Cycles thru tracks but plays nothing

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

psailing

Cycles thru tracks but plays nothing

Post by psailing »

Hello,
First post, hope this is right forum.

I'm using MM Pro 1.4.3.0950 on Android 9.

On some albums, not all, when I tap a track to play MM cycles thru all the tracks of that album in a couple of seconds, displaying each track name, but plays nothing.

Have just tried another Music player (Musicolet) and it plays those albums without a problem.
Any ideas?
Peke

Re: Cycles thru tracks but plays nothing

Post by Peke »

HI,
The best thing would be that you use ⋮ -> About MediaMonkey -> Send logs and write down log ID here before you send it.

That way we will see why MMA do not play those tracks.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
psailing

Post by psailing »

OK, done.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
What is the LOG ID (you forgot to writ eit down), as without it we can't pair to this topic and this specific issue?
Best regards,
Peke
David Hillman

Post by David Hillman »

Was an explanation ever found here?

I just sync'd 20k MP3s from MM4 Gold to my phone, but ninety-odd percent of them exhibit the same behavior described above.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Do you have log ID that you send as described here?
viewtopic.php?p=484858#p484858
Best regards,
Peke
David Hillman

Post by David Hillman »

I was hoping that a months-old issue had already been recognized -- rather than spending time testing software that I just purchased.

At a minimum, there's a bug which causes tracks to be silently ignored without so much as an error message displayed. Fixing that should already be high on the list, and that should be easy.

There also appears to be a bug, maybe in MMW, whereby converting to MP3 on synchronization does not work consistently.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Unfortunately some things can stay for months because we lack of feeedback (log files when asked) and we are not being able to replicate ourself :( Sending log takes around 30 seconds during normal usage of MMA and it helps us a lot to see what happened during the time of log sending and some close time before.

Re conversion it is very important if MM sync conversion fail on a specific files or on random basis especially if MM4/5 was free version where conversion do not auto kick in as being a GOLD feature.

An example if you are using MM5 free and you sync WMA files that are not supported by Android (or better said removed from android) due the licensing issues they will not be synced or not be playable in Device even you have them in MMA library.
Best regards,
Peke
David Hillman

Post by David Hillman »

I am using MM4 Gold, and it still doesn't work, at all.

There are no license issues in play when converting my own FLAC files to MP3. Also, all the files were allegedly sync'd... they just aren't playable.

Finally, it should be almost trivial to fix the bug in which tracks are silently ignored. You don't need to know why the operation failed in order to at least throw an "Unknown error occurred" exception, and you should be able to provide more detail than that in most cases.

I was under the impression that I was buying an app which had already been tested, since normally one tests code before asking people to pay for it. If this is an alpha release which still requires user testing, I suggest that it ought to be free. Literally none of the features I paid for, work, so what exactly did I buy? The opportunity to be a volunteer test engineer?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
David Hillman wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:28 am I am using MM4 Gold, and it still doesn't work, at all.
Note that MM4 is old version and MM5 was out for few months now, closing to Second stable release.
David Hillman wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:28 am Finally, it should be almost trivial to fix the bug in which tracks are silently ignored. You don't need to know why the operation failed in order to at least throw an "Unknown error occurred" exception, and you should be able to provide more detail than that in most cases.
There is about several hundred fixes in MM5 that can fix your problems. Especially "Unknown error occurred". Main problem with sync is that users set 20k+ tracks on sync and if it fails on 3k they will not get 17k tracks synced and if all goes and user end with 17k synced and 3k not, there must be a reason. Which is where debugging starts and we found out that issue is with MM or with specific user setup/sync.
David Hillman wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:28 am I was under the impression that I was buying an app which had already been tested, since normally one tests code before asking people to pay for it. If this is an alpha release which still requires user testing, I suggest that it ought to be free.
App is being tested daily by us and tens of thousands of our users (I personally sync daily 7 devices out of my 200k of tracks with no or occasional issues), we take care each case seriously like it is a issue in MM until proven not being an MM issue, where we try to help you directly, not recruit you for testing.
David Hillman wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:28 am Literally none of the features I paid for, work, so what exactly did I buy? The opportunity to be a volunteer test engineer?
If that is the case then, past 18 years of mostly favorable MM reviews was fake. Can you please be more specific on what else do not work? Maybe we designed it wrong, maybe something is not OK in setup, maybe there is a hidden bug. If not out of the box (like for most users) you at least paid us to fix such things or what would be the point of paying us (which I agree).
Best regards,
Peke
David Hillman

Post by David Hillman »

Note that MM4 is old version and MM5 was out for few months now, closing to Second stable release.
Note that nowhere in your documentation do you mention incompatibility between MMA and MM4. Exactly the opposite, in fact, since your Knowledge Base repeatedly refers to using those two products in concert.

If MM4 is a dead product, say so.
There is about several hundred fixes in MM5 that can fix your problems.
Which is another way of saying that there are several hundred unfixed bugs in the application that I did buy... MM4. You may find that yours is a convincing sales tactic, but I don't. I wonder why I would buy such buggy software from the same vendor... thrice.
Main problem with sync is that users set 20k+ tracks on sync and if it fails on 3k they will not get 17k tracks synced...
Which is a bug.
and if all goes and user end with 17k synced and 3k not, there must be a reason. Which is where debugging starts and we found out that issue is with MM or with specific user setup/sync.
So how many of these "several hundred" unfixed bugs do I personally have to investigate before the software that I bought from you will work as advertised?
If that is the case then, past 18 years of mostly favorable MM reviews was fake.
May-be... you said it, not me.

I might've reviewed MM 3 and 4 favorably. I cannot remember if I ever did, to be honest. But that doesn't mean MMA works, and in my experience, it absolutely does not do what it is advertised to do.
Can you please be more specific on what else do not work?
Wifi sync does not work -- if I enable it, MMA never stops scanning for new media, and renders my phone well nigh unusable, since it uses up all the battery charge in short order, and in fact, consumes energy at a rate equal to that which charging replaces it. There's another thread here on this subject, which I'm sure you can find.

USB sync does not work -- suffers the same scanning problem as wireless sync, and is far slower for no apparent reason, to boot. Enough so that it'd take weeks to sync my library.

Playback does not work. Even the tracks which I have managed to sync to the portable device only play for ~30 seconds before stopping with no explanation. The same tracks play with both the free version of MMA and DoubleTwist and every other player I have tried.

Is that enough? I'm sure that's plenty to consider this product defective, but perhaps your standards are far, far lower. Maybe if the app was usable, I could find more broken features, but I've already had to bag it and switch back to DoubleTwist -- which I don't particularly like, but at least it works.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

David Hillman wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:09 pmMMA never stops scanning for new media
Do you have M4A's you're Syncing?
David Hillman

Post by David Hillman »

Lowlander wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:54 pm Do you have M4A's you're Syncing?
No.

My sync is configured to convert all of my FLACs to MP3. As I said in the other thread, if there are any M4As on my SD card, that would be the result of another Media Monkey bug -- such going off plan and converting to the wrong format or something.

For added fun, I tried a different brand new SD card yesterday. Now sync runs for a few minutes, does nothing at all, and finally dies with a "Sync incomplete" error dialog, and no further detail.

This is a pretty woefully broken app, unfortunately.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

That's the problem of posting in multiple threads, you end up having to repeat the same information again.

Sync works fine for me. Which version of MMW and MMA are you using and are you doing a wifi or USB Sync?
David Hillman

Post by David Hillman »

That's the problem of posting in multiple threads
Well, when an application has hundreds of unfixed bugs, there are going to be quite a few threads. C'est la vie.

If I had just one problem with Media Monkey, I would find it easy to confine my comments to one thread. But since almost nothing works, that's not the case. I was hoping the other posters who are experiencing the same problems had found solutions, but it appears that most simply gave up.
Which version of MMW and MMA are you using and are you doing a wifi or USB Sync?
MMW Gold v 4.1.31.1919
MMA Pro 1.4.3.0950

Have tried both wifi and USB, and neither work at all -- on two different phones (at different times), and three different SD cards.