ripping cd, shows previous rip

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

astro46

ripping cd, shows previous rip

Post by astro46 »

Wanting to rip a cd, it mm keeps showing name and tracks from a cd I ripped a couple of days ago.
mm has been closed between times, computer has rebooted.
How to fix this?
Peke

Re: ripping cd, shows previous rip

Post by Peke »

Delete cdplayer.ini
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
astro46

Post by astro46 »

want to give a clue about where to find that file?. not seeing it in program files x86/mediamonkey5 or in programdata/mediamonkey/local, or user/appdata/roaming/mediamonkey5 or local
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
For me it is in "%APPDATA%\MediaMonkey5\" and it contain all CD info that I inserted while MM was started.

Also do Windows Explorer show same info when you insert CD?

Screenshot would help also.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
astro46

Post by astro46 »

as mentioned above, not finding cdplayer.ini at your location.

mm still shows a previous rip as contents to rip now, not the cd in drive

file explorer indicates files ready to be written to the disc.

at the same time windows media player and musicbee are ripping normally.

I don't what pics you want. of what?
astro46

Post by astro46 »

after writing the post above, i tried telling mm to go ahead and rip a cd for which it was clearly confused. as soon as it started, i realized that it might ruin the cd i had in the drive so, removed the cd, which got an error message from mm. good for that.

I then asked it to rip again, and this time it saw the cd, and listed the correct number of tracks. otoh, all were listed as unknown, unknown. no info read from a commercial cd. not the first time i have seen this ripping with mm.

i tried musicbee, it correctly read the cd, name, track titles, etc.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Did you paste %APPDATA%\MediaMonkey5\ into File Explorer? Do you have a Portable Install (it won't work for that)?

Have you tried a search for cdplayer.ini in File Explorer for the whole PC? The suggestion to remove it worked for me.
astro46

Post by astro46 »

searched whole computer hd and virtual drive c: for cdplayer.ini. nothing found.

btw: not a portable install
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi,
this is indeed strange that it shows the name and tracks from the previous CD.
I am unable to replicate, but capturing this in debug log (item 4b: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643 ) and attaching the log to eSupport ticket should show us a clue why this is happening in your environment.
astro46

Post by astro46 »

may help to include the info that i reported earlier, about telling mm to go ahead and rip with the incorrect info, then removing cd (that wasn't the plan, but sudden realization hat i may be causing unplanned damage to cd recording. it was not a commercial recording). after the error message, and asking to rip again, the 'previous' cd info was gone. However, mm seems to not find data, showing all info as 'unknown'. other ripping apps find the data. This 'unknown' issue has happened the few times i have tried using mm to rip.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Different applications use different lookup databases. MediaMonkey uses MusicBrainz and from time to time they don't have the Album or the specific pressing of the Album. In that case, unfortunately manual entry will be required.

Note, that I've only come across some rare Albums and very few really new Albums missing from MusicBrainz.
mikesoers

Post by mikesoers »

Thanks for helping solve this case.
astro46

Post by astro46 »

Lowlander wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:43 am Different applications use different lookup databases. MediaMonkey uses MusicBrainz and from time to time they don't have the Album or the specific pressing of the Album. In that case, unfortunately manual entry will be required.

I don't think this is the problem. I've been using musicbee to rip. it finds album name and track names. MM and Mb both seem to use musicbrainz.

i'll just continue to use mb for ripping.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

In that case please capture the CD Lookup in a debug log (step 4b) and attach the log to a Support Ticket: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643

Also note the Album and the Album Artist and this will help a developer analyze why this fails in your setup.