Wireless Digital Media Receivers

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

sbiehle

Wireless Digital Media Receivers

Post by sbiehle »

Anybody here have any recommendations for a good mid-range Digital Media Receiver (DMR)? By DMR I mean a device that I can wirelessly transmit my music files from my PC to my stereo.

I currently own Creative's Soundblaster Wireless Music, which on the surface seems like a nice device, especially for under $200, but the problem is it can't handle streaming large audio collections (my library is between 25,000 -30,000 mp3s). Additionally, you have to use Creative's Soundblaster software and it's pretty awful.

Ideally I'd like a system that operated wirelessly, could handle a large collection, has either a display for my stereo or a LCD remote, and has the option of using different PC audio/media players, preferrably MediaMonkey.

I've looked into the Sonos system, but it's a bit pricey for my range right now.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

go to
http://www.callforhelptv.com
and look at their articles they did a round up of the digital units a couple weeks ago.

they should have the information your looking for.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
sbiehle

Call for more help

Post by sbiehle »

Thanks, but I can't find anything on Call for Help about DRMs. They have a feature on FM receivers for your car (not worth it btw - drastically reduces quality of mp3s) - but nothing on home stereo setups. If you've gotta link that would be great, otherwise, anybody else using something they like?
UKChris

Post by UKChris »

Hi
I use a Roku Soundbrige and I am mostly delighted with it. Slim Devices Squeezebox might also me you needs.
HTH
Chris
rovingcowboy

Re: Call for more help

Post by rovingcowboy »

sbiehle wrote:Thanks, but I can't find anything on Call for Help about DRMs. They have a feature on FM receivers for your car (not worth it btw - drastically reduces quality of mp3s) - but nothing on home stereo setups. If you've gotta link that would be great, otherwise, anybody else using something they like?
heres the link to the page for the list of transmitters.

they were digital transmitters not analog and were for either the car or your home i think the rocket one is the one they liked not sure on that though you should email andy at callforhelptv dot com and ask him what the one was he said to use.

http://www.callforhelptv.com/callforhel ... amberstips
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

iTunes comes with a piece of hardware that integrates with the software to transmit audio. The nice thing is that it uses the current network (wireless).

This would be an ideal solution for MM too. Where by you can select a hardware as ur output source and it would use the existing network infrastructure to stream the music.

I have discussed this before on the forum and no one had an idea of a software independent solution. I also contacted some of the network equipment makers like linksys, dlink, etc and they didn't have a solution. Nor were they very helpful.
laryu

Post by laryu »

There are actually a whole bunch of them: Roku, Philips Streamium, Sonos, Slim, Linksys, SMC, D-Link and others. It would depends on what feature set you're looking for. CNET talks about some of them here:
http://reviews.cnet.com/4521-6531_7-502 ... l?tag=more

There are other products, also.

Incidentally, I use an old Audiotron to play music stored on my server through my stereo. My Audiotron is connected via wired Ethernet but a friend of mine set his up to connect wirelessly so I know that it can be done. One cool thing with the Audiotron is that requires no software on the server-side. The Audiotron will index music found on network shares. No MusicMatch, iTunes or any other streaming software necessary.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

But these all use there own formats.

First of all I don't want to use a server(normal PC) but a laptop. Secondly I want to use current network (wireless). Thirdly I want to use mediamonkey and stream (push) the audio to the stereo. Lastly I don't want to use a FM transmitter due to quality issues.

The only equipment I have seen so far that does this is the apple airport express. The only problem is that is needs iTunes. Most of the other equipments use pull streaming where by the equipment pulls the content of the network.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

At the moment there is a huge hole in the market hear, hopefully it will be filled soon! :)
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
agentsmart

Post by agentsmart »

:P :P

hurry up somebody get the plug for that hole all the digital stuff is leaking out. :lol: 8) :roll: :roll:
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I have written to some of the network hardware manufacturers and that hassn't resulted in anything yet. :(
laryu

Post by laryu »

I don't understand the "server" vs. laptop distinction. I use a laptop as a "server" for my Audiotron. And there a number of products that use wifi, not FM.

That leaves me with the distinction you draw between push and pull. Granted, the Audiotron is a pull device, but at least it doesn't require any software at all on my laptop/server. For most of the other products (eg, Roku), however, I think you can control them both in hardware (pull) from the device and in software (push) from whatever streaming music server is in use (eg, iTunes, MusicMatch, WMP). I could be wrong there, but if not, isn't it then a distinction with no difference?

Personally, I would like MediaMonkey to be among those software streaming music servers that I could use with a device like Roku.
Lowlander wrote:First of all I don't want to use a server(normal PC) but a laptop. Secondly I want to use current network (wireless). Thirdly I want to use mediamonkey and stream (push) the audio to the stereo. Lastly I don't want to use a FM transmitter due to quality issues.

The only equipment I have seen so far that does this is the apple airport express. The only problem is that is needs iTunes. Most of the other equipments use pull streaming where by the equipment pulls the content of the network.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

If you use a pull device, you have the hassle of trying to access your music using a remote control and little screen. I want a push device that allows me to completely control the music with MM. A simple little box that grabs my music out of the air (wifi) and pumps it into my stereo amp is all I require! :( :-? :) :D
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Exactly!! So my laptop can send music to the stereo without the need for extra equipment with the laptop and from anywhere my network reaches.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Here is a product that can receive audio from winamp: http://www.devolo.co.uk/uk_EN/produkte/ ... audio.html. Unfortunately it uses homeplug technology and it isn't cheap.