[REQ] Show & Change Database Location [#16176]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Roxie2401

[REQ] Show & Change Database Location [#16176]

Post by Roxie2401 »

Being new to MediaMonkey and having worked with version 5 for a couple of weeks I have a suggestion.

I would like to see the ability to show the location of the database and change it. Just a personal preference, but I keep all my various databases on a separate partition with its own backup schedule so they are all done together (and for various administrative reasons, not on the C Drive where Windows constantly makes changes and ? updates). I do know that we currently can specify a backup schedule - but if selecting "Daily, Weekly, etc. I don't think we know what day or what time it runs or completes, except by checking the backup file name later, once you know the location of the file.

Currently, you really need to "poke under the hood" to find the MM database location in a usually hidden folder with the path specified in the MediaMonkey.ini file. Or (which is how I found mine), run a backup now and the path location is displayed. But then you have to edit the DBName entry if you want the database in a different location.

My suggestion would be to show the "Path" (Database Location) in Tools/Options/OS Integration. That screen already exists and is used for various items, including associating file types, etc. Or, maybe it could be added to the existing File/Manage Database screen since its directly related to database.

This would be similar to where the User can add locations for media in the File/Add Rescan files to the Library function except for the database and its backups.

When I first started testing MM5, I wanted to know where the database would be located and found no user specified "Preferences" which prompted this "Feature Request."

Sorry for making this so long --- if what I'm suggesting or has been discussed before, my apologies. Thanks.
Lowlander

Re: [REQ] Show & Change Database Location

Post by Lowlander »

Roxie2401

Post by Roxie2401 »

Thanks for the article.

I was just trying to make it more "user friendly," similar to what iTunes does when keeping the Library in the iTunes folder.

The username/AppData folder is typically hidden for a reason and a user can really make a mess when editing an ini file.

Just letting the MM user interface do behind the scenes work I thought would be a benefit to many users and fit nicely under the Database Management functions. It would be especially nice to let the program do the work to update the ini file since the location changes based on the OS and may not always be the same going forward, depending on what Microsoft does with the next Windows.

Sincerely appreciated your prompt response. Maybe this is something that can be considered in the future.

Thanks
Roxie2401

Post by Roxie2401 »

Hi - I don't want to go off-topic and still hope my suggestion could be considered in the future - but have a question about the article you linked.

Is there a really good, updated article that describes "portable" vs not "portable?" I see a lot of forum posts and issues with this subject.

Basic question, if all I want to do is put the media on an external drive, do I do a regular install and not portable? And when I scan the media to add new to the MM database (say on my laptop), then just copy the database to my desktop to keep it in sync?

Maybe not that simple and I'd like to know more about "portable."

I remember on the install where it mentions tighter integration with the OS in non-portable.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Portable means it doesn't integrate with Windows and can be moved from PC to PC. This means that settings and database are all contained within the portable install folder. You'll loose the MediaMonkey Service and MicroPlayer (on Windows Taskbar). MediaMonkey won't associate with file types, but you can still do this within Windows (File Explorer).

If you're installing on external drive you may want to consider a portable install for flexibility. I've been running portable installs for years.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Roxie2401 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 4:11 pm I would like to see the ability to show the location of the database and change it.
I agree your request, and would like to see it extended to be a Settings & Data import wizard for MM5.

Something like;
  • Where do I want to create|copy|move the database
  • Do I want to import for another MM database, and a browser to find and select it
  • Do I want to import settings from another version of MM, with a browser so I can select them
  • A confirmation preview of the settings that I am about to import, so that I can review and reset any if necessary
Roxie2401 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 4:11 pmI do know that we currently can specify a backup schedule - but if selecting "Daily, Weekly, etc. I don't think we know what day or what time it runs or completes, except by checking the backup file name later, once you know the location of the file.
Is good that MM5 now has a built-in database backup mechanism, but it needs to be extended to allow specification of the backup location. Putting the backup copy on the same physical disc does not protect against disk failure. It would be good if we could configure an alternate location, for use in situations where one is available.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Yes, these feature requests are being considered as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=16176