DSD Codec

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Michael Blair

DSD Codec

Post by Michael Blair »

Is there a codec (or whatever it's called I need to download and install). I don't seem to be able to play DSD files at all. They don't even show in my Library. I've got thousands of flac files but no DSD files coming up.
jwhitworth

Re: DSD Codec

Post by jwhitworth »

MediaMonkey does not support playing DSD audio. If a codec was available MediaMonkey would still have to convert to PCM and the "benefit" of DSD would be lost.
JaviAl

Post by JaviAl »

The only and first thing I expected in a new Mediamonkey version is DSD support in all formats: DSD64, DSD128, DSD256, DSD512. Other Music Players like JRiver, Foobar, Kodi, Neutron, Jet Audio, etc. do this,

Vast mayority of classical music in Hi-Res is in DSD.

Second thing i expected is more catalog options and views, more easy to see and catalog albums and music files, tags and capacity to catalog very large music collections, about 10 TB. of music files, very quickly. Perfomance, speed and stability.
JaviAl

Post by JaviAl »

jwhitworth wrote:MediaMonkey does not support playing DSD audio. If a codec was available MediaMonkey would still have to convert to PCM and the "benefit" of DSD would be lost.
Needs a codec to pass audio directly to the DAC in order to be DSD Native; or if the DAC does not support DSD convert to PCM and yes, the benefit of DSD would be lost, but i have the capabilities of catalog all DSD albums in the same manner and library that the rest of the file formats.

In my computer I listen DSD albums converted to PCM, but my computer is not my main device to play music, is my main device to catalog music. I also own a big Hi-Fi with a Decoder/Reciever/Amp that is able to decode DSD256 native, and also a portable DAP, FiiO X7, that is also able to decode DSD native.