Discographies

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

Countryboy

Discographies

Post by Countryboy »

Just wondering,

Do you collect full discographies or are you more specific to what you have in your library? The reason I'm asking is I have the tendency to collect everything from studio albums, greatest hits, Live, deluxe or expanded editions, box sets, etc.... I find I kind of always go back to listening to the original studio releases like back in the days when I was taking my hard earned money and going out and buying LPs. This creates a lot of duplicates with compilation albums when there are only 1 or 2 new songs. I think that maybe 75% of the live albums are not very good, apart from a few classic albums the sound (sometimes the band) really sucks. Live concert for me also have a visual component that makes listening to a live performance not appealing. And nowadays there is all those reissues, remastered, deluxe or expanded edition with songs that never made the original cut or demo that are barely listenable or rough mix or alternate mix that sometimes you can't even tell the difference.

Anyways just though I ask to question to see what you guys do, I feel I have tons of stuff in my library that I don't (or wont) listen to but I have to have for the sake of having a complete discography.
Peke

Re: Discographies

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I tend to buy compilations and Singles not whole albums. Old DJ habit, when I found out that buying Albums takes too much space and often do not contain exotic versions of track I like to use in my set. Much less duplicates and even if tehy are duplicates often same content so I leave only one in library.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

For me it depends on the artist so i guess my answer is no i don't always go for complete discographies. I play my music mostly 'auto-dj' so anything in the collection could be played.
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

I tend to have albums and I am mostly a 'partial' discography completist.
I don't discriminate with type of release much, except I usually steer clear from
repeat compilation albums (best of, hits, etc). This is okay for artist-groups I'm not
heavily into and don't feel the need to have more or much more. If I obtain more from
them, I will just delete repeated tracks from the repeat comp while I'm adding to that artist.

When I collect discogs, I tend to gravitate towards having everything/consecutive from a classic
period or favorite era. I don't ever feel the need to collect "everything" contained
within a catalog (except for maybe a very select few artists-groups).

There are some artists where the collecting is more select, and only obtaining a good smattering
of albums throughout the catalog certainly occurs.

But I don't ever buy anything new on a whim without familiarizing myself with the artist(s) first,
and as a result tend to like, at least half, if not most or all, of their output. I rarely come across
too many tracks that I don't like at all because I typically know what I'm getting into.

Also, I would say a minimum of 1/3 of my all-time favorite songs are not the chart hits/radio singles.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
IanRTaylorUK

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Some discographies. Agree with the comments about duplicates - I tend to assign four or five star rating for favourite version of the replicates and leave the rest with no star or 1 star.

Also having large collections places a bit more emphasis on getting the folder structure and library consistent - not just artist & album name, but things like artwork and genre! MMW4 add-ons like Magic Nodes, Reg Exp Find and Replace and Tagging Inconsistencies help with this.
Ian Taylor