BUGS... Non-Lyric Tags changed when Auto-Updating Lyrics...

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

leeuniverse

BUGS... Non-Lyric Tags changed when Auto-Updating Lyrics...

Post by leeuniverse »

I just ripped a CD using MM, updated all my Tags with MusicBrainz Picard and Mp3tag, then used MM Auto-Tagging function to look for Lyrics, and I don't have anything other than Lyrics selected, and MM:
- Removed Tags
- Changed Tags
- Put TWO DATES in the date Tag with "slashes" (\\) between them, i.e. "1991\\1991".

BTW, Picard and Mp3tag are all set for 2.3 tags, so don't know if that caused MM to become dumb, to then not respect my Tag Settings to ONLY update missing lyrics, to not touch anything else? I had been using 2.3 for compatibility, but I see MM uses 2.4. I know from experience that when I was editing files with Mp3tag that it would mess up tags when saving between 2.3 and 2.4?

Screenshots show each of the issues I just mentioned.
- Using 5.0.2.2501

Here you see some files Album Artist was changed to "Various Artists" and the "Genre" was removed....

Here you see in Mp3tag the same files have "double" Dates...

Here you see the TON of Tag info that was removed, all that "green" WAS in the file until MM's Auto-Tag got a hold of it....

BTW... to be CLEAR.... In all the "Options" areas ONLY LYRICS are selected to be allowed to be changed.
Nothing else is supposed to be changed (that I understand anyway), it's ALL unchecked.
Last edited by leeuniverse on Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:09 am, edited 5 times in total.
leeuniverse

Re: BUGS... Non-Lyric Tags changed when Auto-Updating Lyrics...

Post by leeuniverse »

Okay, so I've figured out that the \\'s are simply how Mp3tag displays the normal separator ";".

But, still don't know how I'm going to fix the "double-dates", as well why some of my tags were changed/deleted, so those are likely still bugs. The double-dates for example look like MM simply added whatever date info exists for the file to the tag "appending" it, rather than replacing it. Of course, it wasn't supposed to touch ANY tag period other than what I selected.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Date is covered here: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... year-date/

Anytime you tag any tag MediaMonkey writes all tags as in the database. This is why Date is tagged when tagging Lyrics.

You can choose ID3v2.3 as tagging standard for MP3 under Tools > Options > Tags & Playlists
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Lowlander wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:32 am Anytime you tag any tag MediaMonkey writes all tags as in the database. This is why Date is tagged when tagging Lyrics.
He said that he de-selected all tags using AutoTagging>Metadata>Audio, other than Lyrics .. I think.
And then he is said that AutoTag altered his Date tags.

You misunderstood? ... or maybe I did?

If I understood him correctly, surely this is a bug?
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
leeuniverse

Post by leeuniverse »

Lowlander wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:32 am Date is covered here: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... year-date/

Anytime you tag any tag MediaMonkey writes all tags as in the database. This is why Date is tagged when tagging Lyrics.

You can choose ID3v2.3 as tagging standard for MP3 under Tools > Options > Tags & Playlists
1. As Barry said above, I ONLY have "Lyrics" selected in options to be updated, so nothing else should be being touched right?

2. Your link is non-existent...

3. Well, I'm worried I'm stuck now... with 2.4. I'm afraid if I try to go "back" to ID3v2.3 my tags will be broken, because I think that happened when I was saving for a bit to 2.4 in MusicBrainz Picard, opening and then saving in Mp3tag which was still set for 2.3, then I would save and my tags broke... I had to go through 100's of files fixing the tags manually.

Anyway, maybe I'll do a test...

Also, as I mentioned above, how I can fix the DATE having "two" Dates...? for example it will show in Mp3tag as "2014\\2014-04-22". So clearly some bug as I mentioned above caused the date to first be touched when it shouldn't have been, and then second to actually "add" to the date rather than replacing it?
leeuniverse

Post by leeuniverse »

This is a Nightmare.... HELP....!!!!

I'm updating all the Lyrics in all my files and it's BREAKING and CHANGING many of my TAGS as well as Album Art.
- Changing Album Artist
- Changing Album Names
- Changing my Album setting, I have them all set to "Front Cover" and it's turning them into OTHER.

BTW I'm using version 5.0.2.2507... now.

This is dozens of HOURS of work being lost and I have to REDOOOO....!!! See the below images for examples.
- ACDC is changed to AC/DC
- or AC; DC
- 60s & 70s is changed to 60s.
- or the actual "Album Artist" name is put in the Tag when it's supposed to be 60s & 70s.

HELP....!!!!!

Here you see again Album info changed from 60s & 70s to just "60s", and also some files they have been removed and the actual "Album Artist" has been put in its place.

Here you see the many ways ACDC has been changed as well, the Album Tags have been completely changed (though the "; " is my doing, by running that "seperator" tag editor after running a batch of Auto-Tags which changed ACDC to AC/DC, which as I've been addressing the Auto-Tag wasn't supposed to touch.) The albums I had were also different for these particular files until Auto-Tag got hold of them.
Last edited by leeuniverse on Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:37 am, edited 11 times in total.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

I tested using version 2507.
I am unable to replicate what you are seeing, except in one limited situation.

From what I am seeing Auto-Tag obeys the limits put upon it, except in the situation where:
  1. I enter Auto-Tag for a selection of tracks
  2. I use the Options button (bottom left) to remove some tags from those which Auto-Tag may alter ... I removed Date
  3. proceed with the Auto-Tag operation ... press the Tag&Continue button
  4. ===> this operation will ignore my new settings ... ie. tags that I removed in the 2nd step are altered
  5. but if I then process a second batch of files ... this time I don't have to make the step #2 alteration ... and the auto-tag operation keeps within the limits that I have set
But that doesn't entirely what you are reporting, does it?
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
leeuniverse

Post by leeuniverse »

Barry4679 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:55 am I tested using version 2507.
I am unable to replicate what you are seeing, except in one limited situation.

From what I am seeing Auto-Tag obeys the limits put upon it, except in the situation where:
  1. I enter Auto-Tag for a selection of tracks
  2. I use the Options button (bottom left) to remove some tags from those which Auto-Tag may alter ... I removed Date
  3. proceed with the Auto-Tag operation ... press the Tag&Continue button
  4. ===> this operation will ignore my new settings ... ie. tags that I removed in the 2nd step are altered
  5. but if I then process a second batch of files ... this time I don't have to make the step #2 alteration ... and the auto-tag operation keeps within the limits that I have set
But that doesn't entirely what you are reporting, does it?
1. Yes, that's what I've done, I've "selected" Tracks, right-clicked and run Auto-Tag.

I originally set the Options directly in options, not from the Auto-Tag screen.

3. I don't get what you're saying here? Are you saying the Tag and Continue will "ignore" what you had set for Options? This "could" be what's happening to me...? I don't know "when" the Tags are being Edited? It just happens when I'm using the Auto-Tag, and I've only set Lyrics as the ONLY changeable option.

4. Ya, not getting what you're saying? Are you saying the ONLY time Tags are changed when they shouldn't be is on the "first" operation, the first 100 files?

So, what you're reporting "could" be my problem if I'm understanding you correctly?

BTW, here is an Image of my OPTIONS Settings, I believe nothing should be causing the behavior I've indicated?

Also, I would like to point out that this issue ONLY happens to "some" files. As you can see from the pics I've posted, many files aren't touched (save the date issue, ALL have that problem.)
Last edited by leeuniverse on Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

All that I can replicate is:
  1. if I start a Auto-Tag operation by firstly pressing its Options button, to change the list of tags that may be affected
  2. then just those tracks that I selected, in that batch, are not affected by the new rules that I created via the Options button
  3. the new rules appear to be respected for any subsequent Auto-Tag batches
So effectively this;
leeuniverse wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:23 am 4. Ya, not getting what you're saying? Are you saying the ONLY time Tags are changed when they shouldn't be is on the "first" operation, the first 100 files?

So, what you're reporting "could" be my problem if I'm understanding you correctly?
leeuniverse wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:23 amAs you can see from the pics I've posted, many files aren't touched (save the date issue, ALL have that problem.)
I can't see any of your images. You have not posted the whole url.
There are some instructions here to workaround the annoying limitations of this forum re posting of images.

I can't help you with much of this anyway. Unlike LowLander, I am not from MediaMoney. I am just a customer like you.

I wouldn't stress too much about the dates. Someone may be able to help you with those.

I would recommend working with just a small batch of files until you are sure that MM5 is working as you need it to.

I don't understand any of this stuff about v2.3 or v2.4 tags, and TBH I don't want to either. :)

The info in "help" link that LowLander posted is just so lazy and crappy, that it makes me want to throw things.

Your tags have been altered by multiple tools ... you mentioned Picard and MP3Tag and now MM5 .... and you are hyper-sensitive to them.

I would wait and see what the Developers say ... just in case your tags are pickled somehow.
If you still have your MM4 database, you will still have a copy of your original tags. ie. they are in the database, and they can be sync'd to your tracks.
Also MM5 has facility to backup your database. See File>ManageDataBase to see if it is turned on.

From what I can see Auto-Tag is behaving itself with my tags, outside of the one issue I described above.

This issue is being tracked here.
leeuniverse

Post by leeuniverse »

Thanks for the attempted help and posting the Tracking issue so this can be addressed...

I've fixed all the image tags, I can post URLS now, when before I couldn't cause I was a newbie so you can now SEE what's been happening.

BTW, as I mentioned above, I never used the "options button" in Auto-Tag, I had originally set all my options, like shown above, before I even tried Auto-Tag. Of course, it doesn't matter, the button just takes you to the options page. Anyway...

Well, one good thing after all this is most of my music will now all have lyrics lol...
I'm just going to have to go back and edit most files again, fixing the issues I mentioned above. :(

Though, again I do still need help figgering how to get rid of the "double dates" as I show above. BTW, I saw this shows in both Mp3tag and MM.

Thanks again.... Waiting for MM Dev's.... LOL
AlanH

Post by AlanH »

When i use MM5 to autotag it often fails to respect my choices of which fields to tag. I just use it for Artist, title and Genre and it often wants to tag other fields. The most frustrating thing is it might update the album name for just a couple of files which leaves me with incomplete albums if i dont notice. All tagging is used via audio fingerprint.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

AlanH wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:21 am When i use MM5 to autotag it often fails to respect my choices of which fields to tag. I just use it for Artist, title and Genre and it often wants to tag other fields. The most frustrating thing is it might update the album name for just a couple of files which leaves me with incomplete albums if i dont notice. All tagging is used via audio fingerprint.
I have only used Auto-Tag in small test runs. I have never seen that.
It is surprising that MM5 has got this far with such a serious bug.
Is there any pattern to when you have noticed unexpected update suggestions.

I have just noticed that the columns displayed by the Auto-Tag Dialog Box is dictated by which columns have been selected as being updatable. .. And if I remove a column from that display, that tag is not updated regardless of whether it should be.

So it is easy to guess the cause of the bug that I noticed, ie. they are not adjusting the columns if I make changes in the "Options" facility.

But in the situation that you mention, with unexpected album tag changes, there should be no album column, so I wonder how you would ever "notice".?
AlanH wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:21 am All tagging is used via audio fingerprint.
Meaning you have de-checked the "Prefer faster metadata lookup" option?
That only does something if the track has not songtitle doesn't it?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Currently you Can't Select which values you will not tag, but if you click on Changed value you can select Old Value to respect your tags.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Peke wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:24 am Currently you Can't Select which values you will not tag, but if you click on Changed value you can select Old Value to respect your tags.
What is this for then?
If I tell MM Auto-tag not to lookup a tag, how can it it update it?

Also I ran a (small) test. It seems to do what it says on the tin.
leeuniverse

Post by leeuniverse »

Peke wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:24 am Hi,
Currently you Can't Select which values you will not tag, but if you click on Changed value you can select Old Value to respect your tags.
Huh...? Are you talking to me/us? If so, that doesn't make sense?

Under Options/Library/Metadata lookup/Auto Tagging Metadata Audio/Select/ you can literally "select" what Tags you want to lookup. Also in that area at the bottom you have a "Replace existing Information if confidence is >".
So, the first one at least seems to clearly indicate that you CAN "select" what values to tag or not.

Also, what do you mean "click on Changed value"? Where is that?

So, are you actually saying everything I'm reporting is NOT a "bug"... it's simply inadequate functioning? After all these years you STILL don't give people "control" over what tags are updated or replaced?
I mean, seriously...? Do you understand the MASSIVE DAMAGE you've done to me?

I'm going to have to spend ANOTHER 100+ hours fixing my files because your program BROKE most of their Tags!

Further, it turns out what I mentioned above about "some" files not being touched, turns out that's NOT the case. The Auto-Tag just continues processing.... I'm on my 5,400th file even though I only have 3,500 music files. Meaning, in the FIRST run-through of the files, it did not actually "find" the lyrics for many files, so that's why many of my files hadn't been changed yet. It simply wasn't done changing them. MANY MORE are going to be changed cause it's finding the lyrics as it continues to process the files again.

This is massively terrible... I cannot believe you've done this to me that this hasn't been fixed LONG before now?