Album view not sorted correctly with non-integer Disc Number

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

tygill

Album view not sorted correctly with non-integer Disc Number

Post by tygill »

It seems MMA doesn't correctly sort tracks in the album view when those tracks have a Disc Number field which is not a plain integer.

For example, I have this album (https://vgmdb.net/album/69849) tagged in MMW so that the Disc Number field has the number as a prefix and then the name of the park the disc contains music from, for example:

Code: Select all

1: Disneyland
2: California Adventure
The track numbers are normal integers (though they don't match the VGMDB tracks, since I split the album into one disc for each park).

In MMA, when looking at the album view, these tracks seem to be sorted by Track Number and then by Disc Number, instead of by Disc Number and then Track Number. (Sorting is correct in MMW.)

Disc 1: Track 1
Disc 2: Track 1
Disc 3: Track 1
Disc 1: Track 2
Disc 2: Track 2
Disc 3: Track 2
Specifically:

1 Walt Disney's Dedication
1 Suitcase and a Dream
2 All Aboard
Other albums where the Disc Number is just a plain integer (1, 2, etc.) sort correctly, with all tracks from disc 1 before tracks from disc 2.

If it makes a difference, I have the files in separate subfolders for each disc, like so:

Disneyland- The Legacy Collection\1- Disneyland\001 Walt Disney's Dedication.mp3
Disneyland- The Legacy Collection\1- Disneyland\002 All Aboard.mp3
Disneyland- The Legacy Collection\1- Disneyland\...
Disneyland- The Legacy Collection\2- California Adventure\001 Suitcase and a Dream.mp3
Disneyland- The Legacy Collection\2- California Adventure\...
Putting the integer part of the disc number in the file name (e.g., '01-001 Walt Disney's Dedication.mp3') didn't seem to change the sort order, so it doesn't seem to be falling back to a sort on filename, nor does it seem to be sorting by Track Number and then by Track Title, since the first track of the first disc would have been alphabetically after the first track from the second disc.

MMA version is 1.3.9.0924
MMW version (freshly synced over WiFi) is 4.1.28.1905

I found the following forum thread about sorting / display problems when track numbers have non-integer values, which could be considered related:
http://mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic. ... er#p452691
Peke

Re: Album view not sorted correctly with non-integer Disc Number

Post by Peke »

Hi,
That behavior is normal eg. if field value is not Integer than they are Sorted Alphabetically.

This behavior you can replicate in MMW/MM5 when sorting firstly on Track # and then use CTRL+Disk# to add second sort instead other way around.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
tygill

Re: Album view not sorted correctly with non-integer Disc Number

Post by tygill »

The Disk# being sorted alphabetically makes sense (and is what I expected). The part that doesn't make sense to me (and seems like a bug) is that it seems that putting non-integer values in the Disk# field causes MMA to sort by Track# then by Disk# in the album view instead of sorting by Disk# then by Track#. (When sorting by Album in MMW, it also sorts by Disk# then Track#, which is in part why I expected MMA to behave the same.)

For example, looking at both types of albums, I consistently see the following sort orders in the album view:

Album with integer Disk#:

Disk 1: Track 1
Disk 1: Track 2
Disk 2: Track 1
Disk 2: Track 2
Disk 3: Track 1
Disk 3: Track 2
Album with non-integer Disk#:

Disk 1-A: Track 1
Disk 2-B: Track 1
Disk 3-C: Track 1
Disk 1-A: Track 2
Disk 2-B: Track 2
Disk 3:-C Track 2
Even with an alphabetical sort of the Disk#, I would expect the tracks from the same Disk# to be grouped together (which is the MMW behavior).