Auto-Tag from Web - splitting albums

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Linwood

Auto-Tag from Web - splitting albums

Post by Linwood »

I'm struggling to understand how to use MM correctly to tag, but I see what appears to be a difference in 4 and 5 that is annoying. Or that I haven't figured out.

The issue is that I have albums that are being split up by the process. Some of them were iTunes albums, and I wondered if perhaps Apple had created their own albums, but I have been ripping old CD's and are hitting the same issue. So I know for sure they came on one, single, original CD.

I think it has happened in MM4 but in MM5 it happens all the time.

I went into options, metadata lookup, and took album out of the list of metadata under Auto-tagging, Metadata, Audio. The list of sources is musicbrainz, tvdb, imdb, and I have checked "Group tracks within a single album if possible" and "Prefer faster" so it might not send fingerprints.

With those settings, MM5 scanned (as an example) what I have as "A Knights Tale" with those settings, and it splits off Takin Care of Business into a separate BTO album.

With "Prefer faster" not checked where it sends all fingerprints, it split that album into 10 albums, leaving only 4 tracks in the original album group.

Running MM4 on a fresh rescan of the same physical files, by default, it does not split the album at all (though I think originally it may have, as I think each track had the album artist different as it came from iTunes, and I changed to "Various" while only working in MM4).

Is there a setting, or something, to say "Do the best you can but do not change split the album, period". I expected that to happen by setting (or more precisely removing) album from the metadata list in the options.

And is it purposeful, or wrong, that MM5 is worse about this than MM4?

Thanks, Linwood
PetrCBR

Re: Auto-Tag from Web - splitting albums

Post by PetrCBR »

Auto-tag in MM5 is completelly different than MM4 implementation. It should prefer used album/album artist combination if track is found in MusicBrainz database. Can you send me some sample tracks using some file sharing service (petr <att> mediamonkey < doot> com).
How to make a debuglog - step 4b: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643
Linwood

Re: Auto-Tag from Web - splitting albums

Post by Linwood »

Email sent with album and before/after screen shot from MM5. Thanks.