5.02.2511 Disc Number Not saved to File Attributes?

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Bruce_R

5.02.2511 Disc Number Not saved to File Attributes?

Post by Bruce_R »

Guys, I'm new to MM and just trying to get a grasp on best practices on managing my library of ripped music, auto-converting FLAC files to my new iPhone, and I'm ripping a few CDs to m4a (ALAC) format.

Regarding possible bug or feature request, when ripping (for the first time in MM), I took a 3 disc set, Grateful Dead Red Rocks 7/8/78 (Rhino Records) and I looked up the tracks by right-clicking on the drive letter of the DVD player on my PC, and of course, each disc has a track 1, track 2, track 3, etc. When I ripped the files, I guess the disc number didn't get recorded into the files' properties. I manually edited the properties in MM, sorted by track, then by disc, and used the auto-increment track #s contextual menu item. This updated the displayed info in MM, as well as the files' properties in Windows (Windows 10's # column) so the # column appear as 1-22. I noticed, however that the disc # value that I manually assigned to the files only appears in MM, not in Windows 10 (Disc # field in Windows). Is this not stored in the file properties on the hard drive like the track #?

Also, the auto-increment updated the Windows file attribute, but the file names on the hard drive remained with multiple 1's, 2's, etc. I guess the auto-increment track #'s doesn't edit the track number in the filename, only in the track # property. I have a lot of live material that I need to manage, and am trying to get this right the first time. If on 3 disc sets, the tracks would automatically increment across the entire album, instead of by disc, that would likely be ideal, but if not, having the disc # inserted would help a lot, so at least I can change the track numbers to my liking. Not sure what the easiest approach is to this.

I think if there was a series of straightforward set of best practices for getting organized, I would find that very helpful. I found some YouTube videos on MM, but they show an old version and the interface appears to have changed a lot since then. Thanks for your help. I was not planning on being a beta tester, but I have an iPhone 13 (iOS 15), and the "released" version of MM doesn't support my phone, so I had to move up to the beta.
Lowlander

Re: 5.02.2511 Disc Number Not saved to File Attributes?

Post by Lowlander »

Checked, and MediaMonkey does save Disc# for M4A files, it seems Windows has a problem reading it.

If you want filenames changed when you edit tags you can setup Auto-Organize: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... nd_Process
Bruce_R

Post by Bruce_R »

Guys, I apologize. I selected ALAC and it saved as MP4, not M4A. Now I'm ripping the same CD again to m4a/ALAC and I enter the filename as follows, but the preview shows artist at the end of the filename.

I'll go ahead and rip and report on the disc # issue previously reported now that it will be in the correct format, as well as whether the artist name appears in the filename, as indicated in the preview.

EDIT:
Okay, I posted the image on my website and tried to link to it here. I guess we just can't post links to external images?

I read in the FAQ on the MM website:

Can I post images?
Yes, images can be shown in your posts. If the administrator has allowed attachments, you may be able to upload the image to the board. Otherwise, you must link to an image stored on a publicly accessible web server, e.g. http :// www. example .com/my-picture.gif. You cannot link to pictures stored on your own PC (unless it is a publicly accessible server) nor images stored behind authentication mechanisms, e.g. hotmail or yahoo mailboxes, password protected sites, etc. To display the image use the BBCode [img] tag.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You quoted and bolded exactly how to accomplish adding an image. New users can't post links (as spam prevention), and thus need to add spaces in the URL. A moderator will than fix it.
Bruce_R

Post by Bruce_R »

https://image.jimcdn.com/app/cms/image/ ... /image.png

It would be helpful if the FAQ was updated to reflect the policy.
Last edited by Bruce_R on Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce_R

Post by Bruce_R »

The artist appears in the filename, and the disc number is not recorded in Windows. Does MM store this elsewhere?
Bruce_R

Post by Bruce_R »

So MM does not see Disc # either after ripping, and when I manually set by editing properties for the track, it is not visible in Windows, but does appear in MM. FWIW, I opened the song in Groove Music (Windows player) and when I view the track info on the manually-set track, it does show the disc number. I guess Windows truly doesn't read the attribute.

I would like MM to record the disc number. I am using the latest beta codec pack btw, and MM is gold-licensed.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Check the Title field, it likely has the Artist value in it.

MediaMonkey does save Disc#, it seems Windows doesn't read it.
Bruce_R

Post by Bruce_R »

Lowlander, as stated previously, the Disc number did not get recorded by MM. Only when I added it manually did it appear in MM, after which, on that 1 track that I edited, it did show up in another media player.

Where do I go to edit title? I'm a newb. I looked under Options>Fields, but that seems to only define optional custom fields.

Here's what the lookup of the CD metadata shows me: Image

Here's the ripped songs (I edited properties manually after rip on Track 1, which now appears at the bottom)
Not_tech_savy

Post by Not_tech_savy »

Bruce_R wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:25 pm Lowlander, as stated previously, the Disc number did not get recorded by MM. Only when I added it manually did it appear in MM, after which, on that 1 track that I edited, it did show up in another media player.

Where do I go to edit title? I'm a newb. I looked under Options>Fields, but that seems to only define optional custom fields.

Here's what the lookup of the CD metadata shows me:

Here's the ripped songs (I edited properties manually after rip on Track 1, which now appears at the bottom)
Idk about windows reading tags but if you have it all the info plugged into MM. I would just do the auto organize to include the info you want. That changes the filename and even if something isn't reading your tags you'll have all the info you need in the file name

My auto organize looks like this, except my sub directory album artist not artist. If you hit the button on the right of filename it'll give you all the options you need. I think disk number is under audio. and I would thoroughly check the info if you give auto tag a shot. and I added dashes between tags so its not all a jumbled mess

edit: auto organize is three below fields in tools - options menu
MMW5 - 2690 beta Gold
MMA2 - 1073 beta Pro
Phone - S23 Ultra - liked the S21 Ultra more
Not_tech_savy

Post by Not_tech_savy »

Auto organize with filename including disc#
Do it any order you want is that what you're going for?

Also when you get to auto organize hit configure on destination search bar thing to bring up menu. once have the info set how you want it'll do your entire library if you want it to
MMW5 - 2690 beta Gold
MMA2 - 1073 beta Pro
Phone - S23 Ultra - liked the S21 Ultra more
Bruce_R

Post by Bruce_R »

Thank you, Not_tech_savy. I'll have a look at that.

Lowlander, I finally got what you are saying... that when I lookup the CD info, that the track name contains the artist. Here is some curious behavior:

When I pop the CD into the computer, it looks up the info, and displays what you see in the main window. When I select the option to lookup the CD on the right-click contextual menu, I get different results. There are 2 listings for these discs because it was available as a single concert or as part of a box set. But on either of those (in the foreground window) list only the title of the track in the title field. In the background window, you see both the track title - artist name. I have my Options>Library>Metadata Lookup set to Musicbrainz only. Is the program looking up the metadata from another database before I use the right-click contextual menu? If so, where is that search configured?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

By default MediaMonkey will look at data the CD has about itself as well do a MusicBrainz lookup automatically. Some results from MusicBrainz do contain Artist in the Title (so you have to remove this prior to creating filenames based on Title).

Disc# isn't always available or correct from MusicBrainz. Windows doesn't display it for M4A ALAC files, but the value is stored in the tags (as seen by MediaInfo).
Bruce_R

Post by Bruce_R »

So my iPhone already has a ton of my library on it, synced by iTunes. I selected what songs I want to keep on my phone in MM. Will MM create duplicates, or check to see if the file already exists on the iPhone? I assume that MM will put the files on the iPhone in the same directory structure that iTunes will. Is this correct? Sorry this is not related to a bug, but it looks like 4550 tracks are syncing to my phone at the moment.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I'd start fresh when switching applications for Sync.

MediaMonkey uses the iTunes structure for storing files (there is no option to not do this).

Are the files already on the iPhone also in the MediaMonkey Library?