Manage Views facility [#15756]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Barry4679

Manage Views facility [#15756]

Post by Barry4679 »

If the Manage Views facility is not going to be further developed for MM5.0 you should consider removing the Grouping option ... it adds nothing except confusion ... ie. it does nothing ... it has only one value, and that value is chosen as the default even if I do nothing ... and once set, it cannot me removed ... or am I missing something?

Consistency:

The Tools|Options facility has tabs for:
  • editing of MediaTree nodes .. add|delete|change a node
  • edit panel contents ... what to display ... whether to display

But nothing for Adding or Modifying Views ... ?

Views are global, just like the MediaTree and the panels. ... so why different?
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Ludek

Re: 2185 - Manage Views facility

Post by Ludek »

This functionality is still being developed, see e.g. https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=15756
Barry4679

Re: 2185 - Manage Views facility

Post by Barry4679 »

Ludek wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:09 am This functionality is still being developed, see e.g. https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=15756
Thanks for the update.

FWIIW here are my unsolicited thoughts :-? :
  • you are considering deferring release of MM5.0 for that? ... if I had a vote, I would not vote for that
  • the existing Manage Views facility already has some useful function ... ie. I can define various combinations of list views ... ie. which columns are displayed, in which sequence, and how the rows are sorted ... that is already a useful function
  • it is OK that the Views are global (ie. available in all nodes) ... MM4 had some "Sharing" facility for node settings, but it was messy, and I never found it useful ... global availability is OK IMO
  • but maybe a simple new "Views" tab in the Collection Options" dbox would be OK ... something simple; eg. a check button list, showing all custom View names, so that the user could hide any views which are irrelevant for the node being edited

And that the Grouping option should be removed, unless you are going to add settings additional to "Album" ... ie. grouping by artist|albumArtist|genre|Composer|etc

But I wouldn't further delay release of MM5.0 just for that.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.