Level Tarck volume non-functional in Rip Audio CD [#13411]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

terryo

Level Tarck volume non-functional in Rip Audio CD [#13411]

Post by terryo »

In the Tools menu, "Level Track volume" does what it says and posts the adjustment in the Track Volume column.

Using the "Rip Audio CD" function and checking "Level Track volume" in the popup box leaves the Track Volume column blank.

Shouldn't these two identically labelled functions perform the same operation?
Lowlander

Re: Level Tarck volume non-functional in Rip Audio CD

Post by Lowlander »

It's on the radar: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=13411

However if you're leveling the Track Volume no longer needs to be used and you can use Analyze Volume if you want a value to be calculated.
Ludek

Re: Level Tarck volume non-functional in Rip Audio CD [#13411]

Post by Ludek »

terryo wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:12 pm In the Tools menu, "Level Track volume" does what it says and posts the adjustment in the Track Volume column.

Using the "Rip Audio CD" function and checking "Level Track volume" in the popup box leaves the Track Volume column blank.

Shouldn't these two identically labelled functions perform the same operation?
"Level Track Volume" always irreversibly modifies the track (converts to the calculated gain level) despite calling it from Tools menu or via the Rip dialog. You are probably mixing it with "Analyze volume" actions that just calculates the gain levels.
terryo

Post by terryo »

I'm not mixing up anything. The labels are identical in the two places of the program but they behave differently.
Peke

Post by Peke »

terryo wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:24 pm I'm not mixing up anything. The labels are identical in the two places of the program but they behave differently.
They behave same. Track volume should be empty as on RIP track volume is not calculated because tracks are already leveled directly in Audio. Track volume level is gain index for analyzed tracks and in coalition with set options at Tools -> Options -> Player -> Volume Leveling
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Actually seeing that alhough the coefs should go to zero in both cases it behaves slightly differently e.g. for track with Track Volume 7 dB it goes to something like 0.23 dB after the leveling. Re-opened https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=18083 , I suppose it should go to zero in both ceses (no matter from where is track leveled)
terryo

Post by terryo »

Now you are losing me.

First: Tracks going to zero are not common. My library has Track Volumes from -10.0 to +64.8. Out of 247,127 tracks, I have 3,669 with 0.0 dB.

Second: Level Track volume may in some sense perform the same in code under both the Tool menu and inside Rip CD, but in the user interface the behavior looks very different. Under Tools it fills in the Track Volume column with dB readings. In Rip CD it leaves that column empty.

Furthermore, after ripping a CD, if I run Level Track volume from Tools, it slowly works through the tracks gradually filling in the column. It looks like it is performing the leveling operation for the first time.

I don't know what your code is doing, but the behavior I see in the program interface looks very different.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Level Track Volume, will run each time you initiate it, even if it's the tenth time on the same file. So once files are leveled and you need to Track or Album Volume for some reason, you can run Analyze Volume instead to just get that calculated.
terryo

Post by terryo »

The fundamental question then is: Why does Level Track volume started under "Tools" fill in the Track Volume column in the library and the identically labeled Level Track volume in Rip CD does not?

To a user, that divergent behavior from an identically labeled function in different parts of the program is confusing.