What media players do people recommend?

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

Mikey1969

What media players do people recommend?

Post by Mikey1969 »

Hi all,

I am looking at offloading the iPods that my family uses and getting something new. I'm just not sure what is the best solution. I have some old Android phones that I use as media players, but I don't really want a big phone that I don't need most of the functions on. There are some instances where I really do want a dedicated MP3 player.

So what does everyone recommend that isn't an iPod or a phone?

I'm looking into the Sony NW-A45/B Walkman, for example, but it sounds like I won't be able to do WiFi sync(Which I'm really starting to like), and it sounds like there are some syncing issues with the device anyway.

So I think the first option would be if there was an Android based device that would run MM Pro, and didn't have all of the phone functions that I don't need.

Or a 3rd party non-Android or Apple device that has some nice features to work with MM.

Just kind of trying to decide what direction to look, and would love some suggestions and reviews of different devices.
Peke

Re: What media players do people recommend?

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I have worked with users on Sony NW-A45 devices and we managed to compile working Device sync profile https://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/brow ... 40-series/ that works fairly well. Personally I have been occasional user of Sony for past 30 Years (Walkman, DiskMan, MiniDisk players/recorders, Older Walkman phones, newer Android Phones, headphones, Monitors, TVs) and somehow even initially very satisfied with product I always end seeking replacement very fast till they release something new that catches my eyes.

FiiO Devices looks and work good, but they lack of Support is disappointing. I have personally contacted them and provided them means to whitelist MMA on their devices but unfortunately as said here https://www.head-fi.org/threads/meet-th ... t-14817780 they lacked to give me any reply after I sent them all needed information even I clearly provided them with enough info to even add support for WiFi Sync on devices that supports it. Some users report MMA sideload, we also created Sync Profile that sort of make workaround to FiiO playlist handling https://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/browse/item/fiio-m7/

There are also several devices I have tested and few USB Sound Cards that work with OTG cables to provide external Audio to some phones making them great for listening Hi Res audio with much more dynamics and quality, but right combination usually takes too much money over the budget and more advanced knowledge than needed.

Basically the best approach would be to find show room, take your own headphones and test few devices on high res files and see what they actually support in terms of playlists and managing/reading metadata in files.

Apple devices is complete another story which I would like to avoid, but lack of customization freedom of choice and limited access to devices is main issue for me that do not like to have his toys sit in original packaging and not being able to play with them.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Snofru

Post by Snofru »

I am using a Sony NW-A35 which is very similar to the NW-A45 with a 256 GB SD-card. USB sync runs fine after I found the correct settings.

The only downside for me is that there is no play count with the NW-A35.
MMW Version 5.1.0.2827 Portable
Samsung Galaxy S23+, S9 and Sony NW-A105 with MMA Beta 2.0.0.1156
Mikey1969

Post by Mikey1969 »

This was a great, very thorough rundown, thank you very much. This gives me an idea what issues some of the different devices have faced. The Sony looks pretty good as an option, I've had good luck with Sony products in the past, so I am pretty happy with product quality itself. Sounds like it works well enough with MM. I don't need the play count, as the other user mentioned, so that's OK.

Thanks again!
Peke wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:00 pm Hi,
I have worked with users on Sony NW-A45 devices and we managed to compile working Device sync profile...
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Apple and Android (with MMA) devices have the benefit of being able to sync Play History and tag changes back to MMW. With most other media players you wouldn't have this. Manufacturers like Sony offer small versions of their bigger phones.
With MMA you get the added benefit of an eco system, and MMA 2 should be much improved (more features, like AutoPlaylists are rumored) over the current version, as well as wifi sync capability.
Mikey1969

Post by Mikey1969 »

Awesome guys, thanks again for the input. I think the TL, DR; is that I'm going to stick with old Android devices for now, but it sounds like if I want to go with the Sony Walkman for a dedicated player, that's not too bad of an idea. This gives me an idea of how MM works with some of these devices, also. I gotta say that the WIFi sync is really the selling point for me personally. Nothing is as cool as just making sure the computer is turned on and syncing my music, rather than having to go find a cable and somewhere to set my laptop down to do a USB sync.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
About FiiO Devices you can read here https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 26&t=93603

Re Amazon version of MMA do not require Play Services due the support to amazon own devices.

EDIT: I added https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=15571 to address playlist structure even further for non MMA devices
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Himself776

Portable mp3 devices

Post by Himself776 »

OK. My 13 year old iPod classic is on the way out, and I need to replace it. I'm looking for recommendations that have a SD card slot and can handle playlists properly. I don't really want an apple device because I'd love to kick iTunes into the long grass. Can anybody help?

Thanks!
kevinp

Post by kevinp »

You don't need iTunes for an Apple device. I've got a 6th gen iPod Nano that I've rebuilt once (new buttons, new battery, new screen) that I use everyday to listen to Podcasts and MP3s. It connects to and is controlled by the audio system in my car with no problems. I sync it to MM and never used iTunes.

I've recently bought a Sandisk Clip Sport Plus that I use on my daily walk. It has Bluetooth and my Nano doesn't. I sync it to MM as well, although I miss the play count on it.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Any Apple device running iOS requires iTunes to sync. Any Android based player that can run MediaMonkey for Android can also sync back Playcounts.