Chromecast hangs while trying to connect [#13277]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

happynumbernine

Chromecast hangs while trying to connect [#13277]

Post by happynumbernine »

I have a Windows 10 Home PC with Intel Core I7-8700, 64-bit, 16 GB RAM, and MM5 Beta v.5.0.0.2221. My music is stored on a NAS and the PC is connected to ethernet. MM5 runs from the PC, not the server.

When I try to Chromecast from MM5, the spinning wheel in the top right corner goes on and on, trying to connect, and eventually I get the message "The xxx audio player is turned off or inaccessible."

If I switch to Chrome and cast from a tab (YouTube, RadioParadise, SiriusXM, or any other streaming site) it connects and plays immediately. I've tried streaming from MM5 with no other windows or applications open, to be sure that no other app is connected to Chromecast.

I have verified that MM5 and the Chromecast devices are all connected to the same wifi network. I've searched your mm5 forum and have not seen this problem discussed.

I am not a very sophisticated user, so It's certainly possible that I have messed up a setting somewhere (I remember trying to figure out DLNA settings, for example).

I've also tried sending a bug report, but it always hangs and does not go through.

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.
Ludek

Re: Chromecast hangs while trying to connect

Post by Ludek »

What is the type of the Chromecast device?

Probably a debug log (item 4b here https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 30&t=86643 ) would show more.
happynumbernine

Ludek, thank you for the prompt reply. I will try to generate a debug report.

I have 3 Chromecast devices. One is an Ultra, and the other two are 2nd Generation (model NC2-6A5-D).
happynumbernine

Here's a debug file. I hope I did this right. Let me know, please.https://www.dropbox.com/transfer/AAAAAI ... gpZJirLUZ8
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi, in the log I see that you send file
Y:\Music\Steely Dan\Pretzel Logic\01 Rikki Don't Lose That Number.m4a
to the device "Main audio (Google Cast)"

The file was served as http://192.168.86.81:18777/ItemID=24885.m4a to the "Main audio (Google Cast)" and the device replied with
OnCastMessage: LOAD_FAILED: {"requestId":1,"type":"LOAD_FAILED","detailedErrorCode":104,"itemId":1}

Couldn't it be that this kind of m4a file is somehow unsupported by the cast device? Could you try to cast MP3 file to rule out that it is because of the file format ?

EDIT: By searching the internet the 104 really means MEDIA_SRC_NOT_SUPPORTED

EDIT2: Note that you can set up auto-coversion for the unsupported formats (for particular cast device) like this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jwebtm6n5f5hp ... 3.png?dl=0
There is a default for Chromecasts, but your file probably isn't matching it for some reason. Would you mind sharing the m4a file with us to analyze and adjust the default supported formats ?
happynumbernine

Forgive me for the very slow response. How can I share that file with you?

Harrison
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Send him or me Download link to a affected file in PM, so that we can analyze.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Thank you for the file.

Looks like your device do not support ALAC as Streaming format.

Try These settings (Sorry for MM4 Setting, it is almost same as Ludek Above):
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi, to configure the Chromnecast profile use rather the 'gear' icon associated with each output upon clicking the Cast icon on the player:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8cznirvwaerow ... 0.png?dl=0

I will adjust the default Chromecast auto-convert profile for ALAC: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=13277

EDIT: currently it is possible only to set up a rule per file extesnion, i.e. M4A (ability to differentiate ALAC from HE-AAC/LC-AAC in the M4A container to be implemented in course of https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view ... 277#c49678)

So current workaround for you is to add a rule for all M4A files (by clicking the 'gear' icon assiciated with the Chromecast output per my screenshot above)
happynumbernine

I tried that and when I click on "Ok" on the final settings dialog, I get the message "MediaMonkey is unable to encode this format." If I click on "Find Missing Codec," it asks me to install MM5 Codec Pack 3.0.2, which I already have successfully installed.

I tried reinstalling the Codec pack. It says it successfully installed, and then asks me to restart MM5. When I do that, a dialog box pops up that has 2 error messages that go by too fast to read. I'll try to create a debug file and message it to you.

I really appreciate you staying with me on this issue.

Harrison
Ludek

Re: Chromecast hangs while trying to connect [#13277]

Post by Ludek »

Hi,
as for your log, I forwared it to responsible colleague to look into it.

If you restarted MM5, does it work now?

Otherwise this is the rule that works for me to play your file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8mo71oetk2zjd ... 5.png?dl=0
i.e. add rule 'M4A above 528 kbps' to differentiate ALAC (that is mostly above 528 kbps)
happynumbernine

Yes, after restarting MM5 works, but it still has the same problems with M4A files.

I tried adding the conversion rule both as a general rule under Tools/Options, and as a rule in the Chromecast settings. The file still is not playing - same problem, unable to connect to Chromecast. :-/

Harrison
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Strange, works fine here with your file and the new rule.

Could you send me another debug log?
I.e. start DbgView, start MM and cast the file, wait until the error appears and save the output from DbgView
happynumbernine

Ok, I will send you the debug file. This time it tried to play the entire album without success. No error message came up, but it didn't play and just rolled from one song to the next.

Remember I had error messages when I tried to install the Codec file - could it be related to that?

Harrison
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

In the log I see that the tracks are still sent as M4A to "Main audio" player.
It looks like if you did not add the M4A > MP3 convert rule.
Could you attach a screenshot of what you see if you click the cast icon on the player and then the 'gear' icon next to the "Main audio"?