Android MM UpnP

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

Stedmister

Android MM UpnP

Post by Stedmister »

I just moved most of my media files to my network drive, so i don't have to have my PC on to access my music, video, etc. How do I setup Upnp on MM Android up to pull from the network location?
Lowlander

Re: Android MM UpnP

Post by Lowlander »

You don't set it up on your android device. You need to setup a DLNA Server on the network drive and then MMA will see it and you can play your media from it.
Stedmister

Post by Stedmister »

Lowlander wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:47 pm You don't set it up on your android device. You need to setup a DLNA Server on the network drive and then MMA will see it and you can play your media from it.

Ok Thanks I used Twonky I found it in the APPS section of the dashboard, I set it up for one folder. MMA found it and it works inside my network. Problem is outside has issue. I used my webaddress I have annd port forwarded the required ports to the IP address of the nas, it pulls the track info, but when I go to play a file irt says service inaccessable. Is it due to the fact the folder has a password on it. Seems strange that it works inside but not outside
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

DLNA can work outside the network (see Twonky docs on how), but it's is designed to work only within the local network.
Stedmister

Post by Stedmister »

Lowlander wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:44 pm DLNA can work outside the network (see Twonky docs on how), but it's is designed to work only within the local network.
You mean can't?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It can be done, but depends on the server, for example with MediaMonkey for Windows these are the instructions are: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=75088
Stedmister

Post by Stedmister »

Lowlander wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:03 pm It can be done, but depends on the server, for example with MediaMonkey for Windows these are the instructions are: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=75088
I got it, but is there away so that only I can access the npnp device, I know you can put the username and password into a url format will that work in the app as well?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
If you are really want to have secured outside connetion I woudl suggest that you setop your own VPN server ON the network router.

Here is a search for quick tutorials on how things are done on my ASUS Router

https://www.google.com/search?q=Asus+AV ... r+settings

And only hint I can give you is taht while setting up your VPN server you make it assign to remote device same IP address range as your LAN so that once connected it will be treated as LAN device and not as Connecting VPN Client. That way for the rest of your devices you will be seen as like you are on WiFi locally. It worked for me for couple of years now and had no issues so far.

Only thing you may want to look is better quality router and you would need to make your ISP Modem into either Bridge mode or DMZ with all VPN ports passed to Router.

Security to access MM5 DLNA outside is on our To Do but not yet fully integrated due the limitations of DLNA.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Stedmister

Post by Stedmister »

My modem alread bridged, I have a netgear router, guess i can put it on that, thanks
Peke

Post by Peke »

Stedmister wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:09 pm My modem alread bridged, I have a netgear router, guess i can put it on that, thanks
Hi, then only thing you need is to do right setup. I really hope taht you are not behind double NAT so that you do not have direct access to router. Fingers crossed as in that case you would need Static or Dynamic outside WAN IP.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Stedmister

Post by Stedmister »

Yup no double nat and it is a static IP. Thanks again.