View changes aren't saved [#15192]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

jimbob_sf

View changes aren't saved [#15192]

Post by jimbob_sf »

This is the biggest problem with MM5 for me. I haven't been able to figure out how the "views" think and that controls the user experience which isn't fun right now. I think I found where they're managed, but changes aren't being saved. I have to reset the view columns every time I enter and that can't be the intended design.

I tried accessing the Manage Views function. Any changes I make there seem to be retained if I exit and re-enter for a short period of time. If I stop/start the running MM5 windows service, the changes are deleted. I've tried creating a new list view, modifying... I've watched mediamonkey.ini and nothing is ever written there with respect to views (using a file diff tool).

Any help would be appreciated.

Win 10 Pro x64 1809/177763.104.
Barry4679

Re: MM5 2130: View changes aren't saved

Post by Barry4679 »

I see some instability, but not all that you describe. Sometimes it does seems to surprise me.

MM5 crashes a fair bit. It feels like MM5 doesn't persist settings unless it closes down naturally. Maybe that is what you are seeing when you close the Windows service? ... It would be good if changes were persisted more frequently.

I think that the Manage Views facility is a Work In Progress. It looks like an incomplete thought bubble at the moment.

The Tools|Options|Library|MediaTree is not as good as it was in MM4. ... MM4 had a "columns" tab where you could see, and set, columns and column order. This tab is missing on MM5. ... It would be good if it was added back, and also had some mechanism where you could configure for all, or all selected, Media Tree nodes.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
BMF

Post by BMF »

Barry wrote:
MM5 crashes a fair bit. It feels like MM5 doesn't persist settings unless it closes down naturally. Maybe that is what you are seeing when you close the Windows service? ... It would be good if changes were persisted more frequently.
I can conform this. A lot of changes in the options dialogue only persist, when MM is closed "the usual way". For example I have experienced this changing the hotkeys.

greetings

bmf
nothing but a bmf ....
--------------------------
Windows 10 Professional (64 Bit); MM 5 (lifetime licence);
iPod Classic, Sonos
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi,
thanks for reporting.

You are right, MM5 as windows service clears persistent.json (where the UI settings resides),
entered as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=15192
jimbob_sf

Post by jimbob_sf »

Ludek wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:57 am Hi,
thanks for reporting.

You are right, MM5 as windows service clears persistent.json (where the UI settings resides),
entered as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=15192
There's nothing better than the dev quickly confirming and identifying the issue! It explains a lot.