[Showroom] - That's -MY- MediaMonkey

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

Andre_H

[Showroom] - That's -MY- MediaMonkey

Post by Andre_H »

Hi folks.

Some time ago I had the idea for this thread here, let's see if it resonates:

I think all the threads with questions, complaints, bug reports, etc. are very important, but I would also like to create a kind of counterpart to it, where people can show why they use and like Mediamonkey (no matter which version), what they do with the program and in what way.

So I thought of a kind of "showroom" where everyone can present their MediaMonkey and show the things that they find particularly cool or funny, also as inspiration for others (well, yes, I'm really curious to see how others work with Mediamonkey)

Let's spread a little positive vibes ... ;-)

Q: What Version and on what system/storage?
A:

Q: How many tracks & playlists?
A:

Q: How are your playlists structured? Screenshots?
A:

Q: What Design do you use and why?
A:

Q: What must-have Addons do you run and why?
A:

Q: What are the most important MediaMonkey features for you?
A:

Q: What devices and peripherals do you run?
A:

Q: What is the most common way you use MediaMonkey (currently)?
A:

Q: Whats the most unusual / smartest / exciting thing about your MediaMonkey? Screenshots?
A:

Q: Which features would you like to see in MMW?
A:

Feel free to add more questions if there is anything you would like to know yourself.
- MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 2016 # only essential addons # my 24/7 media server
- MMW MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 10 # playing, testing skins & addons # my desktop app
- MMA Pro (2.0.0.1063) on Android 10, 11, 12 Phones & Tabs # WiFi Sync # playing

- MP3Tag, MP3Diags, MP3DirectCut, IrfanView
Andre_H

Re: [Showroom] - That's -MY- MediaMonkey

Post by Andre_H »

and there we go:

Q: What version and on what system/storage?
A: 5.01.2420 on a virtual Windows 2016. Different partitions for music, movies, etc. (i have my movies in MediaMonkey, but rarely play them from there.)

A: ~11.000 Tracks, mostly MP3, somewhat M4A. I try to avoid Best of's, Compilations, etc., whenever possible, I mostly collect full albums.
A: a lot playlists (don't know a easy way to count them), possibly ~100

A: In addition to a whole series of (auto) lists, which are more used for data maintenance, I have a tree structure that starts by genre, decade, or mixed, and building on each other hierarchically, these lists are refined by years, genre, etc. with every "level". So: [Best of Genre] => [Pop International] ==> [Pop Int. 80s], [Pop Int. 90s], ... In addition, a couple of fixed playlists for special albums and a [Best of Artists] tree. Then a few "to do" lists, where ratings have to be (re)done and such kind of things.

Q: What design do you use and why?
A: Material Design. For me personally, the choice of color and font size is the most relaxed thing to work with. I cannot use the bright colors of some other designs in the long term.

Q: What must-have addons do you run and why?
A: So far only the ones supplied with MMW5, the selection here is still quite manageable. I will use drakinite's "3D album view" as soon as it is available in different views. ;-)

A: Auto-Playlists, Sync to Android, Auto-Organisation of filenames by far. smart playlists are my killer feature, because of this I hung on iTunes for ages until I found an adequate replacement; sync to Android is a must have, Android Auto a really comfortable bonus. Auto-organizing filenames suits the "I have to structure things"-nerd in me a lot.

A: An Android Phone for mostly android auto while driving, an android tablet with bluetooth speaker at home. Plan to buy a bluetooth-compatible amplifier to get the music straight to the "good" speakers, but this still has to be approved at home. ;-)

A: When in Home Office, I control my MMW-installation via RDP (this works quite well with only a few restrictions), i run Mediamonkey to listen and rate tracks, correct tags, add or change things on playlists. On mobile, i mostly run playlists and just listening.

Q: Whats the most unusual / smartest / most exciting thing about your MediaMonkey? Screenshots?
A: little really extraordinary, I think. I have a ...
- "main playlist" that put together a large part of my collection, but filters out some "not that random-play suitable" genres, artists, live music, etc., and most of my auto-lists are based on this list, and set additional filters on that.
- smart playlist that checks if all important tags are filled, auto-organisation is triggerd on this playlist, an "not in that list"-list for checking purposes.
- small addon (actually more of a simple script), written here with the help of the forum, that writes (for me) important statistical data also into the tags instead of just into the database.

A: I'm really looking forward to MMS, as soon as it is available; would use it to run multiple instances of MMW on different devices, then possibly replace some of my Android devices with Windows devices. At least for me, direct access to a shared database instead of WLAN sync would mean another big step towards convenience.
- MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 2016 # only essential addons # my 24/7 media server
- MMW MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 10 # playing, testing skins & addons # my desktop app
- MMA Pro (2.0.0.1063) on Android 10, 11, 12 Phones & Tabs # WiFi Sync # playing

- MP3Tag, MP3Diags, MP3DirectCut, IrfanView
IanRTaylorUK

Re: [Showroom] - That's -MY- MediaMonkey

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Q: What Version and on what system/storage?
A: I use MMW4 and MMW5. MMW4 uses a "library" on the PC's D: drive that is backed up to OneDrive. MMW5 uses a "clone" of the MMW4 "library" on my E: drive. The PC is a few years old. My library is primarily MP3 music but I also have a few Podcasts and AudioBooks. I try to run the latest versions of MMW4 / MMW5 and MMA, never much more than a few days behind. I install "Normal / Standard" and "Normal / Debug" for both MMW4 and MMW5

A: Currently 33822 files in the library with just under 1000 Playlists. I use Playlists as the basis from synchronisation with my devices - a phone and 3 tablets (all Android)

A: Most of my playlists are a single Artist / Album and are sorted by Disc / Track number. Not yet using Auto Playlists

Q: What Design do you use and why?
A: I use the CleanMM skin for MMW4 and CodeMonkey for MMW5. A balance of readability and getting maximum information on screen.

Q: What must-have Addons do you run and why?
A: Batch M3U Creator and Export / Import Playlists to save my Playlists and move then from MMW4 to MMW5
Lyricator to add lyrics
Magic Nodes to improve tagging
Randomise Playlist to juggle the few non-album / artist playlist e.g. All Four Star rated, All MP3s added in June2021
RegExp Find and Replace editing to get this consistent e.g. track numbers, disc number
Tagging Inconsistencies as name suggests e.g. currently checking album art
Foobar with BPM "addin"

A: Auto-Tag, CD Burning, Synchronisation of Devices

A: Android Devices alongside bluetooth headphones / speakers. Garmin Sat Nav with bluetooth link to helmet intercom.

A: Burn or Download new music, tag, auto-organise, add lyrics, create playlist then sync and listen

Q: Whats the most unusual / smartest / exciting thing about your MediaMonkey? Screenshots?
A: User defined collections, power demonstrated by add-ons like Magic Nodes / Tagging Inconsistencies / Reg Exp

A: Either a decent user manual or a "You-Tube" channel showing how best to use and explaining feature use cases.
A Zoom / Teams style training session run at regular intervals for new (install?), developing (tagging 101) and expert users (scripting / skins / SQL).
Support continued for MMW4 until such time ALL its features can be handled in MMW5 e.g. CD Burning, Auto-Tag, Web and key add-ins / extensions upgraded to MMW5
An annual user survey asking key questions to "guide" future developments and avoid key features being missed.
Greater compliance with "Windows" conventions e.g. key board short cuts

Q: How have you got better performance from MMW / MMA? And what plans have you got
Switch operating system to SSD
Minimised / simplified artwork associated with tracks / albums
Decent quality Micro SD cards in devices!
Turn OFF onedrive during intensive editing / changes

Plan to move library to SSD in near future.
Ian Taylor