Beta Testing for Mac MM

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

drakinite

Q: Are you planning to port MM5 to Linus and Mac?

Post by drakinite »

I'm wondering, since the majority of MediaMonkey 5's codebase is in HTML and JavaScript, it wouldn't be too difficult to make ports for Linux and MacOS, right?
I know how many Mac users would be interested in MediaMonkey, because it's designed for a more savvy audience; however, I think it would be really popular among Linux users for just that reason. Hell, just searching for "MediaMonkey Linux" provides plenty of articles on cross-platform MediaMonkey alternatives.
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
Peke

Re: Beta Testing for Mac MM

Post by Peke »

Hi,
If that is as simple as it looks. UI is Cross-platform, but CORE is still in Delphi and as MM5 release getting closer we are more looking into porting CORE CODE to MAC.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

Ahh, gotcha. I didn't realize that; I guess I was confused by the jillion individual JS and HTML files, but I forgot that compiled code can have a ton of individual source files that are compiled into one (or a few) executables. :stuck_out_tongue: Makes a lot of sense why you'd keep the core in Delphi, now that I think of it; because hooo boy would it be inefficient to have all the database and filesystem stuff handled by Chromium.
That's cool that you're gonna make a Mac version, though. Just wondering, is there a reason why you aren't planning on doing Linux as well? It doesn't really affect me, since I use Windows, but I would figure it'd become pretty popular among Linux users.
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Simply said until less then 2 years ago there was no Delphi Linux compiler and even now it is in its early stages. MAC compiler is much older, should explain itself.
Best regards,
Peke
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

I see, ok!
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Peke wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:23 pm Simply said until less then 2 years ago there was no Delphi Linux compiler and even now it is in its early stages.
Not completely true. I was at the Borland conference when Delphi for Linux was released in 2001. Its product name was Kylix.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Barry4679 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:57 am Not completely true. I was at the Borland conference when Delphi for Linux was released in 2001. Its product name was Kylix.
Agree, I stand corrected, I meant more on a Cross-Platform Compiler. Kylix was too complicated and I remember hen I tried it it required almost whole rewrite, to make even simple tasks done. This is bit different approach and with Delphi 10.4 using FMXLinux can make things much easier for developers.

FYI Original KSDev (above FMXLinux develeoper) Theme engine is used for MM4 that is later natively implemented in Dephi FireMonkey CrossPlatform apps. Only issue is time needed to develop things. I can only say that I see increased number source changes in OSx Project files as we are closing to MM5 release.
Best regards,
Peke
ABramley

Post by ABramley »

Just want to give another thumbs up for a mac version! Currently running bootcamp off an external drive just to use Mediamonkey :lol:

Keep going :)
ABramley

Post by ABramley »

Oh - also, not seen what you're thinking about regarding payment, but I think it's totally fair to expect to have to pay an upgrade fee for a major new release on a new OS. I'd be extremely put off by a subscription model though.
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

Yup. I'm very happy with MM Gold being a one-time payment.
tarasis

Post by tarasis »

The upcoming swap to Apple Silicon will further complicate things.

I can offer to test MM5 for Mac under Rosetta when you eventually get to that point. (I have a DTK)
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

Right, that change to Mac on ARM will make things difficult.
I suppose that they'll be depending on Delphi adding support for it.
Peke

Post by Peke »

drakinite wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:37 pm Right, that change to Mac on ARM will make things difficult.
I suppose that they'll be depending on Delphi adding support for it.
Apple is making bad bad choices and wants you to be completely dependable on them. This can be confirmed by any MAC user that needed to go to Genius Bar due the broken MAC for a fix and wanted to have their data back intact. Or currently if you break charging port you need to pay xyz number of USD to have your MAC fixed, loose data just because of an 10USD chip that is no way to buy except to rip it off 120USD charger but only if you have MAC older than 2018/2019 which do not have SN firmware tied to that MAC motherboard TPM chip which will not allow you you replace it, due the security reasons and Genius Bar ill tell you need 1200USD+ for the fix as whole motherboard needs to be replaced.

I can share more info in PM if needed, but frankly after ARM change things will just go worse.

Note: This is my personal opinion from 25+ years of experience in computer hardware repairs.

EDIT: Has anyone bothered to question why they didn't choose AMD CPUs? I'll leave you to your imagination.
Best regards,
Peke
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

Linus Tech Tips did a pretty good explanation on their reasoning behind choosing to make their own processors. https://youtu.be/KtgeS2hhV9U TL;DR: By making their own processors they'll save a boatload of money, and they'll be even less reliant on other manufacturers' supply chains. It's certainly not a bad business choice from them.
Now, I still strongly dislike them as a company and I really don't like their products. And their reliability is pretty bad. So we can certainly agree on that front.
Peke

Post by Peke »

drakinite wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:44 pm Linus Tech Tips did a pretty good explanation on their reasoning behind choosing to make their own processors. https://youtu.be/KtgeS2hhV9U TL;DR: By making their own processors they'll save a boatload of money, and they'll be even less reliant on other manufacturers' supply chains. It's certainly not a bad business choice from them.
Now, I still strongly dislike them as a company and I really don't like their products. And their reliability is pretty bad. So we can certainly agree on that front.
I am just afraid that after they have their chips manufacturers, there would be no way to fix your MAC at all as you will not be able to get the parts due teh fact they are "property of Apple and Apple is the one that can fix it for the price of new device". That is why I think that things like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Npd_xDuNi9k to get passed finally.

Re Linus, I agree on facts from tech standpoint and its benefits, but I doubt that it will get any better for consumers, especially after this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD7baUgz1tI happened to him and xyz other users on a daily basis. Having their own CPU would just put them in better position to take more money out of Innocent customers.
Best regards,
Peke