Is Anyone Running MediaMonkey 4 & 5 Together?

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

dypsis

Is Anyone Running MediaMonkey 4 & 5 Together?

Post by dypsis »

I have been testing an installed version of MM5 on a laptop, and on a desktop, I have only tested the portable version.
I like MM4 and rely on a few add-ons that I couldn't live without.

So, I am thinking of installing MM5 on my desktop and keeping MM4 installed on there too.

Is anyone else doing this?
Are there any problems doing it? ๐Ÿ™„
Lowlander

Re: Is Anyone Running MediaMonkey 4 & 5 Together?

Post by Lowlander »

Use Portable Installs it recommended as this keeps everything within the install folder. Otherwise there are no problems having both installed. I have multiple Portable Installs of both MediaMonkey 4 and 5.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

I haven't seen any problem with both installed. Running one at a time though
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
dypsis

Post by dypsis »

Thanks, guys.

So either way must be OK.
robojock

Post by robojock »

Yes you can use both together, but you must remember, any changes made in either one of them will not show up on the other. On first install of mm5 it will offer you to migrate from mm4, but that is only to help you continue where you left off. Anything else will be separate from each other. Example playlists if you create new playlists in either one of them it won't show up on the other. Anything database related won't show up on the other.
IanRTaylorUK

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

I run with four installations of the most current versions. All portable installations with a "normal" and "debug" for both MMW4 and MMW5.

All four installations point to the same music folders. The music folders are backed up using One Drive.

MMW4 is most useful for the add-ons / extensions as not many have been re-written for MMW5. Things like Tagging Inconsistencies / RegExp Find and Replace / Batch M3U Creator.

Not needed to use the "debug" versions for some time due to the improvements and evolution of the software๐Ÿ‘.

Got myself mixed up a few times with synchronisation of devices. What works best for me is to do a "clean install" as per https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... c-profile/ every few months. I also purchased a few dodgy micro SD cards that gave issues.

Take care to set Auto-Organise correctly and consistently between versions! This is a very powerful feature.
Ian Taylor
uitje30

Post by uitje30 »

Hi,

Two pc's with both MM4 and 5 running on them. One PC also has a portable MM5 installation on it.
No problems running any of them.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Same here I have both MM4 and MM5 normal installs running OK and also number of test MM5 portables installs along with one MM4 portable.

Only thing I watch is that Server Ports are not same and you should be safe.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
dypsis

Post by dypsis »

Thanks, all.

I think I'll go with two installations.
There is only one thing better than MediaMonkey. It's two MediaMonkeys. ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜ƒ
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I would only suggest that you manually copy library files instead of importing existing if prompted for import as that way new/separate install will create own space and eliminate possible cross share of folders.
Best regards,
Peke
sallenmd87

Post by sallenmd87 »

Peke wrote: โ†‘Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:04 am Hi,
I would only suggest that you manually copy library files instead of importing existing if prompted for import as that way new/separate install will create own space and eliminate possible cross share of folders.
What do you mean by library files? Are you saying that I should keep two copies of all the songs? All 250,000 of them? I'm thinking of just installing MM5 to test the look and feel without making any changes to any of the files. Without RegExp Finad and Replace and Simple Append, MM5 is useless to me for management purposes. Only playback.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I meant to manually copy DB files from MM4 to MM5 not media itself.

Both Installations will be separate and changes to one will not propagate to other.

You can disable Tag changes in tools -> Options -> Library -> Tags & Playlists, so any change will be in library only.

Please note that RegExp is not our addon and only Author can update it.

As for simple append it is 12 year old script, I have not used it and beside you I have not seen any other user publicly state it is essential during MM5 development. Quick look in script it should be fairly easy to convert to MM5, we can ad dit to our to do list if there is enough demand and Author do not want to update it.
Best regards,
Peke
IanRTaylorUK

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Recently changed to just running the "Debug" normal versions of MMW4 and MMW5. I no longer bother with the "standard" (non-debug) versions.

However, I have a copy of the MP3 files on my D: drive for MMW4 and E: drive for MMW5 (using Foldermatch or Beyond Compare).

So, I typically add music to the MMW4 drive and run things like Auto-Organise, Lyricator / Tagging Inconsistencies / BPM Analyser and create Playlists.

Then when I am happy, I "Foldermatch" my D: drive to the E: and rescan using MMW5.

Since I synchronise ~15k music files to several devices, I prefer to use the faster of the two versions. This is currently MMW4.

Since version 2433 I have found switching from synching devices using MMW4 to MMW5 and back to MMW4 seems to work well.

The only little niggle is that I have a few steps to export the new Playlists from MMW4 for import into MMW5 in order to keep both version "identical".
Ian Taylor
sallenmd87

Post by sallenmd87 »

Peke wrote: โ†‘Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:20 pm Hi,

Both Installations will be separate and changes to one will not propagate to other.

You can disable Tag changes in tools -> Options -> Library -> Tags & Playlists, so any change will be in library only.

As for simple append it is 12 year old script, I have not used it and beside you I have not seen any other user publicly state it is essential during MM5 development. Quick look in script it should be fairly easy to convert to MM5, we can ad dit to our to do list if there is enough demand and Author do not want to update it.
Thank you. Very helpful. I recognize that RegExp is a third-party. I simply cannot use MM without it, so I hope the developer does update it. In the interim, perhaps I could use MM4 to edit tags and MM5 for everything else. As for Simple Append, I use it for the very specific purpose of adding composer names to the beginning of track names for classical music where there may be a bunch of tracks for a single work of a single composer and different titles for each track, but I want each to begin with something like "Beethoven:". I could continue to do that in MM4 as well.
Peke

Post by Peke »

sallenmd87 wrote: โ†‘Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:41 pm
Peke wrote: โ†‘Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:20 pm Hi,

Thank you. Very helpful. I recognize that RegExp is a third-party. I simply cannot use MM without it, so I hope the developer does update it. In the interim, perhaps I could use MM4 to edit tags and MM5 for everything else. As for Simple Append, I use it for the very specific purpose of adding composer names to the beginning of track names for classical music where there may be a bunch of tracks for a single work of a single composer and different titles for each track, but I want each to begin with something like "Beethoven:". I could continue to do that in MM4 as well.
Experiment, that is why we decided to make MM4 and MM5 versions work alongside as two separate installations.
Best regards,
Peke