Moving files under "folders" does not update database

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

terryo

Moving files under "folders" does not update database

Post by terryo »

In MM4, moving the location of a folder in the left window under "Folders" automatically updated the database.

In MM5, the database keeps the old location and shows an error when I try to play the music. MM5 requires the additional step of using "locate missing/moved files"

What is the logic behind making this aspect of library management more time consuming?

The only bright side is MM5 is so much faster at finding things that I can select a meta-folder (genre, compilation, country...) instead of clicking down to the exact album folder. I'm really pleased with that.
Lowlander

Re: Moving files under "folders" does not update database

Post by Lowlander »

Are you seeing this on the latest release of 5.0.2: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86639&sd=d
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

and how are you moving the files:
  • drag and drop, or cut and paste, or SendTo, or rename?
  • and all within the left panel (Media Tree), or is your target in the main panel, or .. ?
btw am unable to replicate this issue
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
terryo

Post by terryo »

I had two tabs open for the source and the destination folders. I cut the album folder from in the source tab and paste in the destination tab.

I am using 5.0.1.2433.

I wait for full release and don't load beta versions.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Are you doing this in Folders or in Music > Location?
terryo

Post by terryo »

I don't know what you mean by "Music>Location"

I locate the folder I want to move in the left sidebar and often have two tabs open so I don't have to scroll between locations in the left sidebar.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

What node in the Media Tree (default left side bar) do you use: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... 0#Location
terryo

Post by terryo »

Is "Folders" a "node"?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Folders is not Library node, but rather Windows explorer Node so updates to files there do not add files in library, except if tracks are in MM library.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
terryo

Post by terryo »

I am not trying to add files under the Folder in the left pane. I use it to move an album's folder location because in MM4 a move in the tree panel automatically updated the library.

Moving them in Win Explorer required me to use 'locate missing/moved', so moving them in the left pane was greatly preferred.

I haven't done this in about month so the operation in MM5 may have changed to match how MM4 operated.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
terryo wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:35 pm I haven't done this in about month so the operation in MM5 may have changed to match how MM4 operated.
Most likely as MM 5.0.2 have bunch of Drag and Drop fixes.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

terryo wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:05 pm I locate the folder I want to move in the left sidebar and often have two tabs open so I don't have to scroll between locations in the left sidebar.
My experience is that best way to achieve this in MM5 is to close the left sidebar panel. The Folders, and the Location, node has a Folder Tree built into the panel. It is better than the using the Media tree. Power scrolls works better (ie. type something, and the views scrolls to what you typed), and the UI doesn't seem to fight with itself so much.

See this diagram
  1. Close the Media Tree (left panel) by clicking this piano thing
  2. Turn off Recursive if you are working with a large collection (off is when the icon has an embedded + sign, as shown)
  3. Navigate into the top level of of your drop location (this populates the View Element choices that is used in the next step)
  4. Open the dropdown menu
  5. And then activate the Tree (Folders) View Element
  6. This opens the inbuilt File Tree mentioned above
  7. [This and the remaining steps are not shown on diagram] Right click were you need to make a new folder, and take option New Folder
  8. Switch over to your Source tab; select track(s) and Cut
  9. Switch back to the Target tab, and Paste directly into the new folder in the Folder Tree
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
terryo

Post by terryo »

I just had to move an album using the "folders" on the left side and MM5 updated the location in the library after the move. Problem solved. Thanks for the fix.