2506 - Manage Views; making View based upon List By Album is broken [#18374]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Barry4679

2506 - Manage Views; making View based upon List By Album is broken [#18374]

Post by Barry4679 »

Manage Views is broken for List by Album View.
If you make a view based upon List By Album View, the created view does contains neither Artwork nor Summary columns.
List By Album view is virtually meaningless without at least one of these two columns.

Unable to add the missing columns using the Manage Views facility, but can add them via the Choose Columns facility as a workaround

tracked as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=18353
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Not_tech_savy

Re: 2506 - Manage Views; making View based upon List By Album is broken

Post by Not_tech_savy »

Just installed 2506 and wanted to add to this post. Trying to create a custom list view for playlists, freezes MM and (not tech savvy) uses 30% of my cpu and turns the fans on? Idk laptop gets loud. Have to end task to stop it.
Auto playlist settings can be edited just fine(( Auto also now has # column but it seems to be following my sort order)). It's regular that's giving me problems. Just want playlists sorted by artist, album, and track#

Update: Until yesterday didn't have any problems was using 1.2433 but late last night something happened to playlists. In the sort bar it added a # column and when I tried to edit the playlist it only gives me the option of editing in the right panel, but I can only change songs not settings. Never had that happen before. I've tried edit, manage views/ custom list, right click the column and hide #. anytime I switch to a different playlist and come back it resets my sort order and adds the # column as default. So I've uninstalled and reinstalled both 2506 and 1.2433 (1 at a time). 2506 freezes if I right click playlist and while 1.2433 doesn't freeze it also doesn't save any changes. Also I noticed whichever version of MM is installed the check for updates thing always say I have the current version installed. The previous beta 1.2433 was working great till last night. I don't know why the playlist section is all buggy now.
(Also when I've had to end task to exit media monkey it has a (3) next to it. does that mean there's 3 instances of mediamonkey running?)
MMW5 - 2690 beta Gold
MMA2 - 1073 beta Pro
Phone - S23 Ultra - liked the S21 Ultra more
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Not_tech_savy wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:58 am (Also when I've had to end task to exit media monkey it has a (3) next to it. does that mean there's 3 instances of mediamonkey running?)
No not three instances. Is one instance with a couple of background tasks.

I can replicate your problem. The issue is being tracked as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=18374
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Not_tech_savy wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:58 am. Just want playlists sorted by artist, album, and track
Thanks for reporting BTW

In the meantime you can sort the playlist by clicking the heading of the Artist column, and then Ctrl&clicking the Album, then Track# column headings.
Not_tech_savy

Post by Not_tech_savy »

Barry4679 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:35 am
Thanks for reporting BTW

In the meantime you can sort the playlist by clicking the heading of the Artist column, and then Ctrl&clicking the Album, then Track# column headings.
Thanks for the info, Ctrl click will save time. I reset laptop, cleared data for a completely fresh install. It stopped freezing on right click and using a lot of CPU. Now sometimes it will save my various view settings sometimes I come back and they've reset to default (I've noticed sync settings keep resetting as well, how about yours?) Clean install makes it useable again If that helps.
MMW5 - 2690 beta Gold
MMA2 - 1073 beta Pro
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Not_tech_savy wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:15 pm Thanks for the info, Ctrl click will save time. I reset laptop, cleared data for a completely fresh install. It stopped freezing on right click and using a lot of CPU. Now sometimes it will save my various view settings sometimes I come back and they've reset to default (I've noticed sync settings keep resetting as well, how about yours?) Clean install makes it useable again If that helps.
Is good that you have got a workaround while they attend to this issue.

I don't want to make the issue go away here. There was nothing unusual about my install. You have found a relatively serious bug, and want to keep it happening just in case they need more information.

I can trigger the issue without right click. It happens if I make the same custom View that you did, and then try to change back to one of the standard shipped Views.

BTW you don't demonstrate any lack of tech savy :)
Not_tech_savy

Re: 2506 - Manage Views; making View based upon List By Album is broken [#18374]

Post by Not_tech_savy »

Thanks, I have a good grasp of the basics. But most of the tech terms go over my head, am a good 10 years behind on technology. Just upgraded my 2012 laptop and my 160gb classic ipod to a 2021 laptop and a s21 ultra (mainly cause parts are no longer available for ipod). (Also I'm only 29 and am getting sick of the grandpa jokes, like no one else has 300gb external hard drive that's the size of a brick and has a separate power cable that plugs into the wall.)
Having a hard time finding information specific to mediamonkey though, so I change a few settings hoping the context clues make it do what I think it should. If not I toggle them until I figure out what I'm changing hoping I'm not permanently affecting my library each time.
Learned a valuable lesson about keeping your back up on a separate drive and not updating it till you know what the settings you've changed are doing.
MMW5 - 2690 beta Gold
MMA2 - 1073 beta Pro