MM5 & Chromecast Audio

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Lowlander

Re: Google Home Mini No Longer on Cast To Device List

Post by Lowlander »

Opposite for me, it's been working consistently for both Chromecast and DLNA devices.

Anyway if you have problems like this, please capture it in a debug log (step 4b) and attach it to a Support Ticket as the developers are really responsive: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643
Peke

Re: Google Home Mini No Longer on Cast To Device List

Post by Peke »

Hi,
When some devices are missing on network you can use free tool like https://www.advanced-ip-scanner.com/ (HINT: Hide MAC Address column) and send us screenshot of listed devices in your network. There you will see what MM see and what adapter is used.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
yarguy

Chromecast Audio Device Support

Post by yarguy »

My experience is that MM5's audio Chromecast support is very inconsistent and unreliable. Sometimes it is there and other times not, mostly not (though it does always find the TV Chromecast). Fortunately, I have other music players where audio Chromecast support is consistent and reliable. They get used - MM5 does not. I only keep MM5 around to sync to MM for Android.
Ludek

Re: Chromecast Audio Device Support

Post by Ludek »

Yes, if Chrome also does not see the Chromecast Audio in the list then it is not MM issue, but an issue with mDNS discovery and announcing the devices itself. Chromecast Audio uses just mDNS for discovery while other Chromecast devices uses also SSDP discovery -- this explans the difference.
Otherwise MM caches the discovered Chromecast devices for one week --- that's the explanation why other apps can see the devices while other apps can't, i.e. depending on the discovery cache timeout (once the announcement fails in the particular user's environment).
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

yarguy wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:06 amMy experience is that MM5's audio Chromecast support is very inconsistent and unreliable.
Have you captured this in a debug log: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643 My experience is that they're always shown.

Users over the years have reported that rebooting Chromecast and Router often resolves Chromecast issues though.
yarguy

Post by yarguy »

I have reported this several times with details and logs. MM5 always blames someone else for the problem. Chromecast works flawlessly with Roon. I never have to reboot anything. That's why MM5 sits mostly unused except for auto-organize; I doubt I have played a single track using MM5 in 6 months.
Lowlander wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:37 am
yarguy wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:06 amMy experience is that MM5's audio Chromecast support is very inconsistent and unreliable.
Have you captured this in a debug log: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643 My experience is that they're always shown.

Users over the years have reported that rebooting Chromecast and Router often resolves Chromecast issues though.
yarguy

Chromecast can't connect after connection is lost

Post by yarguy »

I know everyone is tired of me saying this, but MM's implementation of Chromecast in MM5 is very poor. Every other program I use - INCLUDING MMA on three different android devices - finds and plays to my Chromecast devices with no issues. MM5 can't even find them. I don't have to reboot anything to play to them from MMA yet the MM5 staff wants me to reboot things every time I want to play from MM5. No thanks, I'll use something that works.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
MMA and MM5 uses same library and approach to play to chromecast Audio, but unlike MMA that directly asks Android for Access in MM5 you have middle ware called windows that wants to control/preserve user privacy.

What Media Management apps on windows you have tried that works (exclude Roon for stated reasons)?

In our internal tests MM5 can play to Chromecast Audio, in fact even multiple devices at once as multi room device group.
Best regards,
Peke
rusty

Post by rusty »

Hi Yarguy,

I looked through your recent posts, but can't find a log illustrating the chromecast issue in a recent build. We've been unable to replicate the problem, so would you mind opening a ticket on our helpdesk and providing a debug log with MMW 5.0.1? Try to keep the test case as short/simple as possible (but include the entire log, from the moment you run mm5).

There's obviously an issue in your environment, and hopefully the log will show us why the problem is occurring in your enviroment.

Thanks for your patience.

-Rusty
Peke

Re: Chromecast can't connect after connection is lost

Post by Peke »

yarguy wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:27 am I know everyone is tired of me saying this, but MM's implementation of Chromecast in MM5 is very poor. Every other program I use - INCLUDING MMA on three different android devices - finds and plays to my Chromecast devices with no issues. MM5 can't even find them. I don't have to reboot anything to play to them from MMA yet the MM5 staff wants me to reboot things every time I want to play from MM5. No thanks, I'll use something that works.
This looks recent find/issue that like Rusty pointed we can't replicate. There is another report possibly related and described at viewtopic.php?f=30&t=99693 Can you please try to see if your and that one is related because it is very strange that MMA works and MM5 do not, we certainly would like to get to bottom of it.

Thank you.
Best regards,
Peke
pip_pill

Re: MM5 & Chromecast Audio

Post by pip_pill »

Similar issue!
Used to see all streaming devices available to MM5 seven in all :-
3 Google Audio (1 is currently off line), 2 X Receivers(1 is currently off line), 2X Android Streaming devices (Amazon TV and Nvidia Shield)

Now only 2 show up on the options of MM5 5.0.1.2433 (see picture)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/VAJn9kEDcuHVmSL16
1X Receiver and 1X Nvidia shield.

Picture shows Network Connections (circled 5 Streaming devices available)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/cuDFSE45BcGAQk1z7
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Do you see the devices in Chrome browser (on the same PC) after clicking the cast icon?
pip_pill

Post by pip_pill »

yes
for the Chrome Audio X2 (1 additional off line) and 2x android TV (Amazon Android TV and the Nvidia android TV)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ThhmZqt13fPHpuW57

No
the Receivers X2
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

OK, then please capture this in debug log and attach to eSuport ticket, see instructions 4b here: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643

Thanks!