Monkey Bridge?

To discuss development of addons / skins / customization of MediaMonkey.

Moderators: jiri, drakinite, Addon Administrators

zombiefly

Monkey Bridge?

Post by zombiefly »

hi,
loving mm5. I posted elsewhere that I'd been using roon for multiroom and am now ending that "trial" and switching back to MM for multiroom.

for roon, I have some raspberry pi's running as bridges (DAC's connected to them). they also have a screen that displays album art and simple controls using ropieeeXL, an open-source wrapper for the roon bridge.

so. in mm5 world I have this setup working using the PI and ropieeeXL as the DAC bridge, great. but the software doesn't display the album art or controls for dlna. So I tried a few other options (kodi etc) and while these work, it's not possible to have any dedicated control over the display, so after a few seconds it falls back to a progress bar, which auto hides!

so. the solution here is a simple wrapper app that runs on linux. I guess it would need to use dlna this stage and pull the info from the playing screen? if it was made as an appliance it could replace roon bridges, and roon altogether!

While I know a bit about these things, this is beyond my ability. I had hoped to find a player that I could autostart and run headless, but in Linux, there isn't much option for that.

can anyone assist? :)
MM5 latest [Gold] / MMA latest | OnePlus 8 PRO | Noise I make: Pushkin on Soundcloud
Peke

Re: Monkey Bridge?

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Better handling of AA in DLNA playback is added in https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=17997 and https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=17998

ropieeeXL is still 99% Roon orientated like you pointed.

I guess that MediaMonkey dedicated bridge can be made to get remote MM control. Something similar has been under work at viewtopic.php?f=27&t=99004 with fair results.

Also question is do you PULL (Browse and play) tracks off MM DLNA server from pi DLNA client application or you PUSH DLNA/Chromcast playback (USE MM Play To option) to pi DLNA renderer client?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
zombiefly

Post by zombiefly »

For my setup it would mainly be push. Having a browser mechanism on the endpoint screen would introduce a lot of complication (the pi screen is 7inch).
MM5 latest [Gold] / MMA latest | OnePlus 8 PRO | Noise I make: Pushkin on Soundcloud
zombiefly

Post by zombiefly »

the websockets project is looking very promising, it has all the required components already working! my screens could be alive again! :)
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
See/Ask there maybe you and dev can make something very useful.

I must confess that you got my interest on the project and will be watching it from time to time, especially as it something new done for MM5, while MM4 had similar projects.

I've also added few features to our to-do to expand scripting/addon developing to more devices accessing MM.

Thank you for supporting us and give us good ideas to make MM even better in future.
Best regards,
Peke
zombiefly

Post by zombiefly »

Peke wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:28 pm Hi,
See/Ask there maybe you and dev can make something very useful.

I must confess that you got my interest on the project and will be watching it from time to time, especially as it something new done for MM5, while MM4 had similar projects.

I've also added few features to our to-do to expand scripting/addon developing to more devices accessing MM.

Thank you for supporting us and give us good ideas to make MM even better in future.
no problem, hopefully someone can assist! :wink:
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Have you contacted dev?
Best regards,
Peke
zombiefly

Post by zombiefly »

not yet, wasn't sure where to go. was hoping someone would see this? where should i ask? in the other thread about websockets?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Yes, as that is the closes one to what you want to archive.
Best regards,
Peke
Peke

Post by Peke »

I wonder if you can https://thisdavej.com/beginners-guide-t ... pberry-pi/ and see if "MM5 API with WebSockets in NodeJS" can be used to control MM5 while installing DLNA renderer on Pi https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/q ... a-renderer that way you can add your Pi to multi room and use WebSockets in NodeJS to control MM.

It really sounds great, just thinking about it.
Best regards,
Peke
zombiefly

Post by zombiefly »

i will investigate. can't be too hard to do. first i need to get set up with the dev tools. it's been a while :)