iMonkey - iPhone/iPod Touch Client for MediaMonkey

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

danhackley

Re: iMonkey - iPhone/iPod Touch Client for MediaMonkey

Post by danhackley »

EXCELLENT app Melloware. And I'm glad to see your helpful participation in resolving users issues (even if it does ultimately help your product, as cmx hypothesised!).

I downloaded version 1.3 today from the iStore and installed it onto my iPhone 3GS which I got yesterday. Works a dream. But, as you said, there is much room for improvement.

If you're looking for more B-testers then I can help you out. A few preliminary suggestions for the current version;

1. An album art browsing method would be ideal. The iPod has coverflow....the iPhone has coverflow....daft question, but why doesn't iMonkey have coverflow? Keep up with the competition, man! :p (I use the Monkeyflow plugin for Mediamonkey itself, which does this on the PC and is excellent)

2. I'm not convinced about the reliance on playlists. Sure, have it there as a feature, but I for one don't use them, except for personalised compilations that I made. The vast majority of browsing is by album (my library is only full albums). So when I fire up iMonkey on my iPod, instead of having access to my 83,096 tracks (1.15TB), I have about 90 "smartlists", which to my eyes seems to be a completely random selection of albums.

3. When playing music on the "now playing" screen, an indication of where in the playlist you are would be very useful. Something as simple as "track 2 of 12" would suffice.

4. The option to customise the display. I'd love to get ride of those rating stars, as I dont use them (I think they're arbitrary and a bit pointless).

Good work!
Dan
Sony Vaio Laptop
Thecus N5200B NAS
Windows 7
MM3 Gold 3.2
Looking for jukebox software that manages a large collection, has good album art integration and plays flac as well as MP3
Melloware

Post by Melloware »

Server EXE 1.3.0.114 fixes a bug where if you had a PNG, BMP, or GIF as an embedded album cover in your ID3 tag then iMonkey was not decoding it properly and was throwing a JPEG Error #53 in the log file.

http://melloware.biz/download/warez/imonkey-server.zip
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware Inc.
MonkeyTunes - DACP Server for MediaMonkey
Intelliremote - Take Back Control of your HTPC!
danhackley

Post by danhackley »

Hey Melloware, when's the update coming that means we don't need to rely on playlists? Cheers!!
Sony Vaio Laptop
Thecus N5200B NAS
Windows 7
MM3 Gold 3.2
Looking for jukebox software that manages a large collection, has good album art integration and plays flac as well as MP3
Diabolic-Destiny

Post by Diabolic-Destiny »

Wow this looks awesome. although i don't see me really using it because im pretty sure it needs wifi and i rarely use my itouch's wifi.
mattnat73

Post by mattnat73 »

Great app - but I sooooooo wish I could navigate my library without using playlists. When will that functionality be available? Thanks much.
Melloware

Post by Melloware »

mattnat73 wrote:Great app - but I sooooooo wish I could navigate my library without using playlists. When will that functionality be available? Thanks much.
Well I don't know when and if, been swamped lately working on mutliple different things.

But I might have something even better that I am thinking about working on for you MediaMonkey/iPhone/iPod lovers. I can't say what it is since I am not sure I can even do it. :)

But I hope that you like MediaMonkey and iMonkey and its current abilities. :)
Melloware Inc.
davinci

Post by davinci »

The interface / graphical buttons for iMonkey is quite unprofessionally looking.. what about a revamped interface that is more "apple remote" look-a-like? Simple, clean and uncluttered!
Melloware

Post by Melloware »

davinci wrote:The interface / graphical buttons for iMonkey is quite unprofessionally looking.. what about a revamped interface that is more "apple remote" look-a-like? Simple, clean and uncluttered!
Davinci, I think am one step ahead of you! I have been listening to all the iMonkey feedback and taking good notes. I am still in the "prototype" phase but I have been working on a MediaMonkey related project that I think will give you and many other users exactly what you want AND need.
Melloware Inc.
danhackley

Post by danhackley »

When When? :)
Sony Vaio Laptop
Thecus N5200B NAS
Windows 7
MM3 Gold 3.2
Melloware

Post by Melloware »

danhackley wrote:When When? :)
I have been working A LOT on a prototype and it is going pretty well. Feedback that I have taken into account from iMonkey users that are going into this Top Secret "Project X" are...

1. Ability to connect to more than one MediaMonkey if you switch between home and school etc and have different IP Addresses.
2. Ability to find your running MediaMonkey instance without knowing your IP Address.
3. Ability to browse your entire catalog by artist and album.
4. Ability to do Full Text search of your entire catalog.
5. Connection stability issues with Client staying connected to MediaMonkey Server.
6. Apple iPhone/iPod Touch client AND Google Android client, and possibly others.
7. Get rid of special EXE to run MediaMonkey which interferes with skins and other plugins. Make it a first class citizen MediaMonkey plugin unlike iMonkey.
8. Look more "professional" like Apple's Remote. People don't like iMonkey's icons or look.

Does all of that sound good? I hope I don't upset too many iMonkey users, but I think this new project is definitely going to be much better and much more maintainable as well as give MediaMonkey users what they want, need, and deserve!!
Melloware Inc.
danhackley

Post by danhackley »

This looks great; especially "Ability to browse your entire catalog by artist and album" - this is what a lot of users have been asking for. Browing by playlists was (in my option) always a bit difficult and fiddly.

Good work !!!
Sony Vaio Laptop
Thecus N5200B NAS
Windows 7
MM3 Gold 3.2
tinana

Post by tinana »

Ooooh, this sounds excellent. I purchased the imonkey app early on but admit I rarely use it anymore...compared to itunes remote it's deficient. I wish you success!
MM Gold/Lifetime member
Melloware

Post by Melloware »

tinana wrote:Ooooh, this sounds excellent. I purchased the imonkey app early on but admit I rarely use it anymore...compared to itunes remote it's deficient. I wish you success!
Tinana, I think you will be really happy with this new product then. I remember you were one of my first iPhone appstore reviews!

I hope to be releasing this product within the next month. I am 90% complete coding and I have been doing a lot of testing and quality assurance. I want to make sure it is perfect before releasing it.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware

Post by Melloware »

The new project is complete. To read more about it or to try it our for yourself see this URL:

http://melloware.com/products/monkeytunes/
Melloware Inc.
danhackley

Post by danhackley »

Excellent and works pretty well. Too bad you now have to pay $10 for it - you kept that one quiet ! And you have to uninstall it to run Mediamonkey again! Not that I don't think it's worth $10 - I just think you should make this clear before the user installs it.

Dan
Last edited by danhackley on Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sony Vaio Laptop
Thecus N5200B NAS
Windows 7
MM3 Gold 3.2