iMonkey - iPhone/iPod Touch Client for MediaMonkey

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

Melloware

iMonkey - iPhone/iPod Touch Client for MediaMonkey

Post by Melloware »

iMonkey iPhone/iPod Touch client has been released!

http://melloware.com/products/imonkey/

iMonkey is a MediaMonkey Client for the iPhone/iPod Touch and is a native iPhone application that allows you to control MediaMonkey anywhere in your house. I don't use ITunes, I use the wonderful MediaMonkey for my huge music collection of over 70,000 songs. I know Apple has Remote for ITunes but i wanted something similar for controlling MediaMonkey from my iPhone. I wanted to be able to Play Pause, Stop, etc as well as browse my playlist and select a new song. Great for parties or for DJ's who want their PC's hidden from their partygoers but still want complete control over the music playing! iMonkey consists of two pieces...a server piece which runs on your PC and the client piece which runs on your iPhone or iPod Touch. The server piece included here is called iMonkey.exe and is critical to using iMonkey on the iPhone.

The purpose of this program is simple: to allow control of your MediaMonkey from your iPhone/iPod Touch with the touch of a finger.

Don't be a slave to your PC anymore, rock out from anywhere in your house!

Edit 11/25/2009: For those of you that haven't purchased iMonkey yet we have released a second generation product called MonkeyTunes that can be found here:

http://melloware.com/products/monkeytunes/
Last edited by Melloware on Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware Inc.
MonkeyTunes - DACP Server for MediaMonkey
Intelliremote - Take Back Control of your HTPC!
cmx

Re: iMonkey - iPhone/iPod Touch Client for MediaMonkey

Post by cmx »

This sounds great! I have become a huge fan of the iTunes remote. (only using iTunes for a small subset of my full library while waiting for iphone sync issues to be resolved)

Question. From the blurbs its seems to ONLY work with the current playlist. Is this correct?

If this is its only functionality it is useless for me at this point. I don't use playlists at all.

Thanks for the great innovation for MM. This is something I think will be ubiquitous very quickly. Hope I will be able to navigate my complete scanned library in MM by "node" as well as playlist. I'm heartened by the fact that you have a large library and will keep large users in mind as you develope iMonkey's remote capability.
Melloware

Post by Melloware »

cmx wrote:This sounds great! I have become a huge fan of the iTunes remote. (only using iTunes for a small subset of my full library while waiting for iphone sync issues to be resolved)

Question. From the blurbs its seems to ONLY work with the current playlist. Is this correct?

If this is its only functionality it is useless for me at this point. I don't use playlists at all.

Thanks for the great innovation for MM. This is something I think will be ubiquitous very quickly. Hope I will be able to navigate my complete scanned library in MM by "node" as well as playlist. I'm heartened by the fact that you have a large library and will keep large users in mind as you develope iMonkey's remote capability.
I am going to flush out iMonkey's capabilities further and further. The first start was the now playing window, controlling play,pause,stop etc, and the current playlist navigation. I have written the MediaMonkey team and they are supposed to provide me with more robust code example so i can utitlize the full power of MediaMonkey. right now its just a subset. then after that it will be doing searches for songs and being able to add to your playlist etc!

But for now i thought this app would hold us MediaMonkey owners over!!! I love MediaMonkey and for me writing this with even the current functionality has made me the talk of the party....
Melloware Inc.
cmx

Post by cmx »

Sounds Great! Your other products look promising too. I don't use Windows Media Center just not there yet for me...but I have been waiting and looking for products to help with the "convergence" of things.

I would love something that could get all my stuff working together and with the advent of the iphone what a perfect control point...As is, even though the technology has been here for awhile the manufacturers seem to be keeping everything locked up and seperate.

For example...beyond the perfect example of Apple iphone/MM compatibility... is the need to get the TV in the loop. I use Directv. I have a beefed up old Tivo box with huge hard drives...BUT they can't talk to my network...sigh. Port is there...just never enabled...

There's nothing better than Tivo, there's nothing better than Directv, there's nothing better than MM, there's nothing better than iPhone...why can't they work together?

It's so simple what we want as consumers.
Melloware

Post by Melloware »

Thanks for the compliments!

Well you know Intelliremote is not just for MediaCenter right? It controls ANY windows application including MM etc. But the best part is if you own a USB-UIRT device (50$ on the internet) you can blast IR signals to your Tivo or AV receiver or TV or anything. Control your entire home theatre from your iPhone!! In fact that is what a lot of my users use it for. So from their phone they can turn on their TV and Tivo, and then change the change etc. Only if you are interested....
Melloware Inc.
Melloware

Post by Melloware »

Features planned for 1.1 Include:

- Ability to load from any playlist/smartlist in MediaMonkey
- Landscape mode for better view when device turned on its side
- Position of song indicator in Landscape mode so you can jump to a section of a song
- Ability to rate a song 1 to 5 stars on the Landscape mode for song rating.

if anyone would be interested in BETA testing I would be more than happy to add the first 2 responders to my BETA test list.
Melloware Inc.
Beece

Post by Beece »

I'm in. By the way, any plans to allow it to select new music to play based on artist, album?
Melloware

Post by Melloware »

Beece wrote:I'm in. By the way, any plans to allow it to select new music to play based on artist, album?
Beece,

thanks for the interest! The new version 1.1 has been pushed to the appStore and is awaiting Apple's approval (usually take 7+ business days). I had two beta testers test out the version but if you want to be put on the beta list for future versions send me an email!

Selecting Artist and album is planned for a future version but not sure how far in the "future". I am juggling 6 iPhone apps right now and writing one more as we speak.

Some other enhancements for future versions include:

- Swipe left on album cover to go back one song
- Swipe right on album cover to go forward one song
- Delete song from playlist by swiping like you can delete your emails
Melloware Inc.
cmx

Post by cmx »

Now that MM is compatible with 3G phone I downlaoded version 1 of iMonkey.

Pretty disappointing. It really does not work in any useful form here.

Crashes continually for no apparent reason.

No art.

Volume controls do nothing.

The server does not shut down here. Have to do it manually. Vista errors are generated when closing MM etc...

Etc, etc,...

Hopefully the V1.1 will take care of these issues.

The form of Remote/iTunes works perfectly and really should be an integral functionality of MM.

I must say I'm a bit annoyed that you have charged $6 for something this rough. It simply does not work. It's not a question of money but capability and trust. If the V1.1 works well, I'll be the first to praise it until then I could not recommend this software and you have trust to earn.
Melloware

Post by Melloware »

I promise you the v 1.1 is so much better. apple has been holding onto it for 3 weeks.

the reason I know 1.1 is much better is because much of what I added to it was code heavily tested from the RiverMote project which that app is tight and I have gotten 0 bug reports. with patience I promise 1.1 is way better and the code is tight. If Apple doesn't release it soon you are more than welcome to be a tester for it...I just need your UUID from your phone so I can create a custom Ad Hoc build that works only on your phone.
Melloware Inc.
cmx

Post by cmx »

Loaded 1.1....no change- still not functional/crashing. Fresh install on iphone AND MM side.

I want this to work...but it is just not happening. Doesn't seem close. It makes connection but never seems to finish initialization.

Very messy on the server/MM side. I don't want to start MM with your app, and I don't want broken services hanging up and Vista errors when I close MM.

You need to stop charging MM users for this until you have it working.
Melloware

Post by Melloware »

cmx wrote:Loaded 1.1....no change- still not functional/crashing. Fresh install on iphone AND MM side.

I want this to work...but it is just not happening. Doesn't seem close. It makes connection but never seems to finish initialization.

Very messy on the server/MM side. I don't want to start MM with your app, and I don't want broken services hanging up and Vista errors when I close MM.

Let me try and address some of your issues.

Are you using the 1.1 version of the EXE or the 1.0? You need to use the 1.1 version. I have had 3 beta testers and no one reporting these problems. Can you send me your imonkey.log file which is located right next to the EXE. It may help me figure out what is wrong. REMEMBER: I am an MM heavy user and I use this application everyday at both work and home and I am not seeing any issues with 1.1. But then again I am also not running any other MM plugins that may interfere with the COM object. I have over 70,000 songs in my database and I have tested it with playlists of 500 songs.

As for not wanting to start MM with my app please see this post where I have asked the MM team for code to make it a native plugin.

Please refer to this thread where I explain the "COM object still running error" and the need for iMonkey.exe are both due to limitations of MM.

http://forum.melloware.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6458

So I will need from you:

1. Your imonkey.log file

2. Your version of MM you are running.

3. If you have verified you are using the 1.1 EXE just try loading a small playlist of 10 songs.

This will greatly help me figure out why you are having problem.
Last edited by Melloware on Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Melloware Inc.
hansi54

Post by hansi54 »

cmx wrote:Loaded 1.1....no change- still not functional/crashing. Fresh install on iphone AND MM side.
Hi cmx

manic monday?

Not for me, all the new stuff announced for v1.1 works as promised.
This is the most luxury remote control I ever used, and the No. 1 reason to have a iPhone aside MM, which is the best player softer on to planet.

Greez and hopefully your Monday ends better then it starts :wink:
Hansi

My config: iPhone v.2.1 (no Jailbreak etc.) , MediaMonkey_3.0.6.1189_RC1, Vista SP1 english
cmx

Post by cmx »

Running 1.1 as far as I know.
I was able to get Album Art to show up on the iphone itself ONCE briefly this morning..

Very erratic behavior...
Currently there is no album art on the iphone and it is presenting "Initialization Please Wait..."
Stop, Start, etc... seem to be functioning on "Now Playing"..."Playlist" on the iphone doesn't seem to function...

Running MM 1189 no debug.

Here is the current log file:
[10/20/2008 8:16:46 AM] INIT >iMonkey [STARTING]
[10/20/2008 8:16:46 AM] START >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[10/20/2008 8:16:46 AM] START >iMonkey Version: 1.1.0.71
[10/20/2008 8:16:46 AM] START >System : Windows Vista Home Edition
[10/20/2008 8:16:46 AM] START >IP Address: 192.168.1.107
[10/20/2008 8:16:46 AM] START >Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26GHz
[10/20/2008 8:16:46 AM] START >Display : 1600x900 pixels, 32 bpp
[10/20/2008 8:16:46 AM] START >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[10/20/2008 8:16:46 AM] INIT >Initialize Registry Settings
[10/20/2008 8:16:46 AM] INIT >Socket = 6001
[10/20/2008 8:16:46 AM] INIT >Max Connections = 1
[10/20/2008 8:16:46 AM] INIT >TimerIntervalInMilliseconds = 500
[10/20/2008 8:16:46 AM] INIT >Compression Enabled = -1
[10/20/2008 8:16:46 AM] INIT >Compression Percent = 75
[10/20/2008 8:16:49 AM] INIT >MediaMonkey Version: 3.0.6
[10/20/2008 8:16:49 AM] INIT >iMonkey [STARTED]
[10/20/2008 8:17:35 AM] SERVER>Socket Connect: 192.168.1.101
[10/20/2008 8:17:35 AM]COMMAND>version
[10/20/2008 8:17:35 AM]COMMAND>plist
[10/20/2008 8:17:35 AM]COMMAND>slist
[10/20/2008 8:17:35 AM] PLIST >Loading available playlists
[10/20/2008 8:21:03 AM]COMMAND>NOW8090
[10/20/2008 8:21:04 AM]COMMAND>NOW8090
[10/20/2008 8:21:08 AM]COMMAND>NOW8090
[10/20/2008 8:21:08 AM]COMMAND>NOW8090
[10/20/2008 8:21:12 AM]COMMAND>PLAY
[10/20/2008 8:21:16 AM]COMMAND>NOW8091
[10/20/2008 8:21:18 AM]COMMAND>NOW8091
[10/20/2008 8:22:35 AM] SERVER>Socket Server Error: [192.168.1.101] Connection Closed Gracefully.
[10/20/2008 8:22:35 AM] SERVER>Socket Disconnect: 192.168.1.101
[10/20/2008 8:22:43 AM] SERVER>Socket Connect: 192.168.1.101
[10/20/2008 8:22:43 AM]COMMAND>version
[10/20/2008 8:22:43 AM]COMMAND>plist
[10/20/2008 8:22:43 AM]COMMAND>slist
[10/20/2008 8:22:43 AM] PLIST >Loading available playlists
[10/20/2008 8:23:17 AM]COMMAND>PLAY
[10/20/2008 8:23:17 AM]COMMAND>PLAY
[10/20/2008 8:23:20 AM]COMMAND>PLAY
[10/20/2008 8:25:13 AM]COMMAND>NOW10452
[10/20/2008 8:29:02 AM]COMMAND>NOW37809
[10/20/2008 8:29:03 AM]COMMAND>NOW37809
[10/20/2008 8:29:22 AM]COMMAND>PLAY
[10/20/2008 8:29:23 AM]COMMAND>PLAY
[10/20/2008 8:29:56 AM]COMMAND>STOP
[10/20/2008 8:29:58 AM]COMMAND>PLAY
[10/20/2008 8:30:07 AM]COMMAND>NEXT
[10/20/2008 8:30:11 AM]COMMAND>NEXT
[10/20/2008 8:30:15 AM]COMMAND>PREVIOUS

Please let me know if there is anything else you need.

I read your posts concerning native implementation problems... until it is resolved can you clean up the functionality?...it is messy here because your com service will not shut down without reboot or shutting process with Taskmanager...cannot close and restart MM.

Hopefully you can get this working...as I stated in previous posts I am very supportive of the idea of this functionality and look forward to it!

You charged users for your software having presented it as functional...from the posts presented it is obviously NOT working with MM as far as the com services are concerned. This is on you- not MM.
Melloware

Post by Melloware »

cmx wrote:You charged users for your software having presented it as functional...from the posts presented it is obviously NOT working with MM as far as the com services are concerned. This is on you- not MM.
CMX,

Please be patient. I am trying to help you through this. I have over 100 other users and no one is reporting what you are seeing. So before attacking me and blaming me let's try and work through this together. I have done everything in my power to contain the COM error and it works perfectly on my 3.0.4 setup on both Vista and XP. So let's do some digging...

1. I told you repeatedly...on two different setups with THREE different beta testers no one is seeing the problems you are seeing. So it is something custom to your setup which I am trying to help you establish.

Well I run 3.0.4 at work and home and I don't get the COM error because I trap for it and when you close MM main window the COM object closes gracefully. The fact that yours isn't leads me to believe you have something else going on. Could it be you are running other plugins that are holding on to the COM object? I run NO other MM plugins.

A couple of other things to consider.

2. Are you using FLAC's or MP3's?

3. Have you tried using a Small playlist of 10 songs in the now playing and have NO Smartlists? Let's narrow this down to see if its a data volume issue with the amount of Playlists you might potentially have on your PC. I have to loop through each of your Playlists and MM seems to be slow when getting counts of playlists greater than 500. Once again MM and not my code.

4. If you have really LARGE album covers it may be that it is taking a while to base64 encode the data of the image to the phone. Try changing this registry setting to 5 HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Melloware\iMonkey\CompressionPercent This tells iMonkey how much to compress the images before sending them to the phone and if you have huge covers a value of 5% will compress them greatly speeding up the time it takes to push the cover to the phone.

5. I also noticed your MM version says 3.0.6? I only see 3.0.5 available from their site and I did all my testing and I am currently using 3.0.4. Are you using some kind of BETA?

I have created a custom EXE just for you. This will spit out LOTs of information so you may have to email me the log rather than post it here.

http://melloware.lostlands.net/download ... -debug.zip

This shows every packet being transmitted to the iphone and the data it contains. I am on your side here. I want it to work for you as much as you do...and it we can't get it working I am more than happy to issue you a refund.
Melloware Inc.