Problem with Enter Network Credentials dbox [#14345]

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey 5 and learn about the newest builds.

Moderator: Gurus

Barry4679

Problem with Enter Network Credentials dbox [#14345]

Post by Barry4679 »

I have a Synology NAS
  • open MM5
  • menu option File|AddRescan
  • press Add Location
  • select Netwok
  • double click my NAS
  • get challenged for credentials
  • supply credentials for profile with read|write credentials for my music share
  • get challenged again ... Access Denied
  • re-supply credentials in case of typo
  • get challenged again ... Access Denied
  • press Cancel button... get challenged again
  • repeat with the Cancel button 2 or three times
  • credential dbox closes, and the NAS has been opened to see the shares that I am authorised to
I emailed Ludek the debug file for the above steps.
Ludek

Re: 2149 - problem with Enter Network Credentials dbox

Post by Ludek »

Thanks for reporting, sounds like https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view ... 345#c51590
Added/updated the relation.
PetrCBR

Re: Problem with Enter Network Credentials dbox [#14345]

Post by PetrCBR »

Are you accessing NAS via IP or network name ? Did you tried to set same worgroup in NAS as you have in your PC ?
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

BTW: In the log that you have PMed me I see:

ConnectPath: \\NAS-PRIMOS01\music , error code: 1219 , error string: Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using more than one user name, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections to the server or shared resource and try again

By searching the internet the solution could be http://backupchain.com/i/how-to-fix-err ... -same-user
i.e. Instead of using the network name of the target server, use its IP address. That way Windows will interpret the IP address as a separate entry in its network connection list and there won’t be an issue.

Anyhow there hasn't been any change in this area between MM4 and MM5 -- so I suppose you are facing the same issue in MM4 too? Or not?
Peke

Post by Peke »

In additions to above just to explain how things work especially as 99.99% of NAS are Linux based.

FACT 1: The limitation in Windows is that you can’t connect to the same network server using two different sets of credentials (user name and password combinations).

FACT 2: Unlike windows on Linux/MAC there is no such limitation and you can use smb://<username>:<password@<hostname or ip>/<sharename>" (Example: "smb://john.doe:nicepassword@mynas/Multimedia", "smb://john.doe:nicepassword@127.0.0.1/Multimedia")

To avoid FACT 1 only way is to close/terminate multiple connections and connect again. Downside of that is that all other apps accessing resources are cut off.
So when you get 1219 Error do this:
1. Open CMD
2. type "NET USE" (it will list all connections)
3a. try typing "NET USE <share path from listing> /DELETE"
3b. if 3a fail and you still get 1219 Error type "NET USE * /DELETE" which should kill all connections
Best regards,
Pavle
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to add SCREENSHOTS to forum
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Firstly, I don't know much about network permissions, so my comments are probably naive.
Guest mode is not enabled on my NAS.
PetrCBR wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:54 am Are you accessing NAS via IP or network name ? Did you tried to set same worgroup in NAS as you have in your PC ?
I am not accessing the NAS by any name or address that I supply.
I am just browsing by opening the Network node in the tree that you build in the File|AddScan dboxes .... your Network node contains a subnode for my NAS (it's name) ... and a clicked to open it.

The workgroup names on my NAS and PC are the same.

Ludek wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:33 am Anyhow there hasn't been any change in this area between MM4 and MM5 -- so I suppose you are facing the same issue in MM4 too? Or not?
I don't experience any issue with MM4. ... I click File|AddRescan ... then on the node for my NAS ... it immediately lists all Share nodes

In MM5 I click File|AddRescan, then press the Add Location button ... I see the node for my NAS, and I try to open ... the wheel spins for 1 or 2 seconds, and then I get challenged, with a message saying Access Denied (this doesn't happen in MM4) What happens next seems a little different to what is logged in Mantis ... after some experimentation my steps can be made more simple :
  • press the Cancel button on the Enter Credentials dbox (shown above) ... ie. don't provide any credentials
  • do this three times
  • the NAS node opens

So credentials were asked for, but not required. ... You can't ignore the Credentials dbox ... you have to respond to it by pressing the Cancel button multiple times.
Ludek wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:33 am BTW: In the log that you have PMed me I see:

ConnectPath: \\NAS-PRIMOS01\music , error code: 1219 , error string: Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using more than one user name, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections to the server or shared resource and try again
A couple of things:

* you need to surface error messages like that ... it doesn't help if you receive and hide connection or credential error messages does it?
* secondly that ConnectPath may be causing the problem ... I have no public access to a share named "music" on my NAS .... ie. my music is not in a share named music .... that path may be coming from from something hard coded into MM? ... the share exists, but read or write access is only provided to a administrator profile
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Peke wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:03 pm In additions to above just to explain how things work especially as 99.99% of NAS are Linux based.

FACT 1: The limitation in Windows is that you can’t connect to the same network server using two different sets of credentials (user name and password combinations).

FACT 2: Unlike windows on Linux/MAC there is no such limitation and you can use smb://<username>:<password@<hostname or ip>/<sharename>" (Example: "smb://john.doe:nicepassword@mynas/Multimedia", "smb://john.doe:nicepassword@127.0.0.1/Multimedia")

To avoid FACT 1 only way is to close/terminate multiple connections and connect again. Downside of that is that all other apps accessing resources are cut off.
So when you get 1219 Error do this:
1. Open CMD
2. type "NET USE" (it will list all connections)
3a. try typing "NET USE <share path from listing> /DELETE"
3b. if 3a fail and you still get 1219 Error type "NET USE * /DELETE" which should kill all connections
Sorry, I didn't see your post before I wrote my last post.
Thanks for your info.

1. My NAS is Linux based.

2. I don't get a "1219 Error" ... if this does occur, MM hides it, which is not helpful

3. "NET USE" lists open shares, but it doesn't display the credentials being used. ... so this doesn't help me see what is going on does it?

When playing around while composing my last post, I rebooted then immediately opened MM5 ... the problem happened ... I am not aware of any auto-start job which would have opened a NAS connection ... and as demonstrated the problem goes away by pressing the cancel button three times ... ie. I don't have to close any connection using any other profile. ... So I think that this problem may be cased by some other issue.

But maybe you do point to another problem that I need to look into.

Music is played by my Sonos units, so even though I browse my collection it is via Sonos units, so there will be no share opened from my PC

But I do have a background task that saves period snapshots to my NAS ... this uses a different NAS profile to access the backup share on my NAS

So I think that you are saying that I need to convert this job to use my normal user profile? ... Just in case my MM use coincides with the snapshot schedule.

That would be pain ... I may try to test it.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Wonder what "NET USE" give you back as result eg. is problematic path listed?
I'll make small app that simulates 1219 error in order to see if we are on the right track. I can easily replicate it on my QNAP.

FYI
---
Error: 1219 (0x4C3) = ERROR_SESSION_CREDENTIAL_CONFLICT

Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using more than one user name, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections to the server or shared resource and try again.
---
Best regards,
Pavle
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Peke wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:28 pm I'll make small app that simulates 1219 error in order to see if we are on the right track. I can easily replicate it on my QNAP.

Peke, at this stage I am not sure that I have a problematic path.

I do not see any error messages.

I can access my NAS via MM5 OK ... ie File|OpenFile .... use MM5 browser to find a file on my NAS ... and then play it with MM5 ... no problem

I think that MM5 has a network handling bug in File|AddRescan's Add Folder facility

I would leave it until the Devs can check.

Peke wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:28 pm FYI
---
Error: 1219 (0x4C3) = ERROR_SESSION_CREDENTIAL_CONFLICT

Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using more than one user name, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections to the server or shared resource and try again.
---
I am not sure that I am creating multiple different connections BY THE ONE USER.

I can access the NAS via:
  • Windows File Explorer: browse to Network node, and open a share that I have rights to
  • Acronis: it is running on my PC; it backs up to my NAS using a separate profile to my user profile on the NAS
  • I can sign into the Admin facility on the NAS, from my PC, and create|delete|view files
None of these activities put anything into NET USE ... it remains blank ... and I don't believe that they conflict with MM

Only MM4 or MM5 puts anything into NET USE, and they are both using the one user profile on my NAS (I presume ... I don't know how to check ... do you?

Perhaps Windows Explorer, and Acronis, and logging into the Synology Admin facility, are each accessing the NAS via some Admin (ie. other user) User, or somehow are outside the Windows restrictions that you are referencing
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
We will see, I suspect very similar issue and Ludek already pointed at https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 71#p455046 that log contain 1219 error on access. I only note that I can easily replicate error code on MY PC and QNAP, also I'll try to make workaround, but I fear it will be more hack to go around windows limitations than actual fix.
Best regards,
Pavle
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

* you need to surface error messages like that ... it doesn't help if you receive and hide connection or credential error messages does it?
Yes, I have already added it yesterday as noted here: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view ... 345#c52146
It was accidentally removed in the past (in course of fixing #12365 )

* secondly that ConnectPath may be causing the problem ... I have no public access to a share named "music" on my NAS .... ie. my music is not in a share named music .... that path may be coming from from something hard coded into MM? ... the share exists, but read or write access is only provided to a administrator profile
Yes, I guess this could be the problem that explains the difference between MM4 and MM5 behaviour, I will check that. Thanks!
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

In MM5 I click File|AddRescan, then press the Add Location button ... I see the node for my NAS, and I try to open ... the wheel spins for 1 or 2 seconds, and then I get challenged, with a message saying Access Denied (this doesn't happen in MM4)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m4r9205ri9vo7 ... d.png?dl=0
What happens next seems a little different to what is logged in Mantis ... after some experimentation my steps can be made more simple :
press the Cancel button on the Enter Credentials dbox (shown above) ... ie. don't provide any credentials
do this three times
the NAS node opens
I am starting to understand, in MM4 you cannot even expand the manually added share, i.e. you need to add "//myserver/myshare/" manually in MM4 and then you cannot expand it in case you enter just the //myserver/ part like this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bdr23ehco0r18 ... d.png?dl=0

In MM5 when you enter "//myserver/myshare/" it adds '//myserver/' node that is expandable, and then (upon expanding) goes through all the shares and requires credentials for it.
In you case:
\\NAS-PRIMOS01\homes
\\NAS-PRIMOS01\music

So I guess that the solution is either:
- silently skip the subnodes (shares) where you don't have access (like home and music in your case)
- list only the entered share

Both solutions would work.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Here is and app I created to test issues with UNC paths http://www.happymonkeying.com/Releases/ ... gin1.0.zip

App is simple you can directly enter credentials to logon Shared Path and it check if other credentials were already used for that PC where you can try to connect with new credentials and let you know if it is successful. You can try to access music with admin credentials and with user credentials and you can create another user that have read access. Also I guess that \\SYNOLOGYNAS\home is like on my QNAP have different content for each user?
Best regards,
Pavle
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

The issue is fixed in build 2151.

The bug was just that easy that just listing the shares unnecessarily asked credentials for each share, while the credentials are needed only when browsing the share ;-)
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Ludek wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:03 pm The bug was just that easy that just listing the shares unnecessarily asked credentials for each share, while the credentials are needed only when browsing the share ;-)
Good.

I am still chasing down possible issues raised by Peke. Did that error that he mentioned come from your attempts to open shares? ... If so how|why would it be trying different NAS user profiles?
Peke wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:28 pm Error: 1219 (0x4C3) = ERROR_SESSION_CREDENTIAL_CONFLICT