Google Music

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

adamg

Re: Google Music Beta

Post by adamg »

The best thing is FREE 20,000 song storage/backup and access from anywhere!!!!!
I have about 14k songs so far uploaded to google music (it is all tied to your gmail account,) and about 2k songs on my android phone, therefore i can seamlessly access, browse, and play 16k songs on the google music app and make playlists via my phone or mediamonkey or google music. But, google music does need a little work with playlist import or integration between all these methods. How I do it, I have several playlists in mediamonkey that i rely on, but none in google music that i rely on or my phone that i rely on. (but that hopefully will change in the future if google music integrates playlists of the same name.)

And it does have an "itunes store" type of purchase option through the market. Plus, it has lots of free songs of the day, of which are not the "top 40 hits":)
Mediamonkey Lifetime since 2012
My favorite scripts:
RegExp Find and Replace by Zvezdan http://solair.eunet.rs/~zvezdand/RegExpReplace.htm
GenreFinder by Trixmoto http://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/brows ... re-finder/
Earliest Release Date by wxdude http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=66766
MagicNodes by Zvezdan http://solair.eunet.rs/~zvezdand/MagicNodes.htm
Tagging Inconsistencies by Bex http://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/brows ... istencies/
wormywyrm

Post by wormywyrm »

I would like to quickly draw attention to these instructions by cmatte of setting up an automatic sync from MediaMonkey to Google Music (via WMP).

Original Thread: https://groups.google.com/a/googleprodu ... UpuSmx-WIJ

Cleaned Up Instructions:
Let's try to sum things up for people who want to try and use Google Music's great new service AND the already great Media Monkey. ;) This will sync any changes in MediaMonkey's music or playlists into Google Music, totally automatically.

1) Find, install and activate a script which exports your playlists in a regular and automatic manner in any folder/root of your music collection, or somewhere else, it just doesn't matter as long as you tell WMP where they are in step 3. I would advice you to put the saved playlists into the same music folder to make things simpler. The script named Export M3Us/Create Playlists for Child Nodes is what I used to do this (I've tried version 3.5.3 and 3.6 so far).

2) After installing, visit the options menu for your new MediaMonkey script under File>Export Playlists>Options. Options I've set that accomplish our duties are:
*export to single folder
*all sub-level of nodes (cmatte recommends this, but I, wormy found it to export playlists of every single artist in my library, which was just way too many extra playlists, so I recommend turning it off)
*relative paths in m3us (important!)
*skip exports of nodes/folder: ^(CD|Disc) ?\d+|Accessible Tracks|Imported playlists
*use regular expressions for specifying paths/folders (important!)
*exclude unavailable files
*ANSI (important!)
*extended .m3u format (important!)
*automatically export on shutdown, and every 60 mins. (wormy likes to use every 5 mins because it exports really fast and uses barely any CPU)

3) Now open our dear old Windows Media Player and set it to NOT reorganize our music collection with names and so on (it should be defaulted to this but you may want to check anyways under Options>Library). We must add our folders that contain our music and those that contain the playlists to the WMP library to let it load/create a multimedia database. Once it loads your playlists should appear into WMP, and be auto-updated shortly after MM updates them! They should show up in WMP after you add your music and playlist folders to the WMP library. If you only add the playlists but not the music itself to the library, you may find that the playlists appear in WMP but they do not sync into google music... Make sure to add both your music and playlists to WMP (it should take a while).

4) Now install Google Music Manager. After the first time you open Google Music Manager set it to check WMP to load all your music. From then on it will be done automatically in background even without WMP open, because Google Music Manager silently opens wmplayer.exe to let it update your library (from the folder that MM is loading your playlists and music into) and load/compare it with the known Google Music one.

5) From now on the whole syncing work is going to be done transparently without any action on your part!!! And it's super cool to see our phones daily downloading to offline the new/modified songs from our favorite playlists ;) In short, what we have done is made our music go from MM Database -> A folder of M3U files -> WMP Database -> GMM -> Google Music. From google music it will sync to your phone or wherever!
(PS, sorry for posting this multiple times but there were multiple threads that I felt it was relevant in)
MM to Grooveshark Playlist Sync w/ MonkeyShark.
http://lysle.net/projects/monkeyshark.php
mjlenox

Post by mjlenox »

Uggggh! So close, but this isn't working for me. The script for MM4 appears to be working perfectly. All of the playlists now show up auto-magically on my media share disk (which is on my network). However, WMP does NOT show any of the playlists that are there, even though the Music library is directed to monitor that network location. It is so frustrating when something should be so stupidly simple and is not! Here are the settings on the script:

http://picpaste.com/Capture-ByeJj01f.JPG

If I am doing something wrong, please help. This is driving me CRAZY.

lohimm

Post by lohimm »

i am really curious if it can be a serious competition to itunes and grooveshark. but looks cool!
Sir Loin

Post by Sir Loin »

Wormy, when setting options for "Export M3Us/Create Playlists for Child Nodes" you stated that you would turn off 'All sub-level of nodes'. How did you turn it off? All I can do is either select 'First Level of nodes only' or 'Last level of nodes only'
Thanks for you help!
I still awaiting my copy of 'MENSA for Dummies'
windcrest77

Post by windcrest77 »

Sir Loin wrote:Wormy, when setting options for "Export M3Us/Create Playlists for Child Nodes" you stated that you would turn off 'All sub-level of nodes'. How did you turn it off? All I can do is either select 'First Level of nodes only' or 'Last level of nodes only'
Thanks for you help!
Does the Google thing play flac, ape, ogg, wma (lossless), wv (wavepack), and m4a files? As these are the formats I use generally.
jamesketron

Post by jamesketron »

I tried Google Music, it's fine!
wormywyrm

Re: Google Music

Post by wormywyrm »

I have some excellent news for google music fans, Simon Weber recently released an unofficial API for google music:
https://github.com/simon-weber/Unoffici ... -Music-API

This means we can code mediamonkey add-ons that will sync directly with google music. The API is written in Python. If anyone is interested in helping me with this project let me know, I have never used Python before but I think I will be able to get it working OK. I am more worried about getting python to work with mediamonkey since have only made 1 (relatively simple) mediamonkey plugin. I am very into cloud music solutions and see MM as an entry point for our music collections and cloud solutions as the distributors of our collections.

This comes at a pretty good time for me because I've recently decided to stop using Grooveshark. I think its a good program but I was just getting frustrated by how slow it was and how glitchy it's android app was.
MM to Grooveshark Playlist Sync w/ MonkeyShark.
http://lysle.net/projects/monkeyshark.php
llamanerds

Post by llamanerds »

Man, I wish I had time and brain power to work on this! I would love to see MediaMonkey/GoogleMusic talk to each other seamlessly. Ideally, I wish I could use MM to stream music from GM, so I could get rid of all of my local music storage and just use GM for storage. Sorry I can't help code, but let me know if you want help testing scripts
imanuelaa

Post by imanuelaa »

I think you need to try this because Google is getting bigger and bigger.
cmatte

Post by cmatte »

Hi guys, I'm glad my hints was useful for you :wink:
Sir Loin wrote:Wormy, when setting options for "Export M3Us/Create Playlists for Child Nodes" you stated that you would turn off 'All sub-level of nodes'. How did you turn it off? All I can do is either select 'First Level of nodes only' or 'Last level of nodes only'
Thanks for you help!
wormy meant to choose first level of nodes only.
I'm using all sub-levels because my MM isn't set to create playlist for every artist or album so the problem he experience is not there for me. Don't know where's the option but anyway this is not important, it's just something you have to decide, it won't impact functionality!

@all
Lately I'm experiencing some glitches due to WMP messing my library randomly and Music Manager having some glitches/silent crashes (due to wmp? who knows!). For example it was some time it didn't update new music to my Google library. I could see the songs in the wmp library if I opened it, but Music Manager didn't find the new files and upload them anymore. I had to completely close Music Manager, clean the wmp library from the tool menu, restart wmp, wait for it to rescan all my library, open Music Manager again and change its setting to wmp library again to let it re-read it. Quite annoying. Fortunately Music Manager seems quite good to recognize already sent music and avoid sending everything again if it's already there.
I've just read on the Google forums that sometimes the music manager has problems with id3 tags and that's why it doesn't upload some files. So I let MM clean all the id3 v1 and v2 tags on the whole library (tools - advanced tags - clean v1+v2 tags) and then rewrite them (tools - advanced tags - sync tags). Also I'm just trying to see what happens using Music Manager just with the folder where I have my music library and playlists, it's now re-uploading some songs (perhaps due to the new tags) and I'll let you know if we are able to use it just this way, avoiding the wmp always open and its glitches with the library!

p.s. the service does support:
Format | Extension
** aac .m4a
* wma .wma
** FLAC .flac
** ogg .ogg
* wma files are only supported by the Windows version of the Google Play Music Manager.
** FLAC, ogg and aac files are transcoded to 320kbps mp3.
source: http://support.google.com/googleplay/bi ... er=1100462

Wormy, hope your plans are going on well, it's a great idea :wink:
simon_weber

Post by simon_weber »

Hey guys, I'm Simon - the creator of the Google Music api that wormy linked.

I'm a MediaMonkey user, too! Now that the api is pretty much feature-complete (I just added non-mp3 uploading today), I'm looking into building something to automate syncing from Media Monkey. Since any application has full access to the MM database, this shouldn't be too much of a problem. My current plan is to implement one way syncing, from MM to Google Music. The solution would be external, and in Python to ease interaction with the api. It would work by setting up a typical audit-log on the MM database, and storing a bit of Google Music data in with the existing song/playlist metadata.

If you guys - or anyone else who happens to find this thread - are still interested in this, let me know. I may or may not have time to put towards this project right away, but even if it has to wait it's something I intend to get around to.
simon_weber

Post by simon_weber »

(I made a real account so I can get notifications.)
cmatte

Post by cmatte »

Hi Simon,
thanks, it's great to hear that! I can't be of much help in developing but I'd like to test your work for sure, as actually I'm using a combination of MM+WMM+Music Manager just to upload / sync all my music. So, if I can help, let me know.
What about your work in Google? Are you going to continue working on this after your work for G starts?
simon_weber

Post by simon_weber »

So, if I can help, let me know.
Will do! More people testing is always a good thing.
What about your work in Google? Are you going to continue working on this after your work for G starts?
I hope to. I won't be directly working on the api - just using it as a tool. I don't see any problem with that. I'll just be sure to label it an unofficial and unsupported solution.