of duplicate songs in the library

Post by TheEmpathicEar » Mon May 25, 2020 3:59 pm

Peke wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 10:32 am
Hi,
Auto get rid of duplicates will most likely never be implemented natively in MM, there is no any certain way to determine what all users use as a criteria for duplicate track. We can as now make estimate what we think it is duplicate, but user need to decide which are actual duplicates and which are not.
Ticket #NHU-235-96571 is now on this subject [among others]. On MMA, a lot of duplicates that are not in MM5. I just updated to Build 2251. This is not something that MMA can handle? Maybe I will have to delete everything on my Micro SD Card and start over with another sync from MM5?

Lowlander
Posts: 47545
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 5:53 pm
Location: MediaMonkey 5

Re: Getting rid of duplicate songs in the library

Post by Lowlander » Mon May 25, 2020 4:12 pm

No, MMA can't deal with duplicates. You can manage sync from MMW to deal with what's on the device. Duplicates can happen when you do certain Send To instead of Sync.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

TheEmpathicEar
Posts: 154
Joined: Fri May 15, 2020 12:17 pm

Re: Getting rid of duplicate songs in the library

Post by TheEmpathicEar » Mon May 25, 2020 4:20 pm

Lowlander wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 4:12 pm
No, MMA can't deal with duplicates. You can manage sync from MMW to deal with what's on the device. Duplicates can happen when you do certain Send To instead of Sync.
So, if there are many duplicates on MMA - not sure how many. I will have to delete everything on Android and start over with a Sync Now from MM5? There must a process here. In the ticket above, at one point, in MM5, I was told to Clear Database and Rescan. I just want to make sure I understand the process in order to avoid duplicates?

Lowlander
Posts: 47545
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 5:53 pm
Location: MediaMonkey 5

Re: Getting rid of duplicate songs in the library

Post by Lowlander » Mon May 25, 2020 6:41 pm

Sync will offer to remove the files (you may have to set it to remove all media files not on sync list in the Device Profile). So after sync you'd only end up with those files on your device that you selected in the Device Profile to be on your device.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

TheEmpathicEar
Posts: 154
Joined: Fri May 15, 2020 12:17 pm

Re: Getting rid of duplicate songs in the library

Post by TheEmpathicEar » Wed May 27, 2020 12:24 pm

Lowlander wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 6:41 pm
Sync will offer to remove the files (you may have to set it to remove all media files not on sync list in the Device Profile). So after sync you'd only end up with those files on your device that you selected in the Device Profile to be on your device.
@Pavle helped me with both my PC and phone yesterday. Still have dupes on phone.
If I wanted to "start over", remove everything from MMA, and start another Sync Now in MM5. What are the chances of having 0 or at least less dupes? Consider how many syncs over a period of week or so crashed in MM5. Could that and using Send To contributed to some or all of the dupes? The other thing in MMA is track number inconsistencies. Having track numbers like, 1,2, ... 10, etc. and also 101, 102, ... 110, etc. Anyway, I just wonder if a "Start Over" or "Start Fresh" would help? And, what would be the best way to do this? i.e. Remove all tracks via MMA? or, Using a file manager in Android?

Lowlander
Posts: 47545
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 5:53 pm
Location: MediaMonkey 5

Re: Getting rid of duplicate songs in the library

Post by Lowlander » Wed May 27, 2020 1:16 pm

Be careful that you're thinking MMA has duplicates when perhaps you have duplicate copies in MMW as well. Often the same track can be found on multiple Albums.

Yes, Send To can cause duplicates, but doesn't have to.

Yes, removing all would start fresh, but if MMW has duplicates they'll return. Make sure to use Sync to get files from MMW to MMA.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

TheEmpathicEar
Posts: 154
Joined: Fri May 15, 2020 12:17 pm

Re: Getting rid of duplicate songs in the library

Post by TheEmpathicEar » Wed May 27, 2020 2:03 pm

Lowlander wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 1:16 pm
Be careful that you're thinking MMA has duplicates when perhaps you have duplicate copies in MMW as well. Often the same track can be found on multiple Albums.

Yes, Send To can cause duplicates, but doesn't have to.

Yes, removing all would start fresh, but if MMW has duplicates they'll return. Make sure to use Sync to get files from MMW to MMA.
MMW does not have dupes. I checked 2 different artist: The Beatles and Ke$ha. [There are many more] I checked some dupes in MMA. Select one, check tags using edit button [the pencil]. check that the album name is the same as the other dupe. Make sense? That's why I ask if starting over with a Sync Now in MMW might eliminate dupes [or minimize the number of them]. And, what is the best way to do that in Android? @Pavle might remember some of this. He was remoting into both my PC and phone or both MM5 and MMA

Lowlander
Posts: 47545
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 5:53 pm
Location: MediaMonkey 5

Re: Getting rid of duplicate songs in the library

Post by Lowlander » Wed May 27, 2020 2:22 pm

Yes, like I said, starting fresh will work.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

TheEmpathicEar
Posts: 154
Joined: Fri May 15, 2020 12:17 pm

Re: Getting rid of duplicate songs in the library

Post by TheEmpathicEar » Wed May 27, 2020 2:46 pm

Lowlander wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 2:22 pm
Yes, like I said, starting fresh will work.
That's what I asking about? What is the best way to do this? Use MMA, select all tracks and remove/delete? Or, is there more to it than that to be thorough? Or, use a file manager in android and delete them directly?

Lowlander
Posts: 47545
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 5:53 pm
Location: MediaMonkey 5

Re: Getting rid of duplicate songs in the library

Post by Lowlander » Wed May 27, 2020 2:47 pm

If you use MMA you'd have it's database updated as well.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

TheEmpathicEar
Posts: 154
Joined: Fri May 15, 2020 12:17 pm

Re: Getting rid of duplicate songs in the library

Post by TheEmpathicEar » Wed May 27, 2020 2:51 pm

Lowlander wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 2:47 pm
If you use MMA you'd have it's database updated as well.
Would you select all tracks and delete the music? I am just trying to see if there a better option in MMA to do this?
EDIT: I guess I am asking so many questions because I assume that many MM users have already had to do something similar or exactly like this. So, the must be a "preferred" method?

Post Reply