Some Suggestions, BUGS, and Questions...

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

leeuniverse

Some Suggestions, BUGS, and Questions...

Post by leeuniverse »

1. Is there a way to make the Album Artwork "Images" in the TRACK Listing "larger"...?
See the below image for where I'm referring to... If not, please somehow add the ability to have them large enough in which we can actually "see" what they are. They don't have to be as large as they are in the Album view, but, I would like to see what I'm looking at. It's really helpful for me to see what a song is by its image.

Windows Media Player has a similar sort of view... I would sort by Album Artist, and it was nice seeing the Artwork with the Track.

2. Please make it so BEFORE we use any of the "Auto-functions" that upon clicking it, it takes us to the "settings" for those features and we edit/change them how we want BEFORE we actually "run" those functions. This can end up being a nightmare with MediaMonkey changing various Tags etc. that we didn't actually want changed.

NOTHING should be "Auto" until we are absolutely sure what we are clicking on and doing and the consequences of such.
I've had to resist myself touching those buttons in the Right-Click Menu after some 100 hours editing all my Songs/Tags manually, and if I had/do click those buttons BEFORE I went into settings and made sure I turned off all the auto functions I would have killed all that work.

3. BUG... As the below picture shows I selected an Artist but then the "image" that shows up below as I also show is NOT an image that belongs with that Artist. So, it seems the program is grabbing the "first artwork" associated with the Album I have listed which is X-Factor Ukraine, so that picture is from a completely different song and artist.

The way it SHOULD work is whatever song is associated with the Artist the Artwork should be grabbed from there.
Anna Khokhlova has NOTHING to do with the Artwork they show in Mediamonkey. The only association she has to that other song is the same Album Name. She's not anywhere on the Tags etc. Her song has completely different Artwork.

4. BUG... When I did Auto-Tag, I have it set up to ONLY download/update Lyrics, so I did that on a bunch of Tracks I selected, and the program found the Lyrics for only like HALF of the Tracks... But what is more strange, is I manually selected MOST of those tracks, and the auto-searcher ended up "updating" the Lyrics, thus finding the Lyrics for that song.
In other words, something is wrong with the Auto-Tag Lyrics Search, it didn't find like HALF of the songs lyrics, but simply "highlighting" the file the auto-search thing auto-found the Lyrics for almost all the songs.

5. When you list by Tracks you should provide a little more "space" on the Left side between the listing and the "border"...
Of course, when I'm listing them with the Artwork as the below pic shows, it's fine, but when I don't include the Artwork the Track Name is FAR "too close" to the side border.

Thanks for the program... :)

Well, don't know how I'm supposed to post images showing things since this forum won't let me post links?

Artist listing Artwork issue...

Sizing of Artwork in Track Listing Issue...
Last edited by leeuniverse on Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lowlander

Re: Some Suggestions, BUGS, and Questions...

Post by Lowlander »

1) Use View > Main Panel View > Image Size for grid display of Artwork. For the list type you can't adjust it beyond the height of a row, if you want more space for Artwork you'll need to use the List (by xxxx) View.

3) You right click and use Lookup Image if you want to choose a different Artist image.

4) Which Build (Help > About) are you using?

5) That may depend on the Skin you use. I personally wouldn't want more spacing on Material Design (Dark).
leeuniverse

Post by leeuniverse »

Lowlander wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:32 pm 1) Use View > Main Panel View > Image Size for grid display of Artwork. For the list type you can't adjust it beyond the height of a row, if you want more space for Artwork you'll need to use the List (by xxxx) View.

3) You right click and use Lookup Image if you want to choose a different Artist image.

4) Which Build (Help > About) are you using?

5) That may depend on the Skin you use. I personally wouldn't want more spacing on Material Design (Dark).
1. So I'll have to look into this more... It has various options, though not sure yet if it's doing exactly what I want, will let you know.

2. Sure, but first I don't actually want to change the Artist Image, I'm talking about the image below that which is being pulled from ANOTHER song file/tag of mine. So, I'm asking for a "change in behavior" that's selecting that particular image.

Let me put it this way.... Anna is listed in a Track called "Russian Roulette".
When clicking on her in MM, below it's showing an image that's in ANOTHER Track called "People are Like Ships". She has NOTHING to do with that Track. In other words, MediaMonkey is pulling that image simply "assuming" an Artist would be on another Track simply because they are part of the same "Album". The program needs to be changed to pull the associated image for a particular Track from the Track itself rather than simply the first track of a particular album.

So, I'm stating the auto-functioning needs to be changed here so it's MORE "Accurate" when auto-finding images.

4. 5.0.2.2501...

5. I would have to look at it again, but I think it was the same in the two skins I've tried, the default and the one shown in the images I posted. I didn't take a picture of it, but in the Track View the Text is massively "close" to the Left border, just a bit "too much".

Thanks much...
Last edited by leeuniverse on Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

4) Please update to build 2507: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86639&sd=d
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

leeuniverse wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:20 pm 2. Please make it so BEFORE we use any of the "Auto-functions" that upon clicking it, it takes us to the "settings" for those features and we edit/change them how we want BEFORE we actually "run" those functions. This can end up being a nightmare with MediaMonkey changing various Tags etc. that we didn't actually want changed.

NOTHING should be "Auto" until we are absolutely sure what we are clicking on and doing and the consequences of such.
I've had to resist myself touching those buttons in the Right-Click Menu after some 100 hours editing all my Songs/Tags manually, and if I had/do click those buttons BEFORE I went into settings and made sure I turned off all the auto functions I would have killed all that work.
Hi leeuniverse,

which "auto" function(s) are you referring to?

The "auto" functions in the menu all have a ellipsis, which indicates that they show a option setting dialog box before performing any updates. The same thing happens if the function is invoked via hot key.

The only one that relies on Tools>Options settings seems to be Auto-Tag, and its dialog box contains access to those settings via the Option button in the bottom left corner.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

leeuniverse wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:25 pm 2. Sure, but first I don't actually want to change the Artist Image, I'm talking about the image below that which is being pulled from ANOTHER song file/tag of mine. So, I'm asking for a "change in behavior" that's selecting that particular image.

When clicking on her in MM, below it's showing an image that's in ANOTHER Track called "People are Like Ships". She has NOTHING to do with that Track. In other words, MediaMonkey is pulling that image simply "assuming" an Artist would be on another Track simply because they are part of the same "Album". The program needs to be changed to pull the associated image for a particular Track from the Track itself rather than simply the first track of a particular album.

So, I'm stating the auto-functioning needs to be changed here so it's MORE "Accurate" when auto-finding images.
AFAIK artist images are obtained from community maintained databases like Discogs and MusicBrainz.

I looked in both, and Anna Khokhlova is listed in neither. So maybe MM5 falls back to album level art.

I am not sure how to this, but I think that you can enrol into those communities and load her up if you want to.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Not_tech_savy

Post by Not_tech_savy »

I'm on 2506 using code monkey skin, just hold click artwork column and slide to the right. I noticed it'll show wrong artwork at times just scroll down enough that it refreshes once or twice and then back up it usually sorts itself out.
Or say you ripped some songs from the bleach anime and the image it grabs is the cleaner. Right click it and look up image (artist and the subfolders are separate images) and type variations of what you want. Till you find that sick vasto lorde image (Not all displayed images will download)

What did you do to set it to only update lyrics and such? When I clicked on a song and lyrics showed up I was like is this what living in the future is like!

Any new program or update you gotta check out all the settings before you begin. If you had to click yes I want to do this and stop showing this message every time you tried to change something, would you keep using that program?
Half the fun is changing settings and trying to figure out, did I corrupt my library or did I find a bug?
MMW5 - 2690 beta Gold
MMA2 - 1073 beta Pro
Phone - S23 Ultra - liked the S21 Ultra more
leeuniverse

Post by leeuniverse »

Barry4679 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:26 pm
leeuniverse wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:25 pm 2. Sure, but first I don't actually want to change the Artist Image, I'm talking about the image below that which is being pulled from ANOTHER song file/tag of mine. So, I'm asking for a "change in behavior" that's selecting that particular image.

AFAIK artist images are obtained from community maintained databases like Discogs and MusicBrainz.

I looked in both, and Anna Khokhlova is listed in neither. So maybe MM5 falls back to album level art.

I am not sure how to this, but I think that you can enrol into those communities and load her up if you want to.
Well, if you look in the Picture I posted above, her Image was "pulled" from somewhere.... I've also checked both files with both Mp3tag and Picard and her image isn't there. Further, I created her song myself from a YouTube Video download, editing it etc. So, they must be doing something you don't know about, cause you can see a pic of her right there, and it's also NOT the pic I've included in the file. And there are no "hidden" files either in the folder.

As to the picture that shows below, again per my image above, that file is the actual Album Art image I included in the OTHER song. Again, the ONLY similarity between these two files are they were both downloaded from YouTube, edited by me manually, included images manually, and the Album Title is the same for both.
leeuniverse

Post by leeuniverse »

Not_tech_savy wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:11 pm I'm on 2506 using code monkey skin, just hold click artwork column and slide to the right. I noticed it'll show wrong artwork at times just scroll down enough that it refreshes once or twice and then back up it usually sorts itself out.
Or say you ripped some songs from the bleach anime and the image it grabs is the cleaner. Right click it and look up image (artist and the subfolders are separate images) and type variations of what you want. Till you find that sick vasto lorde image (Not all displayed images will download)

What did you do to set it to only update lyrics and such? When I clicked on a song and lyrics showed up I was like is this what living in the future is like!

Any new program or update you gotta check out all the settings before you begin. If you had to click yes I want to do this and stop showing this message every time you tried to change something, would you keep using that program?
Half the fun is changing settings and trying to figure out, did I corrupt my library or did I find a bug?
1. I'm in the Artist section, there is no "column" to move. So, different issue.

2. In Options... under Library then Metadata lookup.... You select there what Tags you want to be touched when you Right-Click and use Auto-Tag.

3. Yep, did so.... Though, showing "larger" Artwork in the Track section wasn't intuitive at all. Further, I still don't know if I can get it to work like I want, still need to study it. Right now, I'm only showing big images for Album "groups".
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Not_tech_savy wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:11 pm What did you do to set it to only update lyrics and such?
  • Select some tracks, and then press Ctrl+L (or AutoTag from the context menu).
  • It opens a Dialog Box
  • press the Options button at the bottom left
  • in the Auto-tag section you can set what is to be looked up from the Internet
  • also see the Update Tags options at the top, alongside Artwork

Not_tech_savy wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:11 pm When I clicked on a song and lyrics showed up I was like is this what living in the future is like!
:D
Not_tech_savy

Post by Not_tech_savy »

leeuniverse wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:56 pm
1. I'm in the Artist section, there is no "column" to move. So, different issue.

2. In Options... under Library then Metadata lookup.... You select there what Tags you want to be touched when you Right-Click and use Auto-Tag.

3. Yep, did so.... Though, showing "larger" Artwork in the Track section wasn't intuitive at all. Further, I still don't know if I can get it to work like I want, still need to study it. Right now, I'm only showing big images for Album "groups".
1. My bad your second picture said track listing. Idk how to adjust the other view

2. (Barry you're very informative, I do appreciate it 👍) so lee to be clear, you went into Metadata checked the boxes for update lyrics and then near the middle bottom you deleted the other suggested tags to search for bar, with stuff like < genre > and saved it?
MMW5 - 2690 beta Gold
MMA2 - 1073 beta Pro
Phone - S23 Ultra - liked the S21 Ultra more
leeuniverse

Post by leeuniverse »

Not_tech_savy wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:28 pm
leeuniverse wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:56 pm

1. My bad your second picture said track listing. Idk how to adjust the other view

2. (Barry you're very informative, I do appreciate it 👍) so lee to be clear, you went into Metadata checked the boxes for update lyrics and then near the middle bottom you deleted the other suggested tags to search for bar, with stuff like < genre > and saved it?
Yep... Turns out I'm just crap out of luck. I don't get what that Metadata section is even for if it's not for "selecting" what you want and don't want. But, according to the Devs MM doesn't have the ability to ONLY edit the Tags you want automatically.

While I did have a backup of my music files, part of it DID get overwritten still with the "double-dates", because I do a daily backup, in which I can't get an answer on if it's supposed to do that. I also can't get an answer on what that Auto-Tagging/MetaData section even does if not to "select" what Tags you want, makes no sense.

Anyway, my life is ****... :(
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The setting controls what is looked up online. So, if you have only Lyrics enabled, only Lyrics will be retrieved online (except the bug as describe above).

However when MediaMonkey tags a file, it will save all tags from the database to the file. You can disable tag updates to files (disable Update tags when editing properties), but can't choose what is saved to the file (except the Date setting): https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... g_Settings
leeuniverse

Post by leeuniverse »

Lowlander wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:20 pm The setting controls what is looked up online. So, if you have only Lyrics enabled, only Lyrics will be retrieved online (except the bug as describe above).

However when MediaMonkey tags a file, it will save all tags from the database to the file. You can disable tag updates to files (disable Update tags when editing properties), but can't choose what is saved to the file (except the Date setting): https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... g_Settings
See, that doesn't even make sense...

What is the point of "retrieving" what you want, yet ALL Tags will end up being edited/changed when you try to save/update the wanted Tag/s?
It makes no sense. I'm sure there's "some" sort of nuanced need for that, but what's actually needed we don't have, aka choosing what we want to edit.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

For most users the database values and the files tags should match. Generally the database values reflect the tags in the files (as they were scanned when added) thus this rewrite doesn't change anything, but the updated tag(s). Rewrites do adhere to MediaMonkey's implementation of tags, which should work in most cases with most software. Also some file types require a rewrite of tags.

What MediaMonkey reads/writes is described here: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... erties/5.0